Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ♥ Introducing Mr. Turkle ♥

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    I'm sorry Mott the Hoople died, but on a lighter note I love that name!!
    All The Young Dudes, eh? When I was mad at him, I'd yell and call to him, "Mutt! Mutt, come here!" and he'd fly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    Aww what a beautiful bird. I'm glad that he is well socialized, I know lovebids can be a bit nippy. He really is adorable. I wonder if his color is going to change?
    Mr. Turkle is testing his boundaries by nipping now. He gets a firm "Don't bite!" and a time out in his cage for each nip.

And as Mr. Turkle is a year old, his colours will not change. His wings were clipped at the pet store, and now one flight wing is growing in; it is pure white. You ought to see...I really have to try to drum up some interest into taking pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    They really are beautiful birds. Didn't know anything about them. Nice thread Pippin. And very nice of Mr. Pippin.
    When we adopted Mott The Hoople, we didn't know anything about lovebirds, either. No worry, just let the lovebird teach. We humans have to wing it, sorry for that awful pun.

Birds teach us. They own us, and not the other way around, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    What a wonderful and happy surprise. Mr. Pip sounds awesome.
    Mr. Pip (Pippin) was our late African Green Singer's Name, Sprynkles. He passed over when we moved, due to stress. Have you ever heard an African Green Singer sing? There's a link directly under the African Green Singer description where you can here one sing.

The most glorious sound!

Oh, I cried when our Pippin Piper passed away. I was especially angry because our friend Boris, who I've spoken about on this forum many times, and his galoot of a daughter were arguing and screaming and carrying on over a stupid cheap IKEA computer desk and its mantling. Is that the right word? If someone dismantles something, then I imagine if someone puts it together, it's mantling it. Don't mind me; I make up my own words and expressions sometimes.

They were hollering so loudly that I rushed to grab Pip's cage away, and then Boris looked at me in an expressionless way and said, "He's dead."

That was good for a bucketful of tears and rage.

I could have kicked myself for not having isolated Pippin to begin with, despite the fact that Boris and his "Papa...I'm hungry" six foot tall, two-hundred and something daughter was hungry.

It was partially my fault, but though I don't know how old Pippin was; he was a rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    He is just lovely! All spring colors. Mr Pip did a great thing. I love birds of all kinds. He is a special addition to your home. Just a love.
    I love Mr. Turkle's colours, too, but I never thought of his colouring as relating to spring, but you are right.

He's turned out to be a mummy's boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Awww, Pippin! Those birds are absolutely gorgeous and I'm really glad that Mr Turkle is fitting right in with you. And Mr Pip deserves a pat as well for surprising you

I really didn't know that some birds could be house trained. Is it just love birds and similar or can other types be trained too? In my first shared house one of the others had a budgie that was the bain of everyone else's life and crapped all over everything (amongst other issues...) and that really put me off having birds.
    Parrots can definitely be house-trained. It isn't hard to teach them, either, when you look at them and understand their body language. I've known some birds who have ruffled up, and and owner has placed a paper towel underneath their feathered bottoms and has said, "Go potty," and the parrot does it, and that's the end of it...sorry for the pun.

It's an advantageous trick to potty-train any pet bird, especially the larger ones.

Our late Mott and our late kakariki, Sneak, naturally taught themselves not to poop on me...unless they were angry at me for some reason.

If you own a dog, you train the dog.

In my opinion, birds are smarter than dogs are. They train themselves for the most part; some need a little prompting.

We had a budgie who became annoyed when I did my crossword puzzles either in the newspaper or from a crossword puzzle book. That was our male budgie, Westhaven, aka Westie, aka Westie the Pestie.

"You did that on purpose!" Bill used to hear me shrew at Westie. I'd gone to the washroom, returned to sit down to my puzzle only to find one of Westie's calling cards on the grid.

Mr. Turkle is learning to do it, too. Remember, parrots are often like little kids and Mr. Turkle figures that the pen and that odd piece of paper that his old ma is writing on is taking attention away from the attention that he feels he so richly deserves, and that he feels should be his.

He not only tries to puncture the newspaper with his sharp beak, but if I get up to say, go to the washroom, when I return to the crossword and The Turk, I notice that there's a Turkle calling card directly on the grid where I should be writing.

He is manifesting the same behaviour that our late Westie did.

The late Victor the budgie is so intelligent and speaks in context and understanding; it's quite something.

PEST!

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Pip - what gorgeous colors on these beautiful guys!
    Brookie, not only are lovebirds beautifully coloured, they have, for the most part, equally colourful personalities.

Lovies aren't very large, but they pack a feisty punch and I adore them.

He is gorgeous! I have never had a lovey but have always thought they were beautiful. My smallest parrot that I have is a parrotlet. These little birds do think they are big birds, that is for sure!
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by baked_tater View Post
    What a beautifully colored bird, so soft and pretty! What a cute pet.
    Thing is, a parrot like Mr. Turkle is not going to be a pet. He is going to be a friend.

And I don't own Mr. Turkle; he owns me.

I don't mean to be snarky in my correction, but I know the intelligence of birds.

I'm a scofflaw and illegally feed the wild birds across from our house. Our town's laws advocate that it's strictly forbidden to feed wild birds such as crows but Mr. Pip and I don't care.

We blatantly put out food for our wild crow friends....until the Gestapo pulled up directly across the street, looking for evidence or old chicken bones. A dog walker must have complained about ye olde chicken bones.

We still feed our wild bird friends. We have just relocated the feeding area, we have moved the feeding area right down by the riverbank. The area directly by the river slopes downwards, so on a good day, we can manoeuvre our old bodies down by the river to feed our pals.

Don't get me started about how intelligent crows are. *shakes head* If I didn't have eight pet birds, I would adopt a crow in an instant, if I could 'borrow' one from his/her mother, without mother's approval and without feeling badly, as crows should be left where they are.

I dearly love crows and I have stories to share about my past and ongoing association with these very special birds.

Starlings, also corvids, are interesting birds. They mimic anything, same as crows, iincluding the human voice. Thing is, this bird is caged.

To view Techno speaking

Much as it's tempting to adopt birds from the wild, it's an abomination to imprison a wild bird.

Quote Originally Posted by MsChiff View Post
    ♥ Oh I know this one.. I found this out last weekend while playing around on the computer.. easy version: hold down Alt and then press the number 3

Wahhhhhhh-lah! ♥♥♥

forgot to add: those birds are beautiful and I love your names for them Pip! Very sweet!!!
    Mr.Turkle is a love, MisChiff.

I love your user name, by the way.

Do you know how Mr. Pip and I chose Mr. Turkle's name? We chose it after watching one of our favourite films, "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" Mr. Turkle is an orderly who easily becomes bribed to host a party of sorts in a mental hospital, or how should we say it now, with all the PC irritation that is assaulting us all...a building that houses people who suffer from sensitivity irritation publicatus....

Mr Turkle: " It's the Supervisor!" *gasp*

Mr Turkle: "You know how it is; sometimes a lovebird gets awful lonely, you unnerstand?"

Supervisor: Get that woman off this floor, Mr. Turkle.

Mr. Turkle: Yes, ma'am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information