Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: I'm rescuing/getting a Cat

So happy for you! What a great match. Follow her lead-she will have her own quirks so just have fun!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

My new kitty is obsessed with cat toys - my big fat boy prefers chasing ribbons, but my little girl has half a dozen toy mice that rattle and at least 3 or 4 times a day I have to pull the couch out and rescue all the mice trapped underneath. She likes anything noisy and especially loves shooting her toy ball with the bells in it all around my wooden floors in the middle of the night. Little bitch.
    Brookie and Kittylady like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

My cats really loved all the toys that made a crinkle sound.

And all of my cats loved these toys by a company called Fat Cat. The toys were called Kitty Hoots. They're soft and filled with catnip.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Put scratching posts everywhere to dissuade the cats from scratching your carpet/furniture. I think the best are sisal - they last forever.
    We have two scraching posts - one in the living room (because we shut them out of there at night) and one in the dining room. The living room one is ancient, battered and has been through not only our three abusing it but also two of the MIL's cats and they still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Vouch for crystal cat litter - it doesn't smell and is much easier to keep clean. Worth the extra $.

If you don't already have a bed for her I would recommend a little igloo (not sure what they're called elsewhere) because they love feeling safe and snug in their own little caves.
    I wouldn't go to the expense of an igloo just yet because in my experience cats are assholes and will sleep anywhere but snuggly expensive cat beds. I would suggest that you seal up a cardboard box, cut an entrance hole in one side and then put in a blanket or old sweater inside. If the cat decides she likes it and spends a lot of time in it then you can always cover it in some cheery paper to make it more decor friendly.

We have two cat trays and keep them in the bathroom as it is downstairs and just off the kitchen. We use the clumping clay litter simply because it works out more cost effective for us at only £1.55 for 10 litres as the three shit machines burn through the crystal stuff too quickly, but for less kitties crystal is worth a try. Odours generally aren't a problem (unless *someone* has been feeding them olives and sardines in chilli sauce again) because I scoop/top up twice a day and use an antibacterial/odour control powder with every complete change and scrub the trays out with hot soapy water once a week.

We also don't spend a great deal on cat food either as Kitsy has to be kept on a particular supermarket own brand dry food or else she gets explosive diarrhoea and no amount of gradually phasing in more expensive brands has worked so Misty and Pandora have had to learn to put up and shut up because mummy does not like cleaning up trails of poopy paw prints. They do get wet food twice a week to vary their diet a little, but only in small amounts as that is all Kits can cope with. Also learn to lie to your cat. Sometimes they'll decide that the dry food isn't fresh enough (it's been down 20 whole minutes!!!) so take the bowl, stir it up and then either shake the food container over it without letting any fall in or add something stupid like three fresh biscuits. Mine haven't got wise to this con - yet.

Toys - get some but be prepared for your cat to be a fickle little bitch and ignore all but one. I have a house full of jingling balls, cute little toy mice and all kinds of catnip filled goodies but they seem to prefer screwed up paper balls, boot laces and anything that ISN'T a cat toy (like my hair when its in a braid). One thing is a must and that's a laser pointer. Don't bother with an expensive especially for cats one that projects pretty red outlines of mice or butterflies, just get a cheap one that does the red dot. They seem to prefer that and it will become your cat's greatest foe.
    ikmccall, gas_chick and Sassiness like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Can't seem to upload picture
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Aww so you rescued one? I must see a picture! Congratulations.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Yes.. I will figure it out
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

diva!! we need a picture.
    what are you using to upload the photo?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Tuxedo kitty! Look at it's beautiful paws. Details please!
    *DIVA! and Jazzy like this.

This is JoJo...nickname Fatness Everdeen. She is a yelling, surly, chunk of a sweetheart!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I just love her! I hope she gives you as much happiness as my little lady has given me. When I had to put my other girl down last year I couldn't imagine ever loving another cat as much, but my Olive is such a joy. Everyone who meets her loves her because she has such a sweet nature. It's like the kitty gods sent her to me when I needed her most.
    Kittylady likes this.

She has a lot of attitude!! I have not picture I am going to upload. So sassy!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Ohhh! I love me some tuxedo cats too...she has great markings! Reminds me of my Jonny boy except he has a sweet lopsided mustache.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Thank you!! She is my pretty girl.

Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information