Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm putting my cat down today

Elite Member

Yanna, just checking in to see how you are doing? This is such a difficult situation.

Like McJag, I did the "put if off" thing as well. My cat eventually became too ill to even leave the animal medical center. I finally gave in. I went to her oxygen chamber to tell her goodbye. The staff let me remove her myself. It was a horrible thing to witness. Just as I took her out of her chamber she was grasping for air, she couldn't breath. She kept clinging to me. I was dying inside. She took her last breath looking into my eyes. I have never felt so darn guilty or selfish. I was holding her so tightly and close some of her hair came out into my hand. I kept her hair, tied it in a bow. To this day her picture, with her hair in a bow is framed and hanging on my office wall. I still cry for her, that was 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    Yanna, just checking in to see how you are doing? This is such a difficult situation.
    Thanks for asking Aly and thanks to everybody else who has commented since the last time

I'm doing well. It hits me the hardest the moment I walk in the house. I'm trying to prepare myself as I'm walking up the stairs "she's not there, remember, she's not there" and yet my first thought the moment I walk in the house is to look for her and to go feed her. It's getting really hard to be alone in the house. I look for company, I call people up or I get out not to be here and remembering everything over and over again.

I don't cry, I don't think I have cried at all since we buried her. It's just this dull feeling, this emptiness. I don't want another cat. I don't think I will ever want another cat but it's still too soon to know. At some point the hurt might get easier.

Mitsuko adopted us on a winter night, 18 years ago. She was hiding under a wrecked car two streets from my house. My mother had come to pick me up from the bus stop and this cat came out from the car and started following us, mewling the whole time. We let her in the house and she was so hungry she even ate bread for the first and last time.

When Mitsuko found us and decided to adopt us, she still smelt like shampoo. Whoever had her before decided to just throw her out in the street. I don't know how long she was there, scared, hungry sick.

We named her Mitsuko because she was so tired and had suffered so much her eyes looked slitted. We were sure she was an old cat so we were shocked to discover when we finally took her to the vet about a week later that she was only 8 months old and she still had some growing up to do. She had serious diarrhea and she was dehydrated so the vet wasn't sure she was going to make it. I still remember my shock when he said that. I hadn't really cared so much about having a cat until then, I didn't worry about the responsibility and what it all meant but I loved her fiercely at that moment and I was terrified that she was going to die because we hadn't taken her to the vet sooner.

She survived of course. I never knew what that person who had washed her with Johnshon and Johnson No more tears and then thrown her out in the street had named her. I never knew why they did such a terrible thing. I guess they too never found out what happened to her. It was their loss.

Maybe she wasn't abandoned, could be she ran away from home after her bath, or maybe someone left the door open and she got out. It seems strange that someone would bathe her and then abandon her. I know a few of our kitties who are usually indoor cats have gotten out on occasion. We've been lucky to find them each time. Our latest addition was abandoned though, we saw him in the neighborhood prior to him adopting us and assumed he belonged to one of the neighbors. But when we checked, no one claimed him. He was in bad shape though, very thin and starving, dirty, and had the worst ear mite infection. He came to us just in time.

You know what, Yanna? Start keeping your eyes open. Mitsuko will send you another cat, I'll bet. So be alert-somewhere out there a kitty is waiting for you. Let's just see. Please tell us when!

Alysheba-you and I learned a hard lesson. At least we can warn others.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yanna - I'm so sorry you had to put your beautiful little kitty down. You gave her a wonderful life. She was a much loved cat and when the time is right, I know you will make another little cat very happy too.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Maybe she wasn't abandoned, could be she ran away from home after her bath, or maybe someone left the door open and she got out.
    Considering how much she hated baths it's a slight possiblity but I really don't think so. She couldn't have wandered that far and for most of her life she was an indoor-outdoor kitty. She would go as far as 2 blocks away and then come back in the house, in through the bathroom window, completely independent. If whoever had her before had made even a minimal effort they would have found her. My guess is that it was someone from a different neighbourhood who got tired of having a cat in their apartment and decided to load her in a car and bring her here because this is a nice neighbourhood with gardens and all that and many people have pets.

The scenario I'm describing is not that unusual, unfortunately. Around 2 years after we got Mitsuko, someone dumped 2 kittens in our garden at almost the same time, one was a siamese and the other a semi-feral kitten. We managed to get the siamese adopted since my mother's sister came to visit and fell madly in love with it. It was good because we loved it but Mitsuko did not share our feelings at all and had been trying to kill the poor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Considering how much she hated baths it's a slight possiblity but I really don't think so. She couldn't have wandered that far and for most of her life she was an indoor-outdoor kitty. She would go as far as 2 blocks away and then come back in the house, in through the bathroom window, completely independent. If whoever had her before had made even a minimal effort they would have found her. My guess is that it was someone from a different neighbourhood who got tired of having a cat in their apartment and decided to load her in a car and bring her here because this is a nice neighbourhood with gardens and all that and many people have pets.

The scenario I'm describing is not that unusual, unfortunately. Around 2 years after we got Mitsuko, someone dumped 2 kittens in our garden at almost the same time, one was a siamese and the other a semi-feral kitten. We managed to get the siamese adopted since my mother's sister came to visit and fell madly in love with it. It was good because we loved it but Mitsuko did not share our feelings at all and had been trying to kill the poor thing.
    Gee, that's sad. My MIL (bible thumping witch) refused to have her cats spayed/neutered and as soon as their endless litters were weaned, she would take them to different neighborhoods and dump them. We offered to pay to have them fixed, arranged everything with the vet, and came to pick them up. They were nowhere to be found, she claimed they knew we were coming and ran away. She was a truly awful person.

How did the Siamese do at your aunt's, is s/he still alive? Lucky kitty to find a home so quickly. Semi ferals/ferals are hard to place, in our area they mostly do trap-neuter-release for them and come around to feed/water them every day. We rescued a feral and her 2 kittens at a Walmart garden center almost 9 years ago, we saw them while shopping for plants and asked about them, found out the manager wanted them gone and was going to poison them. So we asked permission to trap them.

The mama was pregnant again, but she miscarried. She was quite wild, but almost 9 years later, she is a lap cat who gives kisses. We still have one of the kittens (of course not a kitten any more 9 years later ) too, the other one got very ill and passed away a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    How did the Siamese do at your aunt's, is s/he still alive? Lucky kitty to find a home so quickly.
    Valeria, the Siamese is now around 16 years old. She's old and she has a growth on her belly but she's had a couple operations and she's doing ok. My aunt who adopted her gave her to her aunt, my grandmother's sister who spoilt her rotten her entire life. She's always had the best to eat, the best toys to play with and absolutely everything she ever wanted.

Candy, the semi-feral was difficult to deal with. We were feeding her and doing our best to take care of her but at some point she disappeared. We're not sure what happened to her. Things are hard with ferals. I have a few in my garden now. I feed them and always try to leave some water out for them now that it's very hot but the death toll is high, esp. for the kittens and there's not much I can do for ferals. I've had some of them spayed but I get new faces all the time. I wish people would be more responsible with their pets [/understatement]

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I wish people would be more responsible with their pets [/understatement]
    Oh yes, irresponsibility is the root cause of all this. I HATE people who don't spay/neuter and let their pets roam.

Oh Yanna, Mitsuko's such a beautiful girl. She lives on forever in your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    You know what, Yanna? Start keeping your eyes open. Mitsuko will send you another cat, I'll bet. So be alert-somewhere out there a kitty is waiting for you. Let's just see. Please tell us when!
    Yes McJag!! On February 15 we had to put our beloved pup Liza down. Hurt so bad to lose one of the family. My son and I haven't been the same since. Well on the 4th of July we were at my mother's farm, having a cookout and swimming in the pool. It was getting really dark and my mom's dog was going nuts, barking at something out in the pasture.

My son shined a flashlight and saw eyes glowing. He walked over and saw a black figure close to the ground. Realized it was a dog. He called out and the pup crawled towards him.

So pitiful, this poor baby was emaciated. Every bone sticking out, covered in ticks, could barely stand. We're thinking he's about 6 mos old at most, his teeth are very white and he still squats to pee. Some kind of Black Lab mix, hard to tell he's so thin. Should probably weigh at least 35 lbs at this point, but weighs a mere 12 lbs. Somebody must've dumped him.

Anyway, we've taken him in and he is the sweetest dog ever!! So very grateful and loving. My little girls have been calling him "Midnight". He's been eating like a horse and looks to have picked up some pounds even though it's only been a few days.

Something really special is that 4th of July was our Liza's 13th birthday-- maybe I'm nuts, but to me this dog was sent to us. It's like Liza showed him the way, she knew we were thinking of her on her birthday, and knew of the hole in our hearts. Knew we'd bring him refuge.

So sorry to hijack Mitsuko's thread, sweet Yanna... but I couldn't agree more with McJag about keeping the doors open. No other pet can ever replace the ones we've lost, but that love goes on and there are so many out there who need us.

If I can figure out how to post pics from my phone I'll show you just how thin poor Midnight is. But not for long.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post

Alysheba-you and I learned a hard lesson. At least we can warn others.
    Once again McJag and I are on the same page. This is what happened. My little Maggie had been gone a year and half. On Christmas Eve night, our company had left and we had forgotten to close the garage door. My son, age 4 at the time, kept telling me he could hear something in the garage. I dismissed his pleas. So the little scutter goes to open the door to the garage, yells out, momma. At this point I knew something was up. There she stood, around 6 months old, almost identical to my little Maggie, except this kitty didn't have a white mark on her lip. Without thinking, I called Maggie's name. I scouped her up, fleas and all. She is still with me. She is an angel sent from Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    So sorry to hijack Mitsuko's thread, sweet Yanna... but I couldn't agree more with McJag about keeping the doors open. No other pet can ever replace the ones we've lost, but that love goes on and there are so many out there who need us.

If I can figure out how to post pics from my phone I'll show you just how thin poor Midnight is. But not for long.
    Don't apologise, sweetness. Mitsuko was a rescue herself so she would understand. Almost of all my pets have been rescues. There's just a deeper bond there. Not that I didn't love my dog that was bought in a pet shop for a nominal price (and would have been put down otherwise, most likely), or my other two dogs who had been puppies I chose. But there's just something when an animal ends up coming to you somehow or adopts you instead of the other way around.

I teared up reading about your doggie. You're so wonderful to adopt him. Keep feeding him and take him to a vet for those ticks and whatever else he might have. Poor baby. I think Midnight is an awesome name. You should definitely post pics, here or in a thread for him. I'm definitely interested in hearing more about him. I'm more of a cat person but I still love dogs very much.

Speaking of dogs, there is an old boxer dog near my work. Lately she hasn't been looking too good. I always talk to her and pet her a little and she wags (what's left of) her tail. But today when I spoke softly to her and tried to pat her head she got aggressive and snapped at my wrist. She didn't bite me but it felt like a warning and then she started growling and barking at me. It's so bizarre. This dog had been pretty friendly to me before. I'm thinking she's sick and she's feeling insecure. I'll stay away from her, wouldn't want he to hurt me.

Elite Member

Yanna, you have such a huge heart with tons of space.

yanna, i can't believe i didn't see this thread until now. so sorry for your loss. she was a gorgeous kitty. hope you're doing all right. *hugs*
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    yanna, i can't believe i didn't see this thread until now. so sorry for your loss. she was a gorgeous kitty. hope you're doing all right. *hugs*

awww, don't worry about it. I'm doing fine. I miss her terribly but she was an old kitty and I had a long time to prepare.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information