Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm putting my cat down today

I am so sorry, it's so hard. We are going to have to do this - yet again - pretty soon. One of our kitties has inoperable cancer and is starting to go downhill, after doing well for quite a while. It hurts a lot, I really feel for you.

I am so sorry for you and all of the other folks who have had to make this difficult decision. I've had to do this several times over the years with our pets and it is heartbreaking. I make the decision this way - if the quality of life is poor for the animal and they cannot do anything that gives them enjoyment, then it's time. The last time we had to do this was 5 years ago with our dog Cinnamon - she was 7 years old and had lymphoscarcoma. We knew the day she couldn't stand up anymore and wouldn't eat, that this was the time. I was so hysterical in the vets office that they asked me to leave the room.

Yanna I really feel for you. My 13 year old cat just died in January but I didn't have to make the choice to put her to sleep. I'm not sure I would have been strong enough.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I can relate because I have a 15 year old diabetic cat that is also in renal failure,and I dread the day I have to make this decision. I've had him since I was 15 years old,and it sickens me inside when I think of how hard it is going to be when the time comes to let him go. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

It's over. The vet came at 9:30 pm and it was all over within 15 minutes. I'm glad that he could make a house call because I didn't want to take her there to be put down.

I cried a little right after but there was also a measure of relief because she's not suffering anymore. I think that there's a lot more crying in my future, though. I'll miss her so much. I already keep thinking that I can hear her. I live alone and she was my companion. I'm not sure how I'll manage in the house all by myself now.

Thanks to everyone for the hugs and for sharing your own stories. I feel that I let it go on for a little longer than I should. She was still walking around, eating and all but she kept trying to pee and she was peeing blood. I could tell she was in pain.

I'm going to go bury her tomorrow morning. I'm lucky that a friend is coming to help me with that since I didn't think I could do it all by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    It's over. The vet came at 9:30 pm and it was all over within 15 minutes. I'm glad that he could make a house call because I didn't want to take her there to be put down.

I cried a little right after but there was also a measure of relief because she's not suffering anymore. I think that there's a lot more crying in my future, though. I'll miss her so much. I already keep thinking that I can hear her. I live alone and she was my companion. I'm not sure how I'll manage in the house all by myself now.

Thanks to everyone for the hugs and for sharing your own stories. I feel that I let it go on for a little longer than I should. She was still walking around, eating and all but she kept trying to pee and she was peeing blood. I could tell she was in pain.

I'm going to go bury her tomorrow morning. I'm lucky that a friend is coming to help me with that since I didn't think I could do it all by myself.
    Bless your heart-I know is was hard, We will be here all night if you need us. We know all too well how you feel..many hugs. Be good to yourself, like she would want. I am all teary.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I had to do this with my 18 year-old cat a couple of months ago. It is SO nice that the vet was able to come to your home, as mine did---kitty was in the comfort of familiar surroundings with no yucky clinic smells and sounds! Because you cared for her so much, you'll no doubt feel a lot of grief and even guilt, as I still do. But it was a gift you gave her.

And I totally relate to the sense of relief----I don't have to worry throughout each day that he's feeling bad. So focus on all the great, happy moments you had together, and the good life she had because of you!
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Aw, hope you get through the next couple of days okay.. sucks!!!!!
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Love and hugs to you.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Lots of hugs, Yanna. I did the same and he had the same thing as yours. It's the right thing to do when they don't have interest in water anymore. My Dusty was 16.

They are our dear friends. I'm so sorry and very sad for you.

I know it's hard, but you did the most loving and unselfish thing possible. Bless you, sweetie.

Big hug! I had to put my baby down last year and it was hard but it was the right thing, to watch them suffer is awful but it doesn't make it easier. Just know you did the right thing and plant some catnip on the grave.
    "Well isn't that special"

plant some catnip on the grave
    Haha, she wasn't interested in the stuff at all. Total dispappointment.

I'm stuck with a bunch of special food for poor renal function which I don't think the stray kitties will appreciate much.

I'm doing ok at work. I came here right after we buried her with my brother. We found a really nice spot on the mountain not far from the cemetery where my mother is buried. It's a pity I don't believe in life after death because I like the idea of them keeping each other company. My mother is buried in the family grave with her in laws and she never liked them much.

We will be here all night if you need us.
    Thank you so much, McJag! I know that

XOXOXOXO

You're a good mommy Yanna.

I wasn't, a couple years ago when I let my sick rescue kitty suffer and pass at home. I was sefish, and afraid of the hurt it would cause me to put him down. What I did is FAR more painful, and it sticks with me.

Bless you dear.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    It's a pity I don't believe in life after death because I like the idea of them keeping each other company. My mother is buried in the family grave with her in laws and she never liked them much.
    I also don't believe in an afterlife, but I really, really want to see all of our dear departed critters again. Maybe we're wrong and will have a lovely surprise some day.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information