Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think my little dog is nearing the end

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

God, I cry everytime I post on this damn forum.
    Anyway, I am so sorry to hear about your dog's health. I am glad I've always chosen to keep my pets' ashes and I always make donations to animal causes in their names.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My Elmo has just celebrated his 10th b-day Well, the sad thing is I had forgotten that it was his b-day at the end of last month. I can never remeber the exact date, it's like Feb, 27 or 28th. He's 10 yrs old now and is getting older and older, it's really too sad and depressing to think about. I've never really dealt with any death in my life directly (only my grandfather but I was young so I don't remember that much) and I'm really afraid of losing someone I love, I don't think I can handle it. What I can do right now is just make each day the happiest for my Elmo.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Bella, I'm sorry to hear that. Nothing will take the pain away, not even time. I don't mean to shock you, but be prepared.

Enjoy every moment with your dog even more consciously and intensely. Do everything as if it was the last time. Take even more pictures. Spoil her, spoil her, spoil her.

Sometimes dogs are so attached to their family that they stick around longer than it's good for them. Watch out for that, you might have to make an unpleasant decision soon.

Other than that, always tell yourself that the only reason it hit you this hard is because you had the privilege of having a great puppy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    My Elmo has just celebrated his 10th b-day Well, the sad thing is I had forgotten that it was his b-day at the end of last month. I can never remeber the exact date, it's like Feb, 27 or 28th. He's 10 yrs old now and is getting older and older, it's really too sad and depressing to think about. I've never really dealt with any death in my life directly (only my grandfather but I was young so I don't remember that much) and I'm really afraid of losing someone I love, I don't think I can handle it. What I can do right now is just make each day the happiest for my Elmo.
    But Elmo is small, those little dogs are tough as hell. You'll have many more nice birthdays with him. Don't worry, Moomies.

Our dog died last year. She was 13 . We burried her in our garden and planted flowers on the grave.
    It was so cold outside and that's all I could think about . How she was just not suppose to be outside when it was so cold . She liked her spot in front of the heating and not in front of the fridge .
    My brother gave one of his stuffed animals he got from his girlfriend to my mother . That little dog still has its place on the couch

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    God, I cry everytime I post on this damn forum.
    Anyway, I am so sorry to hear about your dog's health. I am glad I've always chosen to keep my pets' ashes and I always make donations to animal causes in their names.
    argh! i cry too when i read these!! dont let anyone tell you "its just a dog" dog people understand, the "outsiders" never will...they are family. If she perks up when she goes outside, i would take her out as much as possible, let her do what she wants...give her treats...make this time the best of her life..and when she does pass you will know that you gave her the best life she could have...its so hard to lose an animal..and i dont think you ever really get over it, kinda like a close family member...you get past it, but you dont get over it.

A friend of mine is going through the same thing, but her dog is in worse shape and she refuses to put him to sleep. He has lesions all over his body, he can barely walk..cant see and she will not put him to sleep. At that point, i think its just selfish to keep an animal like that alive just because you will miss him. You all know i love my animals, but i refuse to watch one of mine suffer because i cant bear to be away from him.
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Yes the pain is bad but in my case time did help. In my case it was a cat which I still remember fondly. After a while you'll get over it in a way. You will miss it but in a fond manner. At least that's the way it was for me.

Yo before someone yells i'm kissing asses,

I just wanted to say it's awesome how members in here are so supportive of other peoples problems. It's great to see a bunch of strangers showing compassion and emphathy towards one another. I find some of the support and advices you get in here are sometimes better then the ones you get outside the computer.

Aww you're a bunch of sweeties (and no i'm not sucking up)

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY 'N' NUTS View Post
    Yo before someone yells i'm kissing asses,

I just wanted to say it's awesome how members in here are so supportive of other peoples problems. It's great to see a bunch of strangers showing compassion and emphathy towards one another. I find some of the support and advices you get in here are sometimes better then the ones you get outside the computer.

Aww you're a bunch of sweeties (and no i'm not sucking up)

whats that on your nose??

just kidding!! i totally agree...i was actually shocked to see the support and advice on some of the threads/forums...when i first came to GR, i was actually a lil afraid to post, because well..some people on here can rip you a new asshole in 2 seconds, i noticed that is mostly on the latest pics and gossip threads though. There are some great people on here (o geez, here i go now) and so many different points of view, that i dont think you can get with people you see everyday.
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Hi everyone.

I'm so sorry for all of your losses. I don't post here that often but when it comes to animals and loss I always want to help.

Bella, I'm sorry your little girl is struggling. It's so difficult to describe the love we all have for our pets. The unconditional love that pours out of them is so overwhelming!

I lost one of my dogs last November. She was seven and developed Hemolytic Anemia. She was fine one day and then barely alive the next. She lasted a week but I didn't want her to suffer so I chose to have her put to sleep. It is always a surreal feeling when you let them go. All I can say is that I feel it's important to be there when they pass. A lot of people think they can't handle that but I think we can do so much more than we believe we can. I know my dogs would be there with me to the end so I want to do the same. That's just a moment you don't want to miss out on no matter how tortuous it is. But that is just my opinion.

Since her passing I've spoiled my three other dogs. Life just seems so much shorter now. I think it's great that you take her for walks. She will let you know when she's not enjoying life any more. I know our pets try so hard to please us but at some point you just know that they don't want to be here anymore. You have to be brave and let them go.

Your little girl sounds like she has some fight left in her so hopefully she has some quality time left. She sure is adorable.

This past weekend, one of my other dogs fell on her leg while catching a ball and tore her ACL and now needs surgery. She's nine years old but still has so much life left to live. She won't play ball again, at least not like she has all her life; and it's terrible to watch age slow her down, but I have no regrets with her and will never give up on her until she gives me that look of "Please, let me go."

Enjoy your little girl. When she starts to suffer and her quality of life is gone then you have to make a decision. But like everyone has written, you have that love for her because you share a special bond. I know that bond doesn't end in death so you'll see her again.

My prayers go out to all of you and your pets. Thanks for always being so sweet to one another. It's refreshing to be reminded of the goodness of people especially when others are feeling down.

In case anyone is reading this who has an elderly pet and just "can't bear" to follow the Vet's advice to have the pet put down-that was me once and I will never, never forgive myself! He could have had a sweet gentle death ,but NOOO! I wouldn't listen. I had to be alone with him when he died and it served me right! Please don't be selfish like I was.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The elderly dog who has lost sight, hearing, and now smell, from old age, will let you know when it is time. Your cat or dog or other pet suffering from a disease or irreversible condition will tell you when he or she just really really doesn't want to do "this" anymore. They will tell you, just watch and listen. It's up to them to decide, and then it's up to you to hear them and then be merciful, with as much love and gentleness as you can offer up.

McJag, The deathcry is painful and intimate, and never to be forgotten. The two of you shared it together. Your post gives good advice but please forgive yourself. Death comes, and is not always pretty. He may have even have been comforted that you were there.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Thank you,Reptillycus. He trusted me to do the right thing and I failed him. It was a bad lesson & one I don't want anyone else to go through. You are right-listen to your pet...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Oh McJag, like Reptillycus wrote, don't blame yourself. You didn't fail your boy at all. You WERE there for him. He DIDN'T transition alone. There is no way that he would look at you and think that you were failing him. You WERE there. I watched my girl waste away for a week while I got opinions from everyone about what to do. I felt terrible for waiting when I knew all along what needed to happen. I was overwhelmed with guilt until I realized the pain I felt came from the feeling of love we had for one another. No one can be faulted for loving another creature!!! What was important is that I was there to comfort her just like you were there for your boy. You can't go back and change history and I'm certain your boy was comforted just knowing he wasn't alone. He didn't know any different. As far as he knew you were there and this was how it was supposed to be. YOU DID NOT FAIL HIM!!! Now, DON'T FAIL YOURSELF! PLEASE! He's crossed that "Rainbow Bridge" and spends his time remembering what a wonderful Mom he had. He's with you in spirit. Please forgive yourself and feel his unconditional love. His pain is gone. It was but an instant of his wonderful life. The love you shared will last for eternity!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Thank you,Reptillycus. He trusted me to do the right thing and I failed him. It was a bad lesson & one I don't want anyone else to go through. You are right-listen to your pet...

I choose to believe that he knew that you loved him and that you were trying your best to do the right thing.

Next time you will be braver...
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

It's absolutely true, listen to your pet. We had a keeshond for 15 years, Timber. He had arthritis and the vet gave us some meds which helped him walk better, and added about 6 months of quality life, though I had to carry him up & down stairs. People can be so insensitive and say "oh just put him down". Piss on them, they don't know anything.. You know your pet better than anyone.

3 years ago this week, Timber stopped eating. Wouldn't even eat Pepperoni. I knew it was coming, he somewhat lost bladder control. My birthday was April 1, and I spent it sitting with Timber on my lap because I knew the end was coming. When my husband went to work the next morning he said he just had a feeling, and told Timber he was a good dog and we'll miss him, and it's ok to let go. (I'm tearing up just writing this and it's been 3 years). My kids called me later that day (April2) and said Timber was curled in a ball and whining/crying. I knew the time had come. I went to my boss and told him. I called my vet and they said to bring him in. I called my mom who was Timber's Grandma and always took care of him during vacations, etc. My mom said she'd come with me to take Timber. I picked him up in a blanket and lifted him in my Jeep. He stopped crying, he knew I was ending his pain. The vet was WONDERFUL and understanding, and said that the signs Timber was showing meant that his body was shutting down anyway and most likely would've died within the next 24-48 hours on his own. My mom and I stayed with him until the end, and comforted him. When we got back to my house, we walked in the back door, and just started bawling. For 15 years, Timber would greet us at the back door and this time he didn't. It was horrible. I rank the death of my dog as probably the worst things I've ever been through. My kids were in their rooms crying when I came home. My son had Timber's collar (he still has it hanging in his room with all his tags from over the years). I laid in bed and cried all weekend after that. My son was holding the collar and I could hear the tags jingle, and the sound was unbearable, too painful. I swore never to get another dog, because I never wanted to experience that deep of sorrow ever again with the loss. However, after 2 years my kids and husband were wanting another dog. I had no part of it. They brought home a boxer puppy they named Rocky. He captured my heart the moment he walked thru our back door. He's a great dog, but Timber will always hold a special place in our family history, even had family photos taken with him which I cherish.

To all of you out there, sorry I rambled on, but wanted you to know to just follow your heart no matter what anyone says, and to share my story, hopefully giving others comfort knowing they aren't alone. YOU know your pet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information