Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I inherited my daughter's puppy...

Gold Member

For the smell, Urine Gone. It comes in a black bottle, used to be on tv only and I swear by the stuff. I have a spiteful dog. Well, maybe not spiteful but she freaks out if I'm not around and/or she's alone. I've left the house for 20 minutes to take my son to school and come home to find that the gate to our living room was open and she peed in there.

As far as training, I've had more trouble with females than the males. I tried to bring in a chihuahua about a year ago, well, by the end of the week I was threatening to pee on the floor just to prove that I am indeed the alpha female in this house.

Anyway, get the Urine Gone. Soak up the spots, then spray the stuff. Wait until it dries completely and then shampoo or steam the floor. No smell or stain is left.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

I love plain ol' club soda. Just pour some on the tee tee. Put a white towel over & a stack of white paper towels. Stand flat on it-it will wick up. Takes out stain AND smell-cheap!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys!
    He is doing much better, only a few accidents now. I have noticed he can be spiteful, too. I wouldn't let him come out with me to take the garbage to the can, and when I got back in, he squated right in front of me and peed! I just yelled no real loud and took him outside.
    I try to take him out as much as he "asks" to go, but I swear, he will go to the door 10 times in as many minutes. I want to try and take him out each time, but he has a puddle in the drive way that he loves to play in...most of the time, I can tell if he has to go-especially to poop-he whines a little. One day I tried to finish something before I took him out, but he couldn't wait...he pooped right in front of the door. He just kind of hung his head and looked at me, he knew that he should have gone out, but I just didn't get to him in time.
    He is so smart! We have taught him to sit, lay down, and he will "guess" which hand hubby has the treat in!
    I have also noticed that he acts differently when my daughter is there, too. She is still living with us until next week when they get the apartment ready, but has been gone a lot moving things and painting. He has more accidents when she is there, and I don't really understand that one...he minds me and the hubby when it is just the 3 of us, but when she comes in, he goes nuts...I told hubby it's like a child who behaves when his parents are gone, but acts like a heathen the second they walk into the door.
    We are also trying to break him from biting and chewing on us. I have bought him all kinds of toys and bones to chew on, and tell him "no biting" and give him one of his toys to chew on or play with...
    He is such a sweet baby, and he is getting so big! He turned 3 months old on the 18th, and already weighs 25 pounds. I know he is going to be a big one!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Yeah, dogs can be very smart and they definitely have personalities. Just stay consistent. The chewing thing is bad; I had to break a dog of this because when she was a tiny puppy people would let her chew on them and they would think it was cute; how cute is it when she's 85lbs?!?!?!?!
    Next thing to work on is sit and stay as soon as anyone enters the home; no jumping. Lucy still gets excited but she wiggles while sitting if that makes any sense.
    Dogs are so awesome!!!!!!!!

A*O

It's natural for puppies to chew things (unfortunately). He will grow out of it, especially if you discipline him, but in the meantime it's safer to keep precious stuff out of his way. I lost a very nice antique rug when two dogs decided to 'punish' me for going out without them.

Sounds like the housetraining is working. If he's a smart dog he'll quickly learn. Has he been de-sexed yet? If not, please do so. It calms them down considerably and they don't feel the urge to mark their territory on your furniture!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

We haven't had him fixed yet, but we definitely intend to. Someone told me with large dogs you should wait until they were a little older...something about the hormones they needed for growth? I have no idea, I had never heard that one. Anyone know about that? He is going to be a big one, for sure. He was 3 months old on 3/18 and weighs 30 pounds and is strong as an ox!
    We have every kind of bone and chew toy you can imagine to try and give him plenty to chew on besides us.
    I have noticed he wants to get his revenge on me when I get onto him for chasing the cat. Poor Lucy has always been kind of senile, and she does not care for this dog. Two nights ago I made him stop chasing her and he got in my bed--on MY side--and pissed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information