Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I feel so bad

Instead of leaving the dog outside unattended (where it seems to get into trouble) how about go outside with it until it poops/pees, then bring it back inside? The most time that would take is 15 minutes, 4 times daily and you and the child might even benefit from the fresh air!

Other than that, buy a chain and tether. Some screw into the ground (for smaller dogs) others can be attached to laundrey lines/trees/fence posts and other objects to keep the animal away from certain areas, in this case the side of the fence where the female in heat lives.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Bronze Member

well, its nice to have fenced in yard, but a dog generally finds trouble due to boredom. A large breed like a husky, needs exercise and stimulation, and sitting in a fenced in yard daily does not qualify as exercise. She needs someone to toss her a ball for 1/2 hour in the a.m. and p.m. or perhaps a long walk. Of course her need to wonder the neigborhood is due to her not being spayed. If she is exercised appropriately, you will send a different, and happy dog! Good luck

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

^^^^All dogs, but especially huskies, need lots of human interaction and can quickly become destructive when bored. They can never be off leash and need to be contained because they were bred to run long distances in one direction. It's so important to research a breed before getting a dog.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^Very true. I would love to have a Husky or other big dog because I love taking walks and going on hikes. I also love lots of interaction with a dog (or cat or any other animal).

I can not say how important it is to SPAY AND NEUTER your pets.

People tend to buy animals on impulse without taking into consideration the needs of the dog vis a vis their own lifestyles. Then the dogs become "bad" dogs and end up abandoned or at the pound. When, oh when, will people realize that when you take an animal into your life, YOU are responsible for that animate creature for as long as it lives? That is why I am completely against giving animals as presents unless the receivers have done their research and specifically requested them.

The disposable mentality of our culture -- the whole idea that animals don't have emotions and are ours to treat and mistreat at will -- really creeps me out. Their emotions may not be the same as ours, but they still have them.

I do not blame you-this situation just got more than you could handle. I think all the dogs would benefit from an owner who had more time and interest. Our no-kill shelters are over booked and yours might be too. What might work is Craigslist-but set a list of criteria & go examine the potential home. A lot of young couples read & love Craigslist-just the high energy kind who may be looking for a doggy companion. OR Husky rescue-there should be one.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

thanks for all the responses i feel like total shit. and mcjag thanks for being postive it helps in this situation to have a few postive words to end with. i don't know if this is possible but could the mods take this thread down i am tired of worrying and tired of being stressed on top of it all i am still chasing the dogs around the neighborhood. so i am exhausted. i still don't know what i am going to do. but it will be done soon. i am going to just make myself make a decision wether i feel guilty or happy i need to do this on my own cause some of you make me feel like shit. thanks

^^I am sorry you feel that way. I think people are just giving their honest opinions. I certainly wasn't talking about you in particular. I hope you can find the dog a good home where it will get more attention -- huskies are such wonderful animals and I'd hate to see yours come to a bad end.

All responsible pet owners need to spay and neuter their pets, tho. If you can't afford to pay for basic vet care for a pet, that's another pretty big indicator that you shouldn't have any. Spaying is a lot cheaper than aborting and spaying.

The disposable mentality of our culture -- the whole idea that animals don't have emotions and are ours to treat and mistreat at will -- really creeps me out. Their emotions may not be the same as ours, but they still have them. I couldn't agree more. We aren't talking about some designer handbag you spent too much for on impulse that just sits in the back of your closet for years. This is a LIVING being that has feelings and needs and really gets attached to you. I also happen to know that if parents value animals as living creatures that deserve commitment and love then their kids probably will,too. If the parent demonstrates the attitude of "Oh well, this is too much of a pain, Barney has to go" they are teaching their kids that these lives have no real value. plenty of people with kids have households with multiple animals and the children are very involved and dedicated because that is the example they were given.

Look, pets are not for everyone, just like kids aren't for everyone. There is no shame in realizing that the lifestyle with animals just isn't for you, for whatever reason. That doesn't make anyone a bad person anymore than not wanting to have kids makes someone a bad person. It's about being a responsible person . She obviously made a mistake and hopefully will learn from it. It's just frustrating that there are serial animal dumpers who get one/give it up, then a year later get another one and do the same thing. Getting a pet just because your kids want one isn't a good enough reason, either, because an animal is NOT a toy that you play with until the novelty wears off. No parent should get a dog/cat/pet unless they know they are willing to continue to care for it even if the kids get bored with it or forget to feed it.

Honeysuckle:I think it is clear people are objecting to this particular behavior and not judging you as a human being based on this issue alone. However, it really isn't everyone's responsibility to make someone feel okay about doing something that many of us will naturally find abhorrent. The thread doesn't need to come down, you just need to stop reading it if it upsets you.

it is like a car wreck i can't look away but i need to. i grew up with animals. cats and dogs. but this is the first time i have had an animal while being an adult. i am only in my mid twenties. so it is not like i do it all the time. and money is not the ordeal either hell we paid almost 2k to have the lab ridded of heart worms. and i did not get the dog and then have a baby i had the baby first and then we got the dog. but yes i did not do my research on how much time a husky would take we were just looking to find toga(lab) a friend and she(husky) was a litter that was not planned and i was trying to help a friend out by adopting her. but it is all good. a good cry helped alot. i understand what i am do is not resposible but it has to be done because they deserve better than what i can give them.

I'm sorry that you feel so bad, sweetie, try to relax, take deep breaths, and stop crying. Maybe this decision was spurred by irresponsibility, but maybe your end decision is the most responsible one for the sake of the dog. I'm sending you hugs, I know you're not a bad person. Take care.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

^^^^I know you may not believe me, but I really do understand what it feels like to bite off more than you can chew, so to speak. Out of my wekness for abandoned strays I ended up with 4 male cats. Eeek! The first two I adopted from the pound, the other (fourth) was given up by a younger 20-something that just couldn't handle the responsibility (couldn't handle a cat?). The third I adopted when we moved to the country because he was roaming hungry in my old neighborhood. Jesus. This third one butts head with one of my original ones and they are always competing for dominance. Well, you can imagine how pleased my husband (not a major cat fan to begin with) was to find this cat pissing all over his clothes multiple times.

For a while I made an honest attempt to find another really good home with another cat lover. It really bothered me because this cat is actually one of the most loving ones I've ever met in my life. But he and the other fought to draw blood and the pissing issue was major because I do share a house with this man. Well, I got no takers and hubby started keeping his door closed so now the cat just pisses in my bathtub and on my bath mat. Joy for me.

Honeysuckle, the best thing you can do for the husky is to have her spayed as soon as possible, before you re-home her. You wrote that she came from an unwanted litter herself, so you can imagine where her puppies might end up if she does have them. The only way to eliminate the huge pet overpopulation problem is by spaying and neutering, and not adopting out any unspayed/unneutered animals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information