Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Humane way of killing rats/mice?

HA!

This thread is funny because this is a very pertinent subject to me at the moment. I went to get some food from my corner cupboard Sunday, and realised that some of the cakes had been nibbled at. Great, thinks I, got to get mouse traps and went through the thought processess of which kind of trap to get, humane, poison, glue etc etc. I also gave the cat a verbal kicking for not doing her job.

This morning before I went to work the cat was hanging round the corner cupboard, so I opened it.....for less than a second the 3 of us all paused...me, the cat, and the mouse, who was sat bold as brass on a box!

Mrs Fenchurch caught it and ran upstairs with it, whereupon she dropped it and the little fucker managed to escape out the back door. The cat is now in our good books.

Get a cat.

Mrs Fenchurch
    VVVVVV

its not very clever to use a cat for this issue unless u want to catch different kind of virus etz that can eventually be transmitted to humans

If catch & release isn't an option and a quick painless death is the goal, it's a tough call. Even the traditional spring/snap traps don't always work as intended.

I don't like the glue traps b/c people will just throw them away live, and you don't know if they starve to death, get mangled in the trash, tear pieces of themselves off trying to get away... Although maybe if you collected the mice on the glue trap and then quickly ended it with a well-placed hatchet to cut the head off immediately. That's only if you want to get really hands on, and have good aim!

A*O

You could approach the problem from a different angle and make sure the areas where they are active are totally clean and tidy so there's nothing to attract them in the first place. Mice/rats are usually after food so either lock it securely away or remove it altogether and make sure the floors are swept so there's no tasty debris for them. Once they realise there's nothing to eat they will go and infest someone else's place.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^ V.v. true. Excellent point, like avoiding mosquitos at the source (standing water) instead of waiting for them to come and then resorting to pesticides.

I have those plastic traps that keep them safe and don't kill them. I hate mice, but there's no way I can kill them. We walk a block to an open field and let them go, then never make it back to my house.

I just can't bring myself to kill them, they just want to live and chill in my home because it's warm with food. I put them back where they belong so I don't have any guilt.

My neighbors put out rat/mice poison in their backyard, but they have a dog of their own and we have neighborhood cats. I don't do that kind of shit, sorry, it's not worth it!

They're vermin..BBGun
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I once had a cat who was a dedicated mouser. It was like his one true calling, even though he was well fed. BUT ...

Surely I'm not the only person who has noticed that cats don't necessarily go for a clean kill? The cat in question liked to play with rats and mice. He would bat them around like toys. One day he brought one toward me in his mouth, and the mouse's eyeball fell out of its socket and came bouncing along the carport toward me.

I had many other cats, growing up, and they would try to run in our house with mice and rats, or just parts of them. One time, one brought in a lizard with the tail removed, and then we couldn't find it. Eventually we discovered it glued by its own bodily fluids to a closet floor.

If you like cats, by all means, get one, but I agree that they are not reliable hunters. That bouncing eyeball is seared into my memory forever.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

^^^
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

^^ Why do I always read this stuff while I'm eating???

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    I once had a cat who was a dedicated mouser. It was like his one true calling, even though he was well fed. BUT ...

Surely I'm not the only person who has noticed that cats don't necessarily go for a clean kill? The cat in question liked to play with rats and mice. He would bat them around like toys. One day he brought one toward me in his mouth, and the mouse's eyeball fell out of its socket and came bouncing along the carport toward me.

I had many other cats, growing up, and they would try to run in our house with mice and rats, or just parts of them.
    One time, one brought in a lizard with the tail removed, and then we couldn't find it. Eventually we discovered it glued by its own bodily fluids to a closet floor.

If you like cats, by all means, get one, but I agree that they are not reliable hunters. That bouncing eyeball is seared into my memory forever.
    I was told that when they did this..they were bringing you a gift for your approval. I use to feed an ex's neighbor cat, and one morning on my way to work...she left me a rat on his porch. I think that's when he stared staying to my house a lot!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

That's why I keep my cats inside.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Hi! I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    I don't like the glue traps b/c people will just throw them away live, and you don't know if they starve to death, get mangled in the trash, tear pieces of themselves off trying to get away...
    Why on earth would someone do that?! I don't think that's what you're supposed to do... if that isn't illegal anyway then it is most certainly immoral.

That is excessively and unnecessarily cruel, not to mention sick. Gosh, if you want to kill them, to it quickly, don't let 'em suffer like that. That's why I prefer snap traps... TBH, I think glue traps are a horrible invention and should be banned. Terrible things.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Why on earth would you want to kill rodents humanely? They started the Black Plague you know. Gas the fuckers.
    Maybe it's because people have a general respect for life and... uhh, aren't cruel jerks about it?

Why would you want to kill the rodents inhumanely? I can't believe I'm even asking this, it should be obvious.

BTW, the plague wasn't "started" by them.

One more thing about the glue traps, doing a bit of research.

[quote]In testing, of 40 mice placed on two brands of glueboard, 35 survived for 24 hours attached to the board. At various stages during this period, most animals:

...struggled vigorously when initially placed on the glueboard. In an apparent attempt to free themselves, animals stretched, twisted, and pulled on body parts caught in the glue; some mice bit and chewed on strands of adhesive or on their hair embedded in the adhesive. This action often resulted in additional body parts becoming embedded in the glue…(and)…as a result of struggling, patches of hair were sometimes pulled out of the body or limbs, exposing bare, raw patches of skin; legs were sometimes broken by vigorous struggling.

Normal eye condition lasted for about 1 h in most animals. Pathological conditions developed…(and)…sometimes progressed…so that the eye and eyelids became covered with a thick, gelatinous exudate which, in its severest state, was milky white and could not be removed by blinking the eye.

These reported reactions indicate a significant amount of distress and pain over a prolonged period. As further indication of distress, the study reports that:

Within 3-5 h after capture, most of the animals showed heavy defecation and urination…(and)…by 24 h, the wastes were often smeared over much of a mouse’s body.

At least a snap trap gets the job done fast. Glue traps are torture devices, and I will never, ever use one... and also recommend other people not to use them. Morality aside, they make quite a big mess, and are actually a worse health hazard than other traps.

It's just unnecessary cruelty, and it doesn't sit well with me at all. I think when one needs to remove an animal, they ought to have the decency about it not to inflict more pain than necessary. Just my 2c.
    Last edited by MaryJane; March 11th, 2009 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    ^^ Why do I always read this stuff while I'm eating???

Omg me too.....and I'm eating PEAS no less! I kid you not!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I went and bought a humane trap (I looked a long while at the poison and traps and things and decided I couldn't go through with disposing of the body) and actaully trapped a little mouse in it!

The cat was so annoyed, she couldn't get at it in the box

I went and released it on the moors about a mile away from our house, it bounced off across the road into a hedge. I felt quite good for doing this and not killing it, I have to admit. It was a cute lil thing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information