Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you react to people extremely fearful of your pets?

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Don't presume to tell me what I think, because you're wrong & you sound ignorant.

I will redirect YOU to my comment that anybody who reacts that way to a pug is an idiot. And I don't give a shit if you're afraid of cats. If you shriek & tremble & freak out when you see a pug ON A LEASH for that matter, I'll call you an idiot to your face.
    LOL - Whatever...
    Ignorant huh? Pot meet kettle. I have nothing to say about the 'wrong' part other than opinions are like assholes....

I brought up the cat part because cats are relatively harmless, but it is POSSIBLE to be afraid of them as well as any type of animal even if you think the animal is cute. But apparently since don't give a shit I'm surprised that you'd care enough to comment on it.

The black and the gray dog is so cute, You guys are so lucky!!

Some people are just really afraid of dogs, I'm sure they don't mean to be rude.

Your pug is ADORABLE!!!!

I can be quite nervous around big dogs. Don't ask me why - I grew up with German Shepherds myself. However, once I've met and been introduced to a big dog I am usually fine with it. I am very nervous when they go rushing up at me out of the blue, but that's probably natural. I have a mental block with Rotties and Dobermans - I just break out in a cold sweat when I am near one.

But, back to your pug, he looks like a perfect angel. Sooooo cute! I'd like a dog like a pug or maybe a long-haired chihuahua.

I have 10 cats and my sister-in-law (who's Malaysian) is freaked out by them and won't eat in our house. She was in tears explaining it to me once (in case I took offence - which I didn't) but in her culture animals aren't kept as pets and never in the home. It just freaked her out. From working with some Indians in London, I know that they don't have housepets either.

And then there are people who just have flat-out phobias. I worked with a girl whose boyfriend would CRY if there was a cat in a home he went into.

Quote Originally Posted by IceQueen View Post
    LOL - Whatever...
    Ignorant huh? Pot meet kettle. I have nothing to say about the 'wrong' part other than opinions are like assholes....

I brought up the cat part because cats are relatively harmless, but it is POSSIBLE to be afraid of them as well as any type of animal even if you think the animal is cute. But apparently since don't give a shit I'm surprised that you'd care enough to comment on it.
    I have no desire to discuss your asshole. I said you were wrong about what I think. And you are. I don't think all people should like dogs, and I SAID so. Let me redirect you to that. And show me where I said that people shouldn't be afraid of a pug because I think it's cute? What? You can't? Figures.

Cats are NOT relatively harmless. Cats can shred you in a heartbeat, and a cat bite can often be worse than a dog bite. I guarantee you that it's worse than a pug bite if both animals are adults.

I commented because of your condescending chiding response to my first post, "redirecting" me to something you wrote when I obviously didn't care the first time. You've obviously got some issues with being afraid of animals, and you go around looking for opportunities to tell people that they shouldn't judge those poor souls who are afraid of pugs or cats because we don't know the history behind it. Whatever. I STILL think that anybody who shrieks and trembles and freaks out at the sight of a pug is an IDIOT, regardless of your issues.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I'm the biggest cat lover there is, but even I admit that SOME cats can be dangerous. There was a cat in my old apartment building that everyone hated. With no warning, the cat would freak out and clamp his teeth to your leg. He was crazy. The guy who owned him seemed decent, but maybe this cat had been abused by a previous owner or just had some marbles loose.

I can understand someone being afraid of a German Shepherd or a Pitt Bull, but don't quite understand being afraid of a cuddly, cute, animal, like Elmo. Elmo sounds pretty gentle, too, so I doubt the little guy was snarling and snapping at those two maids.

Someone else mentioned that Moomies should hold Elmo in her arms, in case one of these ladies kicks him, which sounds reasonable to me.

That's why I'm a little reluctant to pet cats I don't know. I was petting a strange cat once & it purred & acted happy & then it turned & tried to bite me. Cats are funny, they have little behavioral quirks & some just don't want to be petted in certain ways or in certain places. One of mine likes its tummy rubbed & the other will kindly remove one of your fingers if you try to pet its tummy. The one that likes tummy rubs, however, will scratch if you pick him up.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Cats do that because they get over-stimulated, Lo. It's particularly common with Siamese cats, but all feline breeds are suspectible to it. They should just move away, but it's an instinctive them for them to bite.

Many pet owners irritate me--- 1st of all I dont think any pet should ever be allowed to touch or come too close to someone without permission. Most pet owners I know think their little Precious is just so lovable that if he jumps on u or sniffs at u or rubs up against u its just soo cute. BS! I think its rude rude rude. Just bc u love ur animal doesnt mean I do and I dont want it near me, on me, licking me, touching me etc. Ive had clothes damaged bc of some dog just being so lovable his paws made marks on my pants. I HATE slobber, it makes my hand smell its gross. I dont want fur on me or near me.

I think pet owners have a responsibility to keep their pets under control and away from others without an invitation

If I am having a friend over who does not like cats I put the cat in the other room and make sure he stays out of whatever room we are in. My cat is pretty picky who he goes to so luckily i dont have to worry about him rubbing up against anyone. Different breeds vary with behavior. I have a Himilayan who is the most mellow, lazy cat uve ever seen. I had him neutered at the early end of the allowable age window, and that may have to do with why hes so laid back. Hes also an indoor cat although I sometimes take him in the yard w a leash (which btw he LOVES) so he can sniff around. He just likes to be pet and likes to nuzzle--he does not know how to hiss, he is declawed, and sleeps most of the day and cleans himself. No craziness

I would pick Elmo up just because I'd be afraid if he wandered too close, the ladies might kick at him or scare him in some way. Someone i work with is a total freak out around dogs, but she can't recall any terrible experience that makes her react like that. I'm such a dog person, so I absolutely don't understand that kind of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Femmefatale View Post
    Many pet owners irritate me--- 1st of all I dont think any pet should ever be allowed to touch or come too close to someone without permission. Most pet owners I know think their little Precious is just so lovable that if he jumps on u or sniffs at u or rubs up against u its just soo cute. BS! I think its rude rude rude. Just bc u love ur animal doesnt mean I do and I dont want it near me, on me, licking me, touching me etc. Ive had clothes damaged bc of some dog just being so lovable his paws made marks on my pants. I HATE slobber, it makes my hand smell its gross. I dont want fur on me or near me.

I think pet owners have a responsibility to keep their pets under control and away from others without an invitation

If I am having a friend over who does not like cats I put the cat in the other room and make sure he stays out of whatever room we are in. My cat is pretty picky who he goes to so luckily i dont have to worry about him rubbing up against anyone. Different breeds vary with behavior. I have a Himilayan who is the most mellow, lazy cat uve ever seen. I had him neutered at the early end of the allowable age window, and that may have to do with why hes so laid back. Hes also an indoor cat although I sometimes take him in the yard w a leash (which btw he LOVES) so he can sniff around. He just likes to be pet and likes to nuzzle--he does not know how to hiss, he is declawed, and sleeps most of the day and cleans himself. No craziness

I know what you mean about out-of-control dogs. I was at a friend's house once and her son's Pitt Bull pup jumped on my pants with his muddy paws. The guy cleaned me up with a damp towel, but I was none too thrilled. I don't think it's cute when dogs sniff my crotch, either.

I have cats, but they stay indoors. They are usually pretty laid-back, and sometimes make themselves scarce when company arrives. They are not wild about repairmen and generally go into hiding when someone comes over to fix something.

i would never let my dog just jump on someone (my friends that know her are different, she does whatever with them) you dont know how that person feels about animals. I personally will never understand someone not liking animals..ive grown up around them, i would be totally lost without animals. But thats their choice, and its fine with me...more critters for me!!

StayYoung- i am the exact same way with animals...way too trusting, i will go up to anything and not think twice...and what you said about the lab, my 9mth old lab is deathly scared of everyone and other dogs.

I cant figure out why. The vet gave me a good explanation once. We have 3 other labs at home, and they are like her security blanket. She feels safe with them. So when shes by herself, her security is me. If someone comes up to her or another dog tries to check her out...she crawls between my legs, with her tail between her legs, and just sits there and shakes.I just cant figure it out..and kids..forget it...she pees on the floor if a little kid comes around. Shes been around people since she was a puppy, and other dogs. I think she is just a shy dog and will always be that way. A lab of all dogs!!!!

If anyone has any ideas of how to break her of this..i would be glad to hear them!!
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

We have a 5 pound Maltese that is fully grown. He has a lot of bark to him, which I admit, so when it seems he is bothering someone or I don't want to bother with it, I pick him up until the person is past, put him down and keep walking...

We just go to other people's houses...solves our problem. I don't lock my dog or my cats up for anyone.

If you sit on a chair in my house, even though we have a weekly cleaning service, you are guaranteed to get hair on you. My dog, though not a jumper, will probably come near you or smell you and she will quite possibly touch you. Therefore, I chose to mostly have people over that either have big dogs or we meet at restaurants or their home. Much easier on me. Outside, my dog is always on a leash...ALWAYS, unless we are in a desigated area for dogs to be offleash such as the dog park or dog beach.

Quote Originally Posted by silver024 View Post
    i would never let my dog just jump on someone (my friends that know her are different, she does whatever with them) you dont know how that person feels about animals. I personally will never understand someone not liking animals..ive grown up around them, i would be totally lost without animals. But thats their choice, and its fine with me...more critters for me!!

StayYoung- i am the exact same way with animals...way too trusting, i will go up to anything and not think twice...and what you said about the lab, my 9mth old lab is deathly scared of everyone and other dogs.

I cant figure out why. The vet gave me a good explanation once. We have 3 other labs at home, and they are like her security blanket. She feels safe with them. So when shes by herself, her security is me. If someone comes up to her or another dog tries to check her out...she crawls between my legs, with her tail between her legs, and just sits there and shakes.I just cant figure it out..and kids..forget it...she pees on the floor if a little kid comes around. Shes been around people since she was a puppy, and other dogs. I think she is just a shy dog and will always be that way. A lab of all dogs!!!!

If anyone has any ideas of how to break her of this..i would be glad to hear them!!
    Silver, my dog did that when she was still a puppy and eventually outgrew it.
    Maybe it will take a little longer for your dog as labrador retrievers are know to take four years to mentally mature.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Most people I know personally are so friendly towards dogs and Elmo that it just shocks me there are others who would have a dramatic freak-out over my little Elmo. He's polite and he doesn't jump on people.

Just today when I took Elmo out for a walk, some old ladies on the street stopped to pet him. I'm more used to this kind of people. Elmo makes friends very easily. When I used to live near Sheraton, the valet dudes there would always give him treats and scratches. And the corner store I go to almost everyday, the owners love Elmo, they let him in their store and also give him a doggie biscuit. I live in sort of a yuppie area where many many people have dogs and there are many dog parks all around, it's not often that you'd come across people extremely scared of dogs. But I guess it's just my luck, two cleaning ladies (the building hires them) in my building I have to sometimes share the elevator with.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information