Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you react to people extremely fearful of your pets?

Put Elmo on a short leash or pick him up as already suggested.
    Some people just don't like animals.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

Maybe these ladies have had bad experiences with dogs, and they're traumatized, but they are so silly to be afraid of cute little Elmo.

Elite Member

i agree w/ the leash or picking him up..btw i love the pics of the two elmos

My dog is very large...she's close to 100lbs. We live in a very dog friendly area, so we're lucky and most people at least like dogs. We have someone come and clean our house every other week and we tell them all of the time "Please send someone that is not afraid of dogs". Everytime, they send someone that climbs the bookcase when they arrive. Finally, we found a guy that loves our dog.

I'm very stubborn, my dog is well behaved and doesn't jump, bite, slobber or anything. I won't lock her up if people come over that don;t like her. She'll lay on her bed, but I won't put her out. A friends girlfriend asked if I would put her outside and I said no. I just won't. She's a good girl.

BTW - There are some cute Pugs on this thread!! 2 Elmos and a Zorro

I agree with picking him up if you can or at least putting yourself between the dog and the people. I wouldn't trust someone like that not to hurt an animal in some sort of irrational panic.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

At the risk of sounding crazy, my Chow Chow seems to know
    when people arenít fond of animals and stays away from them.
    I think she must pick up on their body language.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

My dogs are outside dogs they don't like being indoors but if we are sitting on the porch they have to be touching you in some way and a lot of people don't like that i've found some ppl don't like dogs i'm shocked by this but i will always try and make my dogs stay by me in this case more to keep them from getting their feelings hurt.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

You have no idea what kind of past these women may have with dogs. I used to be deathly afraid of dogs (and cats -but that's another story) no matter the size and wouldn't come within 10 yards of one.

What helped me was having someone who was very patient and would keep their dog on a very short leash around me. When I got used to the dog and knew that it wasn't going to try to bite my calf off or severely mangle my face (which is exactly what I witnessed as kid), then I wasn't as terrified of it. This took a long time though.

There are still times that I will not get close to certain breeds of dogs, and walking down the street, I don't assume any dog is nice and give it a lot of distance.

Shedevilang - some people don't like dogs just like some people don't like kids. It's really not that surprising. What seems harmless or cute to you doesn't to someone else.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

If anyone is wondering, Elmo is always kept on a leash when I take him outside of our apartment. It's one of those extender leashes (like a fishing line/rod thingy) and it's usually locked, so Elmo is basically on a short leash.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus!

You better keep him on a leash because he is so damn cute that someone is going to come up and kidnap him from you!

I used to be afraid of dogs, until i had them as pets. Now I'm too trusting with dogs, I'll go right up and pat a dog in the park, and it doesn't even cross my mind that the dog might react violently. Infact just last week i touched a labrador in the park and you'd think a labrador of all dogs would be friendly, but this one snapped. So you never know.

My dog wouldn't hurt a flea but he's got a mean little face, and people always ask if he's going to bite and if he's vicious. Most people judge by the look/breed of the dog.

My problem with people and my dog is when they come to my house and cant believe I have him inside with me. My dog is a house dog, he hates being outside, and when people come around they're like 'put the dog out, dogs belong outside' and it just frustrates me.

I'm sorry, but I think anybody who visibly freaks out over a pug is an idiot. I can understand not liking dogs & all, but to react like moomies described is ridiculous. Just this morning I got attacked by a damn malamute. It was snarling at me, a big malamute! but I just stood there & didn't shriek & tremble & pee my pants. I didn't even scream when it jumped me but that would be forgivable if I did

Definitely pick Elmo up, one of those weirdo ladies might kick him or something. Jeezy Creezy, not one idiot but TWO.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I'm sorry, but I think anybody who visibly freaks out over a pug is an idiot. I can understand not liking dogs & all, but to react like moomies described is ridiculous. Just this morning I got attacked by a damn malamute. It was snarling at me, a big malamute! but I just stood there & didn't shriek & tremble & pee my pants. I didn't even scream when it jumped me but that would be forgivable if I did

Definitely pick Elmo up, one of those weirdo ladies might kick him or something. Jeezy Creezy, not one idiot but TWO.
    And again I'll redirect you to what I said earlier - you have no idea what the woman's past is with any type of animal. I said it before that I used to be afraid of cats too, and whether you think that is dumb or not is not the point. Your line of reasoning is like those who just expect people to like their babies and children, just cause you think they are cute doesn't mean that others do.

Don't presume to tell me what I think, because you're wrong & you sound ignorant.

I will redirect YOU to my comment that anybody who reacts that way to a pug is an idiot. And I don't give a shit if you're afraid of cats. If you shriek & tremble & freak out when you see a pug ON A LEASH for that matter, I'll call you an idiot to your face.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Twitchy made a good point. Someone could freak out and hurt the little guy. If he's being held, this is less likely. How anyone could not love those faces is beyond me, but people are people.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information