Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: How attached are you to your animals?

My sweet rat is 2 and a bit years old now so she is edging towards the average ratty lifespan. I know that i am going to be devasted when she leaves me. Lately she has a really lively moment where she wants to play fight, run around, pull your hair and run off when you turn around then she will get tired so she climbs on my lap and falls asleep. I really wish rats had longer lives.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Oh, Sleuth, I had a rat for a while, and really loved her. She was very gentle and loving with me, but when my BF came to spend the night, (this was a long time ago), she would get under the covers and bite the crap out of his toes! He didn't last very long...LOL She was incredibly smart and attentive, and sweet.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

its not attachment; its called love, and I really do love my pets. They have my heart and if a meteor hit L.A. I would most definetely run home and gather my cats up and save them with me as best as I could!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    its not attachment; its called love, and I really do love my pets. They have my heart and if a meteor hit L.A. I would most definetely run home and gather my cats up and save them with me as best as I could!
    agreed, i feel the same alice

i had to save hemi's life yesterday..for a 2nd time now since ive had her.

So i was doing some yard work for my dad, and i hear a splash...and it wasnt the pond splash (we have two of those pre-made ponds in the backyard, filled with water just for the labs to get wet in, they LOVE it)so i knew one of them went into the pool, I dropped the shovel ran out back to the pool, i see three dogs, no Hemi...the cover of the pool is in the water and all i see is bubbles coming up from the water. So i drop to my knees on the side of the pool, and im debating whether or not to jump in, the cover is black, theres leaves in there, probably a few dead animals...so the water is black, i cant see a thing. All of a sudden Hemi's head pops up and she looks at me like shes terrified..i reached out grabbed the back of her neck and just pulled as hard as i could to get her over to the side, once i got her over i lifted her straight up out of the pool, my adrenaline must have been pumping because i can not lift her any other time..shes too damn big now. She scared the shit out of me, she was under the cover, how she swam out, i have no idea...but all i could think is if i jump in there after her then i might drown too because i cant see anything. When i first got her she fell in the pool, didnt know how to swim yet...thankfully i saw her..poor thing was struggling to keep her head above the water. I had a nice long talk with her then, and told her she needs to stay away from the pool until its uncovered.
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by silver024 View Post
    i had to save hemi's life yesterday..for a 2nd time now since ive had her.

So i was doing some yard work for my dad, and i hear a splash...and it wasnt the pond splash (we have two of those pre-made ponds in the backyard, filled with water just for the labs to get wet in, they LOVE it)so i knew one of them went into the pool, I dropped the shovel ran out back to the pool, i see three dogs, no Hemi...the cover of the pool is in the water and all i see is bubbles coming up from the water. So i drop to my knees on the side of the pool, and im debating whether or not to jump in, the cover is black, theres leaves in there, probably a few dead animals...so the water is black, i cant see a thing. All of a sudden Hemi's head pops up and she looks at me like shes terrified..i reached out grabbed the back of her neck and just pulled as hard as i could to get her over to the side, once i got her over i lifted her straight up out of the pool, my adrenaline must have been pumping because i can not lift her any other time..shes too damn big now. She scared the shit out of me, she was under the cover, how she swam out, i have no idea...but all i could think is if i jump in there after her then i might drown too because i cant see anything. When i first got her she fell in the pool, didnt know how to swim yet...thankfully i saw her..poor thing was struggling to keep her head above the water. I had a nice long talk with her then, and told her she needs to stay away from the pool until its uncovered.
    Our pool guy warned us about covers-he said the only time he had seen dogs drown is when a pool cover was in use because apparently they think they can walk on it. We junked ours & no fall-ins yet. I am sure your heart went right in with her!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

we've always been cautious with the dogs around the pool when the cover is on, when she was smaller she ran straight across it....too fast to even try to stop her. I really have no idea what happened yesterday...if she fell in or if she jumped in after a ball, or maybe Jasper pushed her...who knows. As soon as i heard that splash i dropped everything and ran, i just knew it couldnt be good. So now half the cover is in the pool, half the pool is open...so im sure they will all try getting in there now, we can't keep them out of the pool when its open! They do know they arent allowed near it when the cover is on...and until yesterday she/they listened very well...i really think the ball went in and she just reacted like she normally would by going after it. Im just glad shes okay..she did almost give me a heart attack

awwwww so glad you were there then!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm so attached to my pet - cat Toby - that I ran him to the vet on a dime yesterday when I realized he has a UTI. The vet yelled at me for taking him off his special diet for mature cats.

It's called Hill's C/D and it prevents urinary tract infections. He was on it for 2 years and then I took him off it. It took just under a year for the UTI came back. Bad, bad mommy. He can't have any other food but the C/D dry food. But he really likes it.

The 20 lb. bag costs $45, and I use 2 per year. Not bad.
    Last edited by Mira; April 19th, 2007 at 01:00 PM.

^ WOW; yeah

Hit By Ban Bus!

Here's the link for the Feline C/D Hill's Prescription Diet:

Feline c/d™

I was interested to note that epinions.com has a 4 rating on it. I would give it a 5 based on its ability to prevent UTI in my older cat.

Hill's Science Diet Prescription Diet Feline c/d Dry at Epinions.com (I believe you have to be registered with epinions to view it) I also saw that the rater paid $47, I paid $45. A year ago it was only $40.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I had a cat that got UTI and had to eat the Hill's prescription diet too. In fact, when I got my current kitties I started them out on regular Hill's science diet. My vet recommended it and I have to say they haven't had any health problems.

As to the topic question, I am love my kitties to BITS!! I let my ex have our cats when we divorced just to get away from him and it was the hardest thing about the divorce! The minute I got a house that would allow pets, I got my sweeties (they were about three months old and were so little and sweet!) and they have brought me so much joy. It is that unconditional love (well, as long as there is food in the bowl! lol). We are going to England for two weeks and a friend of my fiance is going to come over and put food out and see to the litter box. This is the only thing that really bothers me about traveling. I know they get depressed......Aaaackkkkkk! Boarding them wouldn't work. They like to be in their own house. Poor pookies.

Dove, can't he stay there a while & watch TV & snuggle with them?
    You know how they love their pats! Or find a grandmother sort that will house/cat sit?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

my girl is turning a year old thursday...i am making her doggie cupcakes!!

just thought id share:

In a large bowl, blend 3 cups of water, two shredded carrots, one egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of honey. Mix in two mashed bananas. In a seperate bowl, combine 4 cups of whole-wheat flour, 1 teaspoon each of baking powder,nutmeg and cinnamon. Combine the flour and carrot mixtures and blend well. Spray a cupcake pan with nonstick spray. Fill each cup three-quarters full and bake at 350 F for about an hour. Cool before serving. Makes 24 cupcakes, so your pet can invite his friends!

I cant wait to see if she likes them

^^Yum! Those sound delicious

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information