Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How attached are you to your animals?

I had my dog with me when I met this lady at the airport, she was a true animal lover. She held my dog and cuddled her and totally opened up to me, turns out she has inoperable cancer and had to let her pets go because she didn't want to die and leave them behind. She was in agony, not about herself but about her pets. She loved them so much.

Animals are the only thing that create an instant connection like that. Without my dog that lady would've never told me so much. It helps that my dog is really effin' cute too.

I actually wrote/illustrated a picturebook loosely based on my dog and sold it to Random House. I bought her a yummy bone with the advance.

^ That first story is really moving...

The second is really cool x

There are some really great stories here......its nice to hear that so many people love their animals so much.

My cat is sitting on my shoulders as I type this.....funny damn cat.

Glad to see more people like me... LOVED my dog more than most of the people in my life, honestly, with the exclusion of my kids, my hubby, and my dad. He was my very best friend. Have been bawling off and on for 2 days now. I feel that I let him down and did not do everything I should have fast enough. So Here is to all those wonderful pets we love sooooo much.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

I got this in an email the other day...i thought id share

*ill warn you all now...you might need a tissue

A Dog's Purpose - from a 4 year old

Being a veterinarian, I was called to examine a ten year old Irish
    wolfhound named Belker.The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's
    family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any
    difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next
    stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good
    life --like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The
    four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

---

yesterday morning we found a young german shepherd in our front yard, poor thing got hit by a car in the middle of the night. My dad didnt know what to do with him so he left him lay there hoping if someone was looking for him, they would at least know what happened to their dog. I know it might sound harsh but, if my dog ran away id at least want to know what happened to her. So my dad called the police in the morning to ask them what to do, and they told him someone actually reported it at 1am. They told him they would call Penn Dot (they "take care" of the highways and roads around here) and Penn Dot would pick the dog up. So meanwhile about 15 people stopped at our house and banged on our door to tell us there was a dog in the yard. A woman stopped that actually does Lab Rescues (if you read my posts before, you know we have 4 labs) so of course my dad started talking to her, she called some of her contacts at vets offices and found someone who would cremate the dog. So the woman asked my dad to help her get the dog in her car and she would take him and pay for him to be cremated. I was in tears most of the day, just thinking about where he came from, and if he would have just made it a few more feet he would have been on our porch.

okay now that ive made you all cry i will apologize for the long post!! but i needed to share with some fellow animal lovers
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I have a chubby boston terrier named Dick ( My boyfriend named him ). Our birthdays are quite close. He snorts and looks like a miniature pot bellied pig. I always dress him up in his footsie pj's, parkas and in summer he wears his own life jacket. I would be devastated if I lost him as I have been when i've lost any of my babies throughout my life. We've always had pets, taken in strays and what not and every time I had to part with any I was really emotional. Animals are my heart. Anyway, for those of you who don't know what a boston terrier looks like. It's something like this:

( Below ) Full grown, sizes vary but they always stay between small-medium.

Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

There are some sweet stories here. I had to skip and skim some of them to avoid crying.

I have a mutt puppy. He's brown/white/black with the body and front feet of a dachshund, the face and back feet of a chihuahua. He'll be one year on Valentine's Day and I just had him fixed between Christmas and New Years.

He's the first dog I've had that has been only mine since 1990. My beautiful, sweet, kind cocker spaniel was mauled and killed by a chow and it was so heartbreaking, I swore I'd never have another dog. Finally, last spring I decided I'd give a dog a chance and rescued my baby. I hope I have him for a long time before I ever have to think about losing him, because I am very attached to him.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

That's horrible about your cocker spaniel. I thought chows were sweet dogs..
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

My cat Mitsuko will be turning 16 this March. She's in good health and still as playful as when she was a kitten. I adore that cat. We've grown up together in many ways. My mother who is gone now used to call her her daughter so I call her my sister and my dad is her dad too. Only my brother yells "Get that thing off my bed" when he's at home but I know he secretly adores her too.

My mother died nearly 3 years ago. She came home from the hospital for about 4 days and the cat didn't leave her side for the entire time, I sometimes think she misses my mother too as we were both orphaned.

Friends and relatives I haven't seen for a while usually say, "Is that Mitsuko? Wow, you still have her?" I hope she will be around and healthy for a long time, I don't know how I would handle losing her.

Juicy- your lil guy is soo adorable!! my boyfriend wanted to name our cats pussy and cat..so dont feel bad about the name Dick...i guess its a man thing!!

laurent-the best dog we ever had was a mutt...so sad about your cocker spaniel..i never heard of a chow attacking either..did anything ever happen to the chow? or the owners of it??

lala- i think that would be my dream..animals are so much nicer than people...i would love to move to a farm, or to our mountain house and open a shelter...i would take every animal in that i possibly could...now if i could just win the lottery, so i could actually do it!

My cocker spaniel wandered into the neighbor's yard and the chow attacked and mauled her. Without getting graphic, it was awful. We found her and I tried to comfort her, but she was in shock. We took her to the vet and she died at some point. My parents were trying to cushion the blow, so I'm not sure how long she lived before she passed. Maybe it was shortly after she got there. Finally, I asked my mother riding home from school a few days later and she broke the news.

I don't know about chow temperments in general, but I guess this one was either very aggressive or very protective of property. It caused a big riff between my family and the neighbors for several years.

It's been 17 years and I'm still tearing up thinking about it sitting here at work.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

aww Laurent, thats so sad..similar thing happened to my cousin, her lab got out, ran away, i guess to a neighbors house, which this neighbor had threatened her before about the dog being in their yard. Well when the dog came back, he had been shot in the face. With a shotgun, but it was buck shot, so it was more like being shot with a bb gun, but still..whoever did it, shot him point blank in the face, he has bbs all in his face, and the vet couldnt take them out, im not exactly sure why, im guessing something to do with infection and how deep they were. So now she has to keep his face very clean, and the poor guy has to wear a cone around his neck. If one of those bbs would somehow move and get infected, the infection could go straight to his heart. So they called the police and the because they never reported the earlier threat the police really couldnt do much. I will never understand how anyone could hurt an animal, especially to look him in the face and then do it. I know exactly how you feel though, reading these stories my eyes always fill up with tears, im such a sucker for animals!!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Not much of a dog person but that might be because I'm extremely allergic to dog fur. Dog fur not cat fur. But I get a lot of stray cats here. Usually I get them fed, cleaned up, fattened up and take them to the vet before finding homes for them. Lately I've had a few just end up here as pets so now I have five cats. Only once did I turn away a stray. It was a cat that showed up at the back door with an arrow, yes, an metal tipped arrow, imbedded in it's face just under an eye. It was pretty obvious that this guy wasn't long for this world so I called animal control to pick him up. They did have to put him down because just as I suspected, the arrow had struck a few vital things and he wouldn't have lived.

Recently I lost one of my birds but for some reason it wasn't that sad. Usually I get really bummed out when one of my animals dies but not this time. It was my cockatiel Elvis. I'd had him for years and didn't know for sure how old he was because he was a fly away that I'd trapped for animal control since they knew I fooled with birds. I had him eleven years and he'd been a fully grown adult of at least 2 to 5 years old so he was pretty ancient in bird years when he passed. That night I'd played with him, fed him, petted him and put him back in his cage by the computer and when I looked over a few minutes later he was laying on the floor of the cage dead, still warm. When I picked him up he had the nicest expression on his face, almost like a smile. He looked so peaceful and happy that I couldn't mourn for him. The next day we buried him right next to the front steps because he always loved watching out the front window to see who was coming and going.

We've had birds in the past, a budgie ( spelling? ) and a finch. They were both really pretty, my mom loves birds and fish but honestly, birds freak me out.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Dick is gorgeous, he needs his own thread and more pics of him!

I love Dick!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information