Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Housebreaking suggestions?

Default Re: Housebreaking suggestions?

So how is the pup?

Hes doing fine. I took him to the vet yesterday. He got all his shots and tags. They wanted to keep him for a few days to make sure he didnt react to the shots negatively. They also recommended a sort of 'puppy Prozac' for him since he has really bad seperation anxiety. Has anyone heard of this??

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    Hes doing fine. I took him to the vet yesterday. He got all his shots and tags. They wanted to keep him for a few days to make sure he didnt react to the shots negatively. They also recommended a sort of 'puppy Prozac' for him since he has really bad seperation anxiety. Has anyone heard of this??
    Sorry, but that's bullshit. Sounds more like a nice little earner for the vet.

Separation anxiety can be a problem and you need to deal with it quickly as it's sometimes tricky to fix. I suggest you Google it and you'll find LOTS of information. In a puppy I'd say it was a training issue rather than one that needs medication (more $$$ for the vet).

How's the housetraining going?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Wow.. youre probably right about the vet trying to screw me out of money. Its too late now but now I know better. Anyhow, the housetraining is going okay. He still goes inside sometimes when we dont make it outside in time, but He's been pretty consistent with eliminating at certain times. Im just worried about how he'll react with me going away to school during the day and being alone for an extended period of time, but I'm going to google about seperation anxiety because he really does seem to have it very badly. The other day I left him alone with the maid and when I came home he was howling by the door and I scooped him up and he was shaking and gasping. I was frightened because I dont want him to go through hell for the next 10 months of school. Aside from the fact that it will make my vet a nice profit, is medication helpful if i decide to go that route?

A*O

Meds can work but as a last resort. Personally I think it's unfair to dope up your dog when the underlying problem isn't medical. He has to 'unlearn' the behaviour of acting up when you're not around. Google it for hints and tips or maybe ask a local dog trainer? You need to get this sorted quickly because it's a VERY difficult problem to cure in older dogs.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

ugh i hate vets like that... also, why did they have to keep him for a few days to see how he reacted to the shots? were you not available to watch him yourself? or does the puppy have a condition that they would need to act quickly if there were a reaction? 9 times out of 10 there isn't anyone at the vet to actualy "watch" them overnight, so the puppy is alone... sounds like they were trying to screw you on that as well.

if that's the case, find a new vet.

He came home this morning. He smells a lot different. Im going to bathe him in a bit to get that gross vet, sterilized smell off of him. He seems a lot more active.. hes running around the house and following everyone that walks by. I can hear his little tags jangling. I think being around other dogs for such a long period of time socialized him because hes not as clingy as he was a few days ago. He looks a LOT bigger too. I'll post pictures soon, but he seriously grew like an inch in length since I last saw him. But he seems a lot more controlled, less anxious and really outgoing. Ill see if he keeps this new attitude up. I missed my pup!!

We went to the park today.. pics of Snickers and family

and one of just us
    Last edited by Penny Lane; August 7th, 2006 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information