Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Housebreaking suggestions?

Default Re: Housebreaking suggestions?

I remember the first time my dog did his business inside, my dad whacked him. Never did it again. He didn't badly hurt him, but the dog learned his lesson. Sometimes he'd leave a little bundle near the door, because he couldn't get out. So everyone here has the responsbility of making sure the dog goes out. He scratches at the door when he needs to go; he lets us know. He hasn't relieved himself or done his business in the house for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiParis
    I remember the first time my dog did his business inside, my dad whacked him. Never did it again. He didn't badly hurt him, but the dog learned his lesson.
    please tell me this is not your piece of advice for housebreaking a puppy?!?
    how barbaric & cruel is that?!?!?

It only happened once. It was hardly a beating at all. Just like a mother would give her child a slap for being naughty, same deal with the dog. It was on the backside, not across the face. Its not barbaric.

Ive been to dog obedience school with my dogs before and they say slap when necessary and reward.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My Elmo also scratches at the door. I have a rope with a little bell attached hanging from the door knob and he sometimes goes and tingles the bell, too.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiParis
    It only happened once. It was hardly a beating at all. Just like a mother would give her child a slap for being naughty, same deal with the dog. It was on the backside, not across the face. Its not barbaric.

Ive been to dog obedience school with my dogs before and they say slap when necessary and reward.
    hitting an animal is wrong. hitting an animal for a bodily function is barbaric and cruel. all you are teaching him is to fear you, so instead of pissing on the living room rug, he'll go in somewhere hidden to pee. your dog not going in the house again has less to do with being hit & more to do with everyone in the house taking him out. after a while, they get the hint.

if your school is condoning hitting your dog, then it's not a very good one... but then again, if you think hitting your child is okay, that would make perfect sense.

I have Australian Shepards, one is crate-trained, the other hates the crate. The purpose of a crate is to give the dog a safe place. Potty training animals is hard work, but if you put the time into it, the rewards are awesome!

There has been some great suggestions here, and it seems like you are well on your way.

Regarding punishing dogs by hitting them. You have to remember that dogs are pack animals, and they understand chain of command. There must be an Alpha Leader, and it must be you! After you comes all the rest of your family. I know that sometimes dogs can and need to be dominated, I avoid hitting my dogs if at all possible, what I do is pin them to the ground and immobilize them completely, including the head. I hold them pinned until the quit struggling, when that happens, the dog has submitted to you. My big guy Charlie had to be pinned almost hourly for weeks until he got the message. Now all I have to do is raise my voice firmly, and he is devastated! My other dog Max could care less about me scolding him, I swear he has a thought pattern and makes the choice that a yelling is worth the reward of chasing the cat. I have chased Max off with the broom and smacked his butt with it, not hard, and only because he has a habit of chasing engines, the lawn mower, weed-whacker, chainsaw, etc. I only spanked my kids as a deterrent for dangerous behavior, and I think dogs get that too. BUT... there is a huge difference between a training smack and a angry smack. NEVER hit your dogs, or kids for that matter, in anger, all it tells the dog is that you have lost control...
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

deckchick... pinning a dog in the "Alpha Roll" can be quite dangerous. in the wild, a dog will only pin another when it is about to kill it. it's actually a very controversial training technique, and it shouldn't be used if a dog has peed in the house or something of that nature. it will only create a fearful dog.

as for training smacks & the heirarchy of dogs... alpha dogs don't dominate by biting/hitting or anything physical. it's all about body language... the tail & ears go down, growl is low & they look the other animal in the eye. that usually will do the trick. if a dog is persistant, the alpha will snap (without biting) so you can see that dogs don't immediately go for the throat... they give little warnings first.

there are many non-aggressive ways to establish dominance over a dog, this site has some good suggestions http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp5...ckleader.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Elphie
    deckchick... pinning a dog in the "Alpha Roll" can be quite dangerous. in the wild, a dog will only pin another when it is about to kill it. it's actually a very controversial training technique, and it shouldn't be used if a dog has peed in the house or something of that nature. it will only create a fearful dog.
    I have had dogs all my life, usually big ones. My 2 current dogs are rescued Australian Sheperds. Charlie, the one I "pin" on occasion was badly beaten by I assume a man in a hat. When Charlie meets new people he is very wary, and if it is a guy in a hat, he will get aggressive. Obviously I have control of both of them.

I am not suggesting a pin for potty training I was just responding to your previous post regarding discipline. I DO NOT condone hitting a dog as a training tool, but at times I have "shooed" Max away from the cats with a broom. Again, it would be a sweeping motion with minor contact with the dog.

as for training smacks & the heirarchy of dogs... alpha dogs don't dominate by biting/hitting or anything physical. it's all about body language... the tail & ears go down, growl is low & they look the other animal in the eye. that usually will do the trick. if a dog is persistant, the alpha will snap (without biting) so you can see that dogs don't immediately go for the throat... they give little warnings first.
    I hear what you are saying regarding a well trained dog. Again, my guys are rescued dogs with many serious issues. Charlie will give no warning when he thinks he needs to be aggressive, and at that point I only have 2 choices, allow my 80 lb dog to be aggressive or control him. And until he finally accepted the fact I was "Alpha" we had many weeks of me pinning him. My only other option would have been to hit him, and I absolutely do not condone hitting as a form of control.

Elphie, you and I are talking about a whole different level of training, right now all that needs to be done is what is happening now, lots of attention, and ensuring the puppy gets outside lots.

Someone else suggested dog training and I agree 100% the earlier the better! Not only will they learn commands, but almost as important, they will learn social skills. It's all good if you train your dog, but if you cannot trust him with other dogs because he's never played with them, that is another whole issue.

deckchick...

sorry, i just get bent out of shape when i hear ppl using training methods that require force. in most cases it is completely unnecessary (as in the potty training) i know that Australian Shepherds can be strong-willed & of course you need to be alpha to them.

deckchick...

sorry, i just get bent out of shape when i hear ppl using training methods that require force. in most cases it is completely unnecessary (as in the potty training) i know that Australian Shepherds can be strong-willed & of course you need to be alpha to them.
    No worries I too am a huge animal lover and hate hate hate people who get a dog and have no clue what they are getting into. They then lose interest, or become afraid of the dog. StyleJunkie seems to be on the right track tho.

People need to be more aware of where they get their pets from. Chances are good that if you got it from a pet store at your local mall, you have a puppy mill dog. Before everyone jumps on me... I know there are pet stores who buy from reputable breeders, but way too many don't. A lot of these dogs have physical as well as emotional issues, then they end up at the pound or the local animal rescue group.

I always encourage anyone to go and get their next dog at the pound, or join a rescue group for the breed you are interested in. There is so many unwanted dogs out there.

And get them fixed, they always need to be fixed!

^^^ yes! bravo!

although, i don't know of ANY reputable breeders that sell to petstores.

A*O

^^ Agree. If you want a pedigree or 'combined' breed then go direct to a reputable breeder. They usually advertise or you can ask the relevant breed club or kennel club. Another good way is to go to your local dog park and ask an owner of the type of dog you are intrested in where they got theirs from. It's also a good way to find out first hand what the pros and cons of each particular breed is. Either way, I can practically guarantee that none of them came from a petstore, although some may have been adopted or rescued. Local vets usually know who the local reputable breeders are too. If you just want a 'mutt' then there's plenty of those desperately waiting for a new, loving home at your local animal rescue centre.

As for punishment - the point with housetraining is that you reinforce the 'good' behaviour, ie, when the dog pees where it should rather than punish it when it goes where it shouldn't. Unless you actually catch the dog IN THE ACT and let him know you are displeased with a sharp, loud NO! there's no point punishing him when you find a turd in the corner several hours (days?!) later. If you go berko after the event he will have NO CLUE what you are going on about.

But you DO have to establish yourself as the Alpha Bitch of the 'pack' or you are letting yourself in for a world of aggro.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Well, here we are about a week and a half after getting him. Its been hard. We had an.. incident. I left him in a bathroom while I went to the store to buy my aunt baby formula and when I came back he had pooped... and proceeded to paw the poop all over the walls, tub, door, cabinets, etc. It was horrible, but we got past it. I've figured out that I have to leave him alone to do his business or else he wont do it so thats been working out. Hes been eating and eliminating consistently and he's almost sleeping the entire night without waking up and not settling down again. Hes also getting more brave and curious about the house and I feel a lot more confident letting him wander around without having to follow him to see if he does anything bad because he's getting the idea of how things work around here. Needless to say, I thought of returning him for about a millisecond after the bathroom incident, but if every other person in the world can deal with dog training then I dont see why I cant. I'm looking forward to a long life with Doodles.. thats a term of endearment for him bc 'Snickers' turned into 'Snickerdoodles' and then 'Doodles'.. yea, ok. Thanks for all the suggestions.

A*O

Keep it up stylejunkie! Nobody said it was easy but it WILL get better as you get to know each other. Puppies are like human babies - they have no bowel or bladder control (yet) so you'll have to watch him like a hawk but maybe you are now noticing there are certain times when he 'goes' like immediately after eating or after he wakes up from a nap? I think it's also a matter of having confidence in yourself that you can do it, and you can I promise. He sounds very cute - can you post a pic?

PS next time you have to keep him in locked away in a bathroom or something perhaps put some newspapers down to help with any mess and clearup? Also leave a couple of toys for him to pay with so he doesn't get bored. Have you discovered those Kong toys yet? They are hard rubber chewy things you can stuff with little treats, and the dog spends HOURS trying to get to the treat inside. It's good for his teeth too.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Way to Go Stylejunkie!

New puppies are tough work, but I promise that if you put the work in now, you will have an awesome pet for many years to come!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information