Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Housebreaking suggestions?

Default Re: Housebreaking suggestions?

Thankfully he didnt go during the night. I put his diggie bed on top of my bed because he wouldnt stay in it while it was on the floor. My mom came in and got him at 7 AM and fed him and took him outside and he did his business. So thats good. I caught him peeing after he woke up after I spent some time outside w him so I immediately picked him up and took him outside. I'm about to take him for a walk so I hope he understands he needs to eliminate outside and not on my sheets. thankds ill keep you guys updated.

You are going to have to start nearly from scratch. Buying a dog from a store which allows them to eliminate in their box is part of the problem. The poor dog has learned to go against his instincts and eliminate where he sleeps.

So... of course keep him in the crate when you are not home. BUT he is going to need to go out every 2 hours (he is very young) AROUND THE CLOCK! buying a dog is like having a baby, it is a huge responsibility, and that type of dog cannot be an outdoor dog!

So, I would say if you aren't sure you can successfully train him, find him a new home while he is still a cute puppy. Adult dogs are not as adoptable and can end up being put down at animal shelters.

So... if you ARE truly ready to take on the responsibility of a small dog (which if properly cared for can live up to 15 years). THEN...

1. Crate when not at home.
    2. Use a product which contains enzymes specifically designed to eliminate the odor of urine/stool. One like "Natures Miracle"
    3. Toilet the animal every 2 hours, and immediately after eating, and waking up.
    4. If you are going to use an "elimination trigger word" do NOT pick something like "outside" otherwise if someone says, "is it raining outside?" etc. the dog will immediately eliminate. Use a foreign word that is not used otherwise. BUT remember, if you leave the dog at the sitter, give it up for adoption or with a pet sitter you MUST inform them of the word, otherwise the dog can "Hold it" and get severely constipated. (seriously).
    5. When the dog is in the house with you, keep it on a leash at all times until it is totally potty trained. That way as soon as it even looks like it wants to eliminate you can take it outside. This also trains the dog to stay with you and follow from room to room.
    6. Praise positive results. Put change in a small coffee can, when he starts to potty in the house (which you will know because he is on the leash) say "NO!!!!" and shake the can. He will get the message.

But again, I encourage you that if you don't think that you are going to be successful, do NOT keep such a small dog outdoors, dogs are pack animals and you are the pack. That little dog needs you and needs to be inside!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil
    What on earth is a crate? It sounds awful, like a box to put the puppy in when you are tired of it. Can somebody explain as I'm sure it can't be that.
    Crate training is where the new puppy sleeps in a crate at night. Basically a big wire cage. You are supposed to make it like a home with his toys, food, blankets etc. If you have to go out for a few hours you can also leave him in there. He is supposed to think of it as his little home. However I never did it, we bought one but I tell you I couldn't put Jake in it. I tried the first night we got him and he cried so much I crumbled and brought him out to our room, where he's slept ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil
    What on earth is a crate? It sounds awful, like a box to put the puppy in when you are tired of it. Can somebody explain as I'm sure it can't be that.
    Its not this at all! They learn to love their crates (if introduced and trained properly) I use crates for the first year and a half, then I just remove the door to the crate because to remove it completely would be taking his/her own private area away from him/her. It is much more humane to use crate training than to ban a dog to outdoors only or get rid of entirely. Keep in mind crates are used for training not punishment.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I used to use the crate for Elmo to stay in when we went out and for him to sleep in at night but after he mellowed down with age, he was fine being left alone, he'd just sleep on the couch or wait for me by the door and never really did anything mischievous so we stopped using it.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by macabre
    Its not this at all! They learn to love their crates (if introduced and trained properly) I use crates for the first year and a half, then I just remove the door to the crate because to remove it completely would be taking his/her own private area away from him/her. It is much more humane to use crate training than to ban a dog to outdoors only or get rid of entirely. Keep in mind crates are used for training not punishment.
    my dogs all love their crates. they also travel in them (reduces stress and protects them from injury in case of an accident). it is a safe "den" for them. I recommend the vari-kennel type which can be draped with a sheet to provide a darker, calmer environment and reduces noise for the dog.

He went on a puppy pad! I was so happy I think I tramautized him with all my squeals and "Good boys" lol. The only problem is I put the puppy pad in his crate and put him in there and after two minutes (I kid you not) I went back and sure enough, he had done his deed. I dont know if I was wrong in doing that, but hey.. it worked.

A*O

In theory a dog will try to avoid soiling his own bed so put the puppy pad NEXT to the crate, not in it. Then once he regularly uses the pad (dogs can NEVER have too much praise) gradually move the pad towards the door the dog will use to get in/out of the house and he will go there when he needs to pee and you can open the door and let him out. You are going to need eyes in the back of your head for a while but you will quickly recognise his "I need a pee" behaviour. Good luck
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

yeah, you want to discourage the peeing in the crate thing at all costs. the enzyme cleaner will help remove any urine smell in the crate, & the puppy pads (i never used them, i found it was just an extra step) away from the crate should do it. like A/O said, you have to watch them CONSTANTLY. and keeping him on a leash indoors is a great way to catch unwanted behaviors, not just potty training.

one other thing to look for, is if your puppy is in the middle of something, and suddenly gets up & leaves, he is peeing. so keep an eye out for that.

2 great books that will help in the training process
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...365438?ie=UTF8
    this is a great into into dog psychology. i highly recommend this to any new dog owners.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/055...e=UTF8&s=books
    this is by the clicker training queen.

positive reinforcement is key in training an animal. you have to learn NOT to be emotional (even when they pee the bed) remember that this puppy doesn't know the rules, if a dog messes up, it's our fault, not theirs.

be consistant! dogs need structure & routine. if you keep him on a strict schedule, you will have little problem housebreaking him. it should take about a week or two. good luck!

Angry Re: Housebreaking suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex
    He went on a puppy pad! I was so happy I think I tramautized him with all my squeals and "Good boys" lol. The only problem is I put the puppy pad in his crate and put him in there and after two minutes (I kid you not) I went back and sure enough, he had done his deed. I dont know if I was wrong in doing that, but hey.. it worked.
    okay, I know you are trying, but you really need to use some common sense and read the posts in this thread! Putting a puppy toilet pad where the dog sleeps is teaching your dog to pee in the crate and by default your house.

Since you state in your first post that you have had other dogs and were unable to train them (remember NO dog is at fault for bad behavior this is an OWNER problem), I STRONGLY urge you to reconsider dog ownership! The type of dog you have is an indoor dog, and it is doing the dog a disservice if you are unable to properly train him. Do not wait until the dog is older, an un-housebroken adult dog has a HIGH probability of being unadoptable and thus will be put down if he ends up in a shelter.

PLEASE immediately go to the nearest vet, find a reputable dog training class/obedience class and SIGN UP FOR IT. Owning a living animal is a big responsibility and NOT to be taken lightly.

PLEASE go to your nearest bookstore, and buy a few books on dog ownership/training/care of animals and READ them!

I laid down another pad and he went on it.. this time outside of the crate. I went and bought him training treats and I've been giving them to him to reward his good behavior. He seems like he's getting the picture, but only time will tell. While I was at Petco buying his treats I signed up for a puppy class so hopefully that will be beneficial. I really am trying.. I even bought "Housetraining for Dummies". I hope this works out because this really is the first time Ive ever put so much effort into making a puppy an integral part of my life and I really love him.

A*O

Having a puppy can be just as much work as having a human baby - especially if you have a dog that has to 'unlearn' bad habits like soiling his own bed (or yours!). He WILL learn what's expected of him so long as you have shown him clearly and consistantly what that is, but be prepared for the occasional setback because it won't happen overnight. It really is 99% common sense once you get to understand how a dog thinks, behaves and reacts. And you mustn't be afraid to be tough when required. Most of the sooky, undisciplined dogs I come across have sooky undisciplined owners! YOU are the Top Bitch so assert yourself LOL.
    PS Don't overdo the treats. Give them ONLY as rewards when he does what he's supposed to do and not any other time.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I laid down another pad and he went on it.. this time outside of the crate. I went and bought him training treats and I've been giving them to him to reward his good behavior. He seems like he's getting the picture, but only time will tell. While I was at Petco buying his treats I signed up for a puppy class so hopefully that will be beneficial. I really am trying.. I even bought "Housetraining for Dummies". I hope this works out because this really is the first time Ive ever put so much effort into making a puppy an integral part of my life and I really love him.

Well, I think you're doing great! Continue moving the pad closer to the door. Only move the pad after he tee tees on it though. I have 2 babies myself. A mini weenie and a min pin. I love them!!!

SVZ

We used those puppy pads as well, if you want something cheaper you can get a newspaper, paper towel or even a piece of plastic - they sell spray bottles of the ammonia, etc that's on the premade puppy pads.

There's also this stuff called umm.....ugh odor-be-gone or something? it's an enzyme solution that really gets rid of the smell if they do have accidents.

He just turned 3 months old. Hes a dachshund, which I read are somewhat difficult to train because theyre pretty mischevious, but I dont know. I think he's accustomed to going wherever he wants to because the asses at Petland keep the dogs in kennels and the eliminate all over themselves 24/7. I'm just freaking out because I fed him at 8:30 and he STILL hasnt gone so I'm afraid to go to sleep because I dont want to wake up at 4 am to a fresh turd in the corner of my bedroom. I'd put him in the crate, but, again, I'm terrified he'll just use it as an excuse to soil himself in there again and I'll be stuck with a 4 am turd AND having to clean up his crate. Hes sleeping right now but I dont know what to do with him. Hes bound to wake up with the urge before dawn so I just dont know what to do.
    I have a mini dachshund! She is red and sooo sweet. She loves the belly rub. Just found out she is allergic to almost everything outside. Poor baby is having a tought time. I'm about to get a second opinion. Her shots are not working and it's been 2 months. She was a bitch to potty train. Now she scratches at the door when she needs to go outside. I love her!!! She's my baby. hehe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information