Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Help! My dog has been throwing up

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    people say ferrets stink, but my old roomates didn't... the ferret's name was Matthew Josť, btw.

He had a definite strong scent, but it wasn' unpleasant at all. It was a sweet/spicy musk. I actually liked it.
    no way, as a kid one of my friends had ferrets and all I can remember about them is that they smelled like raisin farts. maybe it was just their cage was dirty or something, but I found the smell really offensive. and I had guinea pigs for many years...so it's not just a rodent thing.

I hear they're cool but I guess I just haven't seen their appeal yet.
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

We used to have a ferret. We were letting him play outside one day(closely supervised), and he went into a hole in the yard, and came out with a snake.

Glad your doggie is getting better

I'm glad your dog is feeling better

My ex roomates had a ferret.. i liked it except the whole "ferrets shit in every corner of the apartment" thing. I mean, sure it's neat that they will only shit in the corner of 2 walls, but ALL of the corners? Just pick one!

They were more fun to play with than a cat... they LOVE playing. That little wardance they do is adorable.

The little fuckers also hoard things.. every day i had to go searching for my gel shoe insoles cuzs the bastard would dig them out of my boots and drag them to his little nest.
    My bf had a ferret named Scott when he was in highschool. Every night when he got home the ferret would open his schoolbag take out my bf's pencil case and went to hide it in his favorite spot
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I misread that as "They'll punch a hole in the bottom of your crotch and live inside it."

that's rough!

Petunia Pearl

one time, Petunia woke up vomiting, then acted fine, so I went off to work. Hubby called me and said she vomited again, I rushed home from work and watched her closely and she was just fine. I think she wanted Mama home!

Petunia Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    one time, Petunia woke up vomiting, then acted fine, so I went off to work. Hubby called me and said she vomited again, I rushed home from work and watched her closely and she was just fine. I think she wanted Mama home!
    Are you still going to see the vet?

crumpet - I used to have two ferrets too Your boy sounds a lot like one of mine that I had to give pepto bismol to for ulcers. He also was quite manipulative sometimes when it came to food. He was the smart one. My other ferret was a bit thick. I lost both to cancer. I wish people knew that American ferrets have a 50% chance of having a terminal illness and are expensive to keep. People buy them thinking they'll be easy to maintain and then end up getting rid of them. Personally, I think all the pain and effort is worth it. When it comes to their personality I think that they're like a two year old on crack

As for the shitting in every corner thing, like crumpet said, you have to realize they're small. They also have a very fast digestive system. They eat every three hours. When they have to go, they have to go. When I first got my ferrets I was very surprised at how much shit they have! Ferrets are also picky when it comes to litter boxes. If it's dirty, they won't use it.

Thought I'd throw out there some cheesy picture a friend once made. I've got a thing for Bob Ross.

be warned, sweetie: ferrets are basically racoons, just stretched out. They will get into EVERYTHING. Cupboards, vents, pipes, you name it, they'll explore it. They'll punch a hole in the bottom of your couch and live inside it, and pop out between the cushions if you're not careful. They're VERY curious animals.

They also need a heavy rotation of new toys, and you have to spend at least an hour a day chasing them around the house and playing hide and seek.
    Growing up we had a neighbor who was a total alcoholic and a parapalegic. His ferrett chewed a hole in his leg and he didn't feel it.

He died btw. Not from the ferrett chewing him up, but a cross between being a total asshole and cirrhosis of the liver.

He was the son of an aunt of cousin twice removed from my mom's best friend or something, so my mom made us go to his rosary with her. Being the good catholic girl that I was, I kneeled before his casket and then noticed I could see the damn thread the fucked up mortician used to sew his eyes shut.

WTF do I remember these things? Never mind, back to the actual topic. Spanky is totally fine now. I am not going to the vet unless this acts up again.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Peike View Post
    Are you still going to see the vet?

crumpet - I used to have two ferrets too Your boy sounds a lot like one of mine that I had to give pepto bismol to for ulcers. He also was quite manipulative sometimes when it came to food. Yeah, mine used to play dead to get attention. You could shake him and even throw water on him and he would just lie there, eyes half open, slack-jawed. I had to put Ferretvite on the end of his nose to bring him out of it. He couldn't resist it. He was the smart one. My other ferret was a bit thick. I lost both to cancer. I wish people knew that American ferrets have a 50% chance of having a terminal illness and are expensive to keep. My vet said that most American ferrets will get adrenal disease if they live long enough. European and Australian ferreys have longer life spans, some even 11-14 years or so I've heard. Marshalls is the main ferret breeder in America and you know what happens with mass breeding. People buy them thinking they'll be easy to maintain and then end up getting rid of them. Personally, I think all the pain and effort is worth it. Me,too. I have 4 cats and when they pass I'm going to adopt 2 ferrets from the rescuse in Richmond. I hold my breath and cross my fingers when I see families consider ferrets for their kids b/c these aren't hamsters that die in 2 years. They need a lot of care and they can have medical problems and they are actually too fragile for most kids to handle safely. I've actually talked some people out of it for the ferrets' sake.When it comes to their personality I think that they're like a two year old on crack

As for the shitting in every corner thing, like crumpet said, you have to realize they're small. Yes, you should always put them in their litterr pan when they first wake up before you take them out b/c they always have to go after they wake up.They also have a very fast digestive system. They eat every three hours. When they have to go, they have to go. When I first got my ferrets I was very surprised at how much shit they have! Ferrets are also picky when it comes to litter boxes. If it's dirty, they won't use it.

Thought I'd throw out there some cheesy picture a friend once made. I've got a thing for Bob Ross.
    See my responses in bold above, thanks.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    See my responses in bold above, thanks.
    Ha, the going to the bathroom after waking up reminded me of how they'd fake it. I would make them stay in the cage until they went. For some reason those fives minutes were just too long and they'd act it out a couple of times. Facial expression, tail raise - it was quite impressive. My guys were from Marshalls. The whole breeding year round with lights there, spaying/neutering/descenting so young ... not good. Hopefully I will be rescuing two kits this July/August in England. Many ferrets are not spayed or neutered there, so after mating season the rescues get quite a few litters. It's illegal to descent though I'm going to have to visit some ferrets first so see the difference. They claim that as long as they're fixed it's alright, but we'll see

I really wanted these two last year, but we weren't in the position to have ferrets yet.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post

I meant to ask if you have any dog treats with peanut butter in them? The FDA is just now getting around to recalling all the pet products affected by that salmonella, Here's a recent recall for different rawhide bones and hooves: Carolina Prime Pet Announces Nationwide Recall of Dog Treats

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information