Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Had A Boa Draped Around The Shoulders?

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    We weren't talking about birds, fish, hamsters or lots of other pets. Mr.Bunny isn't going to grow big enough to eat the neighbors cat or dog, if he gets lose or his family no longer wants him and dumps him he's not going to get big enough to eat somebodys tot either.
    My real freak is having snakes that are not indigenous to the locality because they will breed and thrive in a warm climate if they get lose.

Somebodys pet snakes are now in the Florida Everglades ruining the eco system. They expect the Burmese pythons to move kind of like the killer bees did.

I like snakes, I respect snakes, they belong in the wild eating rats and mice. AND if your a Burmese python you don't belong in Florida.
    Do you understand that not all snakes are Burmese Pythons or 20 foot boas? Most snakes are not big enough to eat family pets or anything larger than mice or small rats. They pose no danger whatsoever. It seems to me you are lumping all snakes in with the potentially dangerous breeds. It's like saying I shouldn't own a Siamese cat because exotic cats like pet Tigers could get loose and kill the neighbor's kids. They aren't the same, just like they aren't all poisonous.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Do you understand that not all snakes are Burmese Pythons or 20 foot boas? Most snakes are not big enough to eat family pets or anything larger than mice or small rats. They pose no danger whatsoever. It seems to me you are lumping all snakes in with the potentially dangerous breeds. It's like saying I shouldn't own a Siamese cat because exotic cats like pet Tigers could get loose and kill the neighbor's kids. They aren't the same, just like they aren't all poisonous.

crumpet come on - yes I do understand not all snakes are Burmese pythons and my neighbors do not have a tiger then again I'm against people keep exotics of any kind. Why keep a snake if not for vanity reasons? Can't you like them from afar? There is such big bucks in exotics that the trade is down right cruel and pathetic. BUT I'm sure everyone who owns a snake did the responsible thing and checked to make sure the reptile came from a local breeder.

We have a difference of opinion.

I remember in 1972 when we went to the Serpentarium in Florida. Snakes of all breeds, drawers and drawers, tanks and tanks filled with snakes - he was looking for cures in diseases like M.S. It was interesting but even in that controlled enviroment a cobra slid off the table and darn near got away and I wondered how many actually did escape through the years? I'm sure when Freddie's parents bought her a snake she didn't expect it to get away either but they do and thats how they become a danger to the enviroment and to themselves.

^^^^We both agree that poisonous snakes and dangerous sized boas and pythons which threaten humans, pets, and the ecosystem should not be kept as pets. Where we disagree is when it comes to having snakes or lizzards as pets in general. People do actually hold and play with their snakes and lizzards. What is being considered an exotic here? Domesticated ferrets? Birds? What is the purpose of having parakeets or a fish aquarium if not for vanity/looks? Just because you don't prefer reptiles as pets does not mean that those who do are harming them or being irresponsible. For the record, I do know that my snake came from a local breeder, as do most of the ball pythons around here. It isn't hard to find out and it makes sense because captive bred snakes are likely to be healthier and more docile. It is true that too many people don't research the pets they choose beforehand, but the same goes for people who don't research particular dog breeds prior to getting one. Responsible pet owners are responsible no matter what kind of pet they choose and the ones who aren't responsible will make poor choices no matter what kind of pet they get,too.

fgg

i think pippin is pissed that gapeach and crumpet ran off with her thread

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post

Well, at least we answered the question!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    it was crumpets fault...
    note Peach throwing crumpet under the bus

^^^^We both agree that poisonous snakes and dangerous sized boas and pythons which threaten humans, pets, and the ecosystem should not be kept as pets. Where we disagree is when it comes to having snakes or lizzards as pets in general. People do actually hold and play with their snakes and lizzards. What is being considered an exotic here? Domesticated ferrets? Birds? What is the purpose of having parakeets or a fish aquarium if not for vanity/looks? Just because you don't prefer reptiles as pets does not mean that those who do are harming them or being irresponsible. For the record, I do know that my snake came from a local breeder, as do most of the ball pythons around here. It isn't hard to find out and it makes sense because captive bred snakes are likely to be healthier and more docile. It is true that too many people don't research the pets they choose beforehand, but the same goes for people who don't research particular dog breeds prior to getting one. Responsible pet owners are responsible no matter what kind of pet they choose and the ones who aren't responsible will make poor choices no matter what kind of pet they get,too.
    oh my gosh lets not talk about dogs, I f'in hate puppy mills. In my perfect world people would not be allowed to breed dogs without a license from the AKC.
    Thank you for letting me get my rant out. I'm ticked about people letting their "pets" go. Do you know what the lion fish has done to our oceans? Or the cane toad to the wild life in Australia.

I don't think a snake is a pet, you can't get it to hop on your finger or walk on a leash but as long as it's local I have no problem.. like say a garder snake. I can not see how anyone can feed a snake a rat or a mouse.. it's really pitiful. I did it once.. never again.

Does a ball python live in your area? If it gets out will it survive out doors, will it breed out doors? Just something to think about. btw my daughter lives next door to girl who works at a pet shop and yep they have a few constrictors.. funny people never think of them as dangerous with their back slanting teeth and crushing muscles.

it was crumpets fault...
    note Peach throwing crumpet under the bus

oh my gosh lets not talk about dogs, I f'in hate puppy mills. In my perfect world people would not be allowed to breed dogs without a license from the AKC.
    Thank you for letting me get my rant out. I'm ticked about people letting their "pets" go. Do you know what the lion fish has done to our oceans? Or the cane toad to the wild life in Australia.

I don't think a snake is a pet, you can't get it to hop on your finger or walk on a leash but as long as it's local I have no problem.. like say a garder snake. I can not see how anyone can feed a snake a rat or a mouse.. it's really pitiful. I did it once.. never again.

Does a ball python live in your area? If it gets out will it survive out doors, will it breed out doors? Just something to think about. btw my daughter lives next door to girl who works at a pet shop and yep they have a few constrictors.. funny people never think of them as dangerous with their back slanting teeth and crushing muscles.
    Well, my snake eats prekilled rats. I buy them frozen and thaw them out and then just drop them in the cage. He gets them on his own. However, before I knew he would take frozen/thawed prey I did purchase 'thumps' from a pet store. Thumps are rodents that get knocked unconscious prior to being given to a snake. Yes, it is uncomfortable, but all animals have the right to eat and it just so happens they eat small, furry animals. It isn't any more cruel than humans eating meat of all kinds and I assure anyone that factory farm animals suffer far more for far longer than any rodent fed to a snake.

Also, snakes don't become a danger until they get about 8 feet long, so any smaller boas don't pose a threat. I just don't think people should be able to but large breed snakes (snakes that get 10 feet long and up) when they are small because ultimately they will grow and then the idiots can't house them anymore, so they either get set loose in the Everglades or let loose in the woods or set on the side of the road in an aquarium to die (that happened this winter...someone found a snake in a glass aquarium on the side of the highway. Luckily, someone at PetSmart is a snake enthusiast and took it home with her). My ball python would never survive outside in the winter (they are cold blooded and can't survive cool temperatures). People also don't tend to know that snakes don't kill/eat unless they are hungry, so if you put a rat in a cage with a snake the rat may actually harm the snake if the snake doesn't want to eat it. The same would happen in the wild.

I love these discussions.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Crumpet;
    Well, my snake eats prekilled rats. I buy them frozen does that make them ratcicles? and thaw them out and then just drop them in the cage. He gets them on his own.
    I have never heard of this, usually you have to shake the rat so the snake will think it's alive..they are supposed to be predators However, before I knew he would take frozen/thawed prey I did purchase 'thumps' from a pet store. Thumps are rodents that get knocked unconscious prior to being given to a snake. Yes, it is uncomfortable, but all animals have the right to eat and it just so happens they eat small, furry animals. It isn't any more cruel than humans eating meat of all kinds and I assure anyone that factory farm animals suffer far more for far longer than any rodent fed to a snake.

They also eat birds, fish and little hamsters and gerbils and tiny tots

Also, snakes don't become a danger until they get about 8 feet long, so any smaller boas don't pose a threat. nay nay I say. I've seen pictures of snakes trying to eat prey that was way to big for them to swallow. If it's hungry it will go for just about anything. AND we keep sliding over the fact that pythons have teeth also, many many teeth that slant backwards and if it latches on your SOL.
    I just don't think people should be able to but large breed snakes (snakes that get 10 feet long and up) when they are small because ultimately they will grow and then the idiots can't house them anymore, so they either get set loose in the Everglades or let loose in the woods or set on the side of the road in an aquarium to die (that happened this winter...someone found a snake in a glass aquarium on the side of the highway. Luckily, someone at PetSmart is a snake enthusiast and took it home with her). My ball python would never survive outside in the winter (they are cold blooded and can't survive cool temperatures).

ah ha and thats my point! Just because someone wanted a cute tiny little python they went to their local pet store and brought one home, when it got bigger and ratcicles got to expensive it let it go and now you have Pythons hanging from the trees in the glades eating more than rats.

People also don't tend to know that snakes don't kill/eat unless they are hungry, so if you put a rat in a cage with a snake the rat may actually harm the snake if the snake doesn't want to eat it. The same would happen in the wild.

yep I've actually seen that happen, they put the rat in the cage and the rat got hungry, started nibbling on the snakes back end, it got infected and died. Snakes aren't really all that easy to raise.

I love these discussions.

me too, glad you didn't get ticked off

ever see the eyelash snake? thats one beautiful viper.

^^^^^Carpet Pythons are also beautiful. They look like velvet.

But seriously, no ball python , a 4 ft long snake, would ever try to eat a person of any size (or a grown cat or dog unless is was a teacup size chiuahua weighing 2 pounds). Certainly no kingsnake, milksnakes, garter snakes, etc would either. It is rare that they try to eat something too big for them unless they are starving and desperate. But like I said, I think it is animal cruelty to sell giant breeds that will most likely end up being dumped in some way or another.

No, I never got ticked off. It's been fun.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^^^^Carpet Pythons are also beautiful. They look like velvet.

But seriously, no ball python , a 4 ft long snake, would ever try to eat a person of any size (or a grown cat or dog unless is was a teacup size chiuahua weighing 2 pounds). Certainly no kingsnake, milksnakes, garter snakes, etc would either. It is rare that they try to eat something too big for them unless they are starving and desperate. But like I said, I think it is animal cruelty to sell giant breeds that will most likely end up being dumped in some way or another.

No, I never got ticked off. It's been fun.
    It's been fun for me too! And your snake is beautiful. Probably dreams of home, Momma and the ones he left behind

It's been fun for me too! And your snake is beautiful. Probably dreams of home, Momma and the ones he left behind
    Yeah, and I tell him the same thing I tell my cats and dogs: when their lazy asses get jobs they can go get anything they want!

My all-time-favorite person-posing-with-snake photo:

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yeah, and I tell him the same thing I tell my cats and dogs: when their lazy asses get jobs they can go get anything they want!
    be nice... you could be a snack .. there he is on the phone "so Mom tonight I'm having tea and Crumpets".. bwahahaha OK that was bad but I had to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My all-time-favorite person-posing-with-snake photo:

Wow! It looks like the snake is whispering something in her ear -lol.

I've enjoyed this thread.. learned some stuff.

ETA: My favorite thing I've learned.... what thumps are
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

The spider was probably a grammostola rosea. Theyre awesome. I have one. The hairs will not blind you, it'll sting like hell in your eyes will be red and teary for up to a few days, but you'll be ok. I'm speaking from experience.

I have also owned a boa constrictor, she was about 5' long. Unfortunately she died.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information