Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Had to have our cat with cancer euthanized

Elite Member

Guys, I know just how you feel. We lost our Lucy on January 19 and I still cry every day for her. Even though I know we did everything possible for her right to the day where we had to make it stop for her because she was drowning in her own lungs. I finally decided that I would feel better if I helped another animal who would not have a home other wise. We just adopted 2 littermate yellow lab girls (3 year olds) who had been abandoned. If anyone out there is thinking of getting a dog, I enthusiastically recommend www.AdoptALab.org I still cry every day for Lucy, but at least I feel like I was able to help someone.

Awww... sorry to hear about your cat and to others who lost their loved pets. Take comfort in knowing you gave a long and quality life to the best of your knowledge and means. They gave you happy times but it's vice versa as well. Hugs to all.
    Go Habs Go!!

I'm so sorry for your loss pwry. Take comfort in the wonderful life you gave Milo. And in his last act, he spared you from having to make the difficult euthanasia decision.

pwry, I am so sorry!! Big hugs to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by pwry View Post
    he is gone.
    Oh I'm so sorry pwry!! hugs

I'm so sorry.

Silver Member

Today has been so hard. Last night was an absolute nightmare. I cannot bear this. We get so attached to our pets. In the last 5 years, I have lost 2 dogs and now my baby Milo, my first cat ever. And such a champ. Thank you for the kind words. How do we get thru this?

Quote Originally Posted by pwry View Post
    Today has been so hard. Last night was an absolute nightmare. I cannot bear this. We get so attached to our pets. In the last 5 years, I have lost 2 dogs and now my baby Milo, my first cat ever. And such a champ. Thank you for the kind words. How do we get thru this?
    We just have to face it head-on, there's no other way. We lost 2 of our cats this year and it's really hard. But I am grateful there were several months between each. A few years back, we lost both of our dogs within a week's time. Utter misery.

Silver Member

I don't know how we do it. I am a relatively young woman, early 40s, lost both my parents young, my youngest brother tragically a few years ago, and my two dogs. Now by darling Milocat. It does not get easier. I am sitting here drinking red wine, smoking ciargettes and crying my eyes out. Oh, could I have done things differently? Did he suffer? Should I have euthanised him days ago? All the questions we all go thru. Utter Misery, as you so well said.

Oh gosh guys....so sorry to everyone.

I hear you, pwry. One of our kitties died late on a Sunday night, and I kept wondering if we should have had her euthanized earlier. She'd been to the vet a few days prior and we thought she was doing better. But she deteriorated quickly and died at home. It was pretty traumatic, though she was unconscious for most of that time. I felt like we really let her down. I honestly don't know what's harder to cope with, euthanasia or the guilt of unassisted death at home.

Each time we lose one I wish we didn't have any pets because it's so painful. But ours are mostly rescues, and I realize they would have had horrible lives and died a lot earlier if we hadn't taken them in. That makes it a little easier, because unfortunately they do have much shorter lifespans than we do, and at least we take good care of them while we have them.

I think it far,far worse if you make them suffer and die with you.
    They depend on us to take care of them, and sometimes there are no other choices. I asked my vet if we fought Ginger's illness if she would have a chance at a happy little life. She said no, at 16 her chances were almost nil. That helped me.
    Another thing, there are pets out there without homes. Waiting. They haven't much time, either. My pound rescue doggy is a total joy. Ginger was put to sleep mid December. By early January, new doggy stole our hearts and made it all easier. Sometimes, I wish Ginger was here to play,too. Sometimes, I have a little weep over Ginger still, but mostly I am chasing this little rascal and my heart is full.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^McJag, I don't think most people purposely make their pet suffer and die with them. Most times it is not deliberate. Of course euthanasia is the right choice to make when your pet is suffering and there is no chance for improvement. But in our case, we had just been to the vet with her and there was no mention of euthanasia. She was only 8 and it looked like she was recovering, until she suddenly took a turn for the worse and died around midnight. For our kitty about whom I started this thread, there was no doubt it was time and I am grateful we were able to help him, though it was hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    ^^McJag, I don't think most people purposely make their pet suffer and die with them. Most times it is not deliberate. Of course euthanasia is the right choice to make when your pet is suffering and there is no chance for improvement. But in our case, we had just been to the vet with her and there was no mention of euthanasia. She was only 8 and it looked like she was recovering, until she suddenly took a turn for the worse and died around midnight. For our kitty about whom I started this thread, there was no doubt it was time and I am grateful we were able to help him, though it was hard.
    I understand. I just never have gotten over what I did to our beloved doggy many years ago. The vet told me to put him to sleep, but I was so in denial. I just couldn't do it and had to be alone with the sweet thing when he died. It was a horror I deserved, but not that dog.
    It was acute stupidity on my part.
    I always think maybe posting that might help someone out there who is going through this. Just listen to your vet.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

McJag, I am so sorry. It sounds like you went through so much pain because of your decision. Try to forgive yourself, I am 100% sure your dog would not want you to still suffer.

Edited to add: I know you disagreed with the vet because you were convinced your dog would recover. If you had been sure he would not, you would have let the vet do what he wanted. So you did this out of love and fear of ending your dog's life before his time, not because you wanted him to suffer.
    Last edited by ConstanceSpry; October 24th, 2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information