Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Had to have our cat with cancer euthanized

Thanks so much for all the kind words. I do know it was the best thing for him, but he had such a strong will to live. Even though he was weak and wobbly the last couple days, he still tried to eat and he always used his litter box though it was hard for him to walk. I wish we could have done something to help him live longer.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    It really sucks that they have such short lives, compared to human lifespan. It's just not fair.
    It really isn't. I have literally considered getting a parrot--partly because they are truly fascinating critters--but also because they are so long-lived.

It sounds like your kitty had the same cancer that killed my childhood cat, Jeremy, in 1985. It's a nasty one.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Constance. Your kitty was lucky to have such a loving family.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

^^Yes, it is a nasty cancer. Survival time is usually 3 - 4 months, so it's amazing he did well for 15. Since there was no treatment, I tried some herbal stuff which he hated, so I didn't force it on him. I did give him as much raw grass fed beef as he wanted, in addition to grain free canned food. He sure loved to eat, didn't lose his appetite until the last day.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a beloved pet. He was lucky to be in your care.

Thanks so much for all the kind words. I do know it was the best thing for him, but he had such a strong will to live. Even though he was weak and wobbly the last couple days, he still tried to eat and he always used his litter box though it was hard for him to walk. I wish we could have done something to help him live longer.
    That made me well up. RIP, little guy.

Hugs to you and your family

Thank you!!

It really sucks that they have such short lives, compared to human lifespan. It's just not fair.
    It's not. I've often wished our furbabies could live our whole lives with us. It just hurts so much when they have to go.

Constance, I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I wish I could say something to help or to make you feel better, but I hope you take comfort in knowing your kitty knew he was well loved, and that you loved him so much you took his pain away knowing it would add to your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    It's not. I've often wished our furbabies could live our whole lives with us. It just hurts so much when they have to go.

Constance, I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I wish I could say something to help or to make you feel better, but I hope you take comfort in knowing your kitty knew he was well loved, and that you loved him so much you took his pain away knowing it would add to your own.
    Thanks for that, I do hope he knew we did this to help him. I have such a hard time with euthanasia, I know that we do it to help, but deep down, it almost feels like murder. I wish they could tell us what THEY want.

Silver Member

I am going thru something very similar right now. My loverboy Milo was diagnosed with an aggressive adenocarcinoma and I brought him home last week. He has a feeding tube from the surgery and his gallbladder was removed. Today he is very weak and having great difficulty walking. I am so sad. He is sleeping now in his little cat bed in my bedroom. I am crying as I type this in the living room. I have mixed feelings about euthanasia also. ..... I just don't know but I love him so much.

^^Pwry, I am so sorry!! It does take a while for them to recover from surgery. Did they give you pain meds for him? When are they going to remove his feeding tube? Remember, we were given a couple months, but he lived for 15 months, and with good quality of life too. Milo might have quite a bit longer once he recovers from the surgery.

pwry - thinking of you tonight. Been where you are. Just love him.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Sorry about Milo, I hope he feels a bit better soon x

Silver Member

he is gone.

Oh no So sorry pwry

I'm so sorry! He's got lots of company where he is; he's probably rassling with my Apricot or being "cleaned" by my Punkin. They were both there to welcome him home.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information