Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting a puppy for the first time: Help!

Another trick to make her feel safe when you bring her home... take an old fashioned bell alarm clock and wrap it in a towel. Place it in her crate and it helps simulate her mother's heart beat and will comfort her.

Also beware of chew toys until she's at least 12-16 weeks old. Anything hard can potentially harm her baby teeth and the adult teeth waiting to come thru.

Good luck! Having a puppy is definitely an adventure. (I have 3 large dogs all brought home as pups.)

Thanks for the advice everyone. We brought Cali Beary (her full name, lol) home on Sunday and she is so much fun and such a handful. Potty training has been quite a challenge and her first night in her crate were really rough.

Last night we took her on a long walk/run and she outran my husband, who is a runner. She has endless energy, but she also naps a ton in until midday, which gives me a little time to clean the house and nap too.

Potty training is tough. She has had a handful of accidents, and I take her out every 30 minutes to potty. We also take her out twice from her crate during the night for a potty break. Hopefully today will be a better day.

I just love her so much and she is such a sweet little girl.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I was feeding Innova to my dog but now I mix up a bowl of oatmeal (uncooked) yogurt, apples, carrots, and an raw egg on top. It's really good.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypye View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone. We brought Cali Beary (her full name, lol) home on Sunday and she is so much fun and such a handful. Potty training has been quite a challenge and her first night in her crate were really rough.

Last night we took her on a long walk/run and she outran my husband, who is a runner. She has endless energy, but she also naps a ton in until midday, which gives me a little time to clean the house and nap too.

Potty training is tough. She has had a handful of accidents, and I take her out every 30 minutes to potty. We also take her out twice from her crate during the night for a potty break. Hopefully today will be a better day.

I just love her so much and she is such a sweet little girl.
    Cherry is that her in your avi? She's beautiful!

As for housebreaking, are you keeping her in the crate most of the day? The best luck I ever had was crate training very strictly. Pup is out only to go outside, eat, play time, one more time outside and then back to crate. The theory being they don't like to go where they sleep. The crate has to be small enough that they can't go in one spot and sleep in another. Maybe that will help.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I was feeding Innova to my dog but now I mix up a bowl of oatmeal (uncooked) yogurt, apples, carrots, and an raw egg on top. It's really good.
    That sounds pretty tasty. I was between Innova Evo
    and Orijen as both are such high quality food. I ended up going with Orijen, which she loves. I tried to transition her slowly, but she was picking our the orijen and leaving the other kibble, so much for that.

Cornflakegirl, yep, that's her in my avi. She loves napping on the floor all the time. That's a great idea about the constant crating. I've spent every moment she's awake chasing her to prevent an accident, and failing a lot. today after reading your post, I kept her in her crate and we had no accidents. THANK YOU!

Love your avatar pic cherrypye

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Love your avatar pic cherrypye
    Thanks Honey! That's her favorite activity - napping. It's good because at least I can get a little done, in 15 minute spurts, of course!

Thanks Honey! That's her favorite activity - napping. It's good because at least I can get a little done, in 15 minute spurts, of course!
    Such a darling doggy!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Awwww, the joys of training.

So Cali is being crate-trained. She has gotten to the point where she won't mess her crate, so big accomplishments. When she is out of her crate, she'll stand at the door to go potty and if I don't get the message within 30 seconds, well, there goes the floor. Thank you so much for the recommendation, CornFlakeGirl.

The only thing that bothers me is this: I feel like a horrible dog mom. She spends so much time in her crate. I can only let her out when I can focus 100% on her, as she tends to hide before she goes potty inside. She also chews everything - drywall, carpet, the cabinets, the silicone sealer on the wall trim. When she gets a piece of something bad in her mouth, she hides till she can finish eating it. The second I can't see her, I know she's doing something bad. And she's never proven me wrong.

We've gotten her tons of chew toys, and although she loves them, she is mostly interested in the things she can't have.

I'm preparing for out-of-state visitors later this week (for the first time in our new home) so I've got soooooooo much to do. As a result, Cali is stuck in her crate while I'm cleaning, grocery-shopping, etc. I take her out for food, potty, and a game of fetch or a quick walkie, then it's right back in so I can get back to work.

How is it that I don't have a job, and still feel like I'm not giving Cali enough attention and cheating this baby of a good home?

How long before she can be trusted? She'll be 10 weeks on Friday, so I know it comes with the territory. Still, she looks so sad. Poor thing.

You don't have to crate her that much! Just put her on a leash tied to your arm & let her do household stuff with you.
    Also, tie some bells or jingle bells to a ribbon or something & let it hang from your door knob. Ring it before you let her out and in no time she will ring it when she wants out.
    She is just a sweetie!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

McJag, I'm gonna try that right now! I'm going to clean the bathrooms first, cause Cali would love the taste of lysol, I'm sure!

Thank you thank you thank you! I just love her too, she's so spunky and cute!

She lasted 2 minutes before she peed on the brand new memory foam kitchen mat.

Oh Cali, you are testing me.

She lasted 2 minutes before she peed on the brand new memory foam kitchen mat.

Oh Cali, you are testing me.
    Umm-Cherry! She is just little! You have to tee tee her first, then she can follow you around!

I know. She's doing really well for her age, and the fact she hasn't even been home 2 weeks. I just keep thinking there's something that I should be doing differently.

After her accident, we played and she's outside sniffing around right now. We'll try again after lunch.

The best is her little sad face when she knows she did something bad. It makes me just want to snuggle her instead of correct her.

At least she seems to know right from wrong.

I know. She's doing really well for her age, and the fact she hasn't even been home 2 weeks. I just keep thinking there's something that I should be doing differently.

After her accident, we played and she's outside sniffing around right now. We'll try again after lunch.

The best is her little sad face when she knows she did something bad. It makes me just want to snuggle her instead of correct her.

At least she seems to know right from wrong.
    Bless her! Keep her at your side as much as you can and she will learn quicker. She is SO darling!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information