Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting a puppy for the first time: Help!

Thanks for the help - here's Cali!

fgg

so sweet and tiny!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    so sweet and tiny!
    Thanks! She is growing so fast, it's scary!

OH,Lawd! What a sugarplum she is! Such a little heartbreaker.
    Don't worry about the bed thing. Most big dogs (or at least mine) like their own space & don't like it on your bed. Unless it is freezing cold, then you might geta surprize visit.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    OH,Lawd! What a sugarplum she is! Such a little heartbreaker.
    Don't worry about the bed thing. Most big dogs (or at least mine) like their own space & don't like it on your bed. Unless it is freezing cold, then you might geta surprize visit.
    Thanks McJag!

If she snuck her way into my bed, I wouldn't complain!

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypye View Post
    Thanks for the help - here's Cali!

Oh, how cute! I love Siberian Huskies. One of Bailey's best play pals is a Siberian Husky. He's very protective of her and considers her one of his pack when we encounter other dogs. They're very vocal and their fur/coats need a lot of work though (lots of shedding/plucking).
    Enjoy the puppy days, they pass way too quickly.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Cute puppy! It is a lot of working raising them. Our girl is a year old now. She loves to chew. Shoes especially laces are not safe. At night we would just leave her crate door open in the kids room so she would be able to alert or even protect them if anything should happen so now she refuses to go into the crate and will pull a blanket off the bed and lay on it. Good luck with your pup

We probably weren't ideal owners because we let our puppy have her crate and once she got old enough and wasn't having accidents, just let her sleep where she wanted to because she never stopped crying when she was lonely. She maybe used her crate a handful of times, mostly when she felt like she was in shit. She was so content lying under the ceiling fan with my mom and by then she was a senior citizen that we just let it fly.

We recently adopted a shelter dog who I think is about two years old. He has such an aversion to being crated up (am guessing he may have been boxed up in the previous life) that we just let him go where he felt safe. Which turned out to be on a bed. Whoops.

I guess the moral of the story is if you can stick to being consistent, then you'll get what you pay for. I don't mind at all having the dog jump on the couch and he came fully housetrained but I know other people who have their dog trained to only stay in their areas. Whatever you prefer I think.

Oh and super cute dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Polyester Pam View Post
    We probably weren't ideal owners because we let our puppy have her crate and once she got old enough and wasn't having accidents, just let her sleep where she wanted to because she never stopped crying when she was lonely. She maybe used her crate a handful of times, mostly when she felt like she was in shit. She was so content lying under the ceiling fan with my mom and by then she was a senior citizen that we just let it fly.

We recently adopted a shelter dog who I think is about two years old. He has such an aversion to being crated up (am guessing he may have been boxed up in the previous life) that we just let him go where he felt safe. Which turned out to be on a bed. Whoops.

I guess the moral of the story is if you can stick to being consistent, then you'll get what you pay for. I don't mind at all having the dog jump on the couch and he came fully housetrained but I know other people who have their dog trained to only stay in their areas. Whatever you prefer I think.

Oh and super cute dogs!
    We used to care for our neighbor's miniature poodle whenever they were off on vacation (and we weren't ). She was a very well trained little girl except that she always jumped on couches, chairs, beds etc. (she wasn't allowed to do that by her owners, but she still did it). Now that we have our own puppy, we do try to be consistent (she tries by standing on her hind legs and putting her front paws on a piece of furniture, then she is corrected by us). She is allowed to go everywhere in the house, just not ON pieces of furniture. We've also taught her to stay in the hallway until we've dried off her paws. As soon as it becomes their "normal" there's no issue. It makes life a lot easier. Having said that, there's still tons of things she needs to learn and bad habits she needs to lose!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I've got a stupid question - I know nothing about dog doors but aren't they dangerous, as in couldn't a person get through them if they are big enough for a large dog?

Good luck with your puppy cherrypye, she's gorgeous! Dogs are brilliant companions.

Cali. I want to kiss her nose.

Crate training with Ryan and Redmond O'Neal (don't be scared)

Web Exclusive: Crate Training Mozart - OWN TV

Our yellow lab is in the crate if we're not home during the day, but at night stays out with us. She's fine out at night, but she still gets bored during the day and I'm afraid she will tear the house up. She's about 3 years old. I have another couple years before she really settles down. She gets fixed on Monday, so I'm really hoping that helps!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

First of all, the O'neals discussing training...Classic! Thanks for the video, it had some good tips in it! I couldn't get the sound to work for some reason, but found the clip with working sound at Watch Crate Training Mozart: Ryan & Tatum: The O'Neals Clips Online | Free on XFINITY TV. They are funny, aren't they!

So I bought Cali her crate -- it's an adjustable one that grows as she grows, so at least it's not money down the tubes. Hey Sarzy, good point about the doggy door...we have a security system in our house that is supposedly doggie proof, but will go off with a bigger person coming in. Honestly, I'm skeptical about the whole thing, but my husband sometimes travels and I like the added security...lets hope Cali doesn't set it off....

I hear Siberian Huskies like to be the leader in their pack and act to protect the other dogs (or people). We just have to make sure the leader of the pack doesn't decide the couch is her throne, and then we'll be a-okay.

Here's the most recent pic of Cali -- she's almost 4 weeks old. Woohoo!

Bronze Member

Smile

Aw, she's adorable! Please remember this breed of dog is bred to run, run, run - getting a long enough workout for her both psychically and emotionally is going to be an important aspect of her happiness and yours. The most contended Siberian I ever saw belonged to a family in which the dad ran marathons and the pooch trained with him daily. Just sayin'.

Just beautiful

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information