Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feral cat advice needed!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

One of my cats is incredibly timid - even now we can't pick her up (we think she was abused before we took her in). Oddly enough, we've found the best strategy was to simply co-exist with her rather than trying to get her to like us by fussing over her. She's gone from being a flash of white disappearing behind furniture when you walked into a room into a vocal little beast who will come and scream at you if she runs out of food. You still can't cuddle or pick her up or anything, but now she'll come to us for gentle tickles at arms length. She's never going to be a lap cat, but compared to how she was she's come on in leaps and bounds.

Kudos to you for taking in this little lost mogg, and I hope that you have many years of happiness together.

Quote Originally Posted by thordis View Post
    Thank you for all of the advice and encouragement. It's always so helpful to hear the voices of experience. It's even better to hear of all of the kindness you all have shown to other kitties in the same situation!

We're definitely going to keep the feral cat inside and give her lots of time to adjust at her own pace. We'll also keep on going with the Trap-Neuter-Release (and Feed!) for the rest of the colony. If only I could deduct this on our taxes!

Now if only we could come up with a name for her!
    How about Alley, because she's was originally your Alley Cat.

I had a friend who named her cat Vivienne, Vivi for short. The name just fits how wonderfully snooty her beautiful little cat was.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

If you let her return there is a chance the pride will kill her. If you don't mind having a cat that may never completely warm up to you then I say keep her. At least you will have the best mouser you could ever ask for. Spider, bugs, anything!

Feral Kitty Update: She's becoming an active participant in our household. She's shy and a little awkward, but it was unquestionably worth giving her more time to adjust. Thank you all for your encouragement and advice!

Now I'm working on homes for the surprise litter born to a feral mom in our outdoor storage room!
    Things fall apart. It's scientific.

Awwwwwww, that's really great news! Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by thordis View Post
    Feral Kitty Update: She's becoming an active participant in our household. She's shy and a little awkward, but it was unquestionably worth giving her more time to adjust. Thank you all for your encouragement and advice!

Now I'm working on homes for the surprise litter born to a feral mom in our outdoor storage room!
    That's brilliant! What name did you decide on for her? If you are still trying to think of something how about Felidae?

Hit By Ban Bus!

When we got our new house it came with a one eyed pregnant female gray cat. After much ado One Eyed Willie had her babies and we had her spayed. She was a loving cat but it did take a few years for her to become comfortable living indoors. She passed away at age 14. Willie was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    When we got our new house it came with a one eyed pregnant female gray cat. After much ado One Eyed Willie had her babies and we had her spayed. She was a loving cat but it did take a few years for her to become comfortable living indoors. She passed away at age 14. Willie was the best.
    A friend of mine has a cat who is simply called Cat. When he moved to his present house there was always a stray cat lurking, and after a few months he (the cat) started inviting himself in whenever the opportunity arose. Cat got his name because until they gave up trying to constantly kick him out the constant cry was "That cat's got in again and is asleep in the washing/on the couch/by the fireplace!" and the name just stuck. In the end a truce was called (AKA, Cat won...) and Cat moved in full time.

My sister & her hubby adopted a bunch of feral cats in N.O. probably left during Katrina. Anyway,there are about 14,but one was abandoned by her mother and adopted when she was so tiny they had to feed her every 2 hours. The rest were rounded up (with help from the local feral cat lady) & spayed & neutered at a special clinic. 30 bucks per cat. They all go in & out of her house. They allow their heads to be patted,only. They sleep in a pile under her bed during storms. My BIL buys a roasted chicken every week & feeds them-he is very popular! When they travel,the feral cat lady feeds them. Every single one has a name-Emma,April,May,Reggie Bush etc. They discovered during the surgeries that Emma was male,but by then the name just stuck. They play with her baby cat nicely.All are totally happy. Especially me-after Katrina all 4 of their pets died,one by one. 2 rescue cats. 2 rescue dogs. They were so sad,they swore no more pets. This has been such a win/win experience! I love hearing every detail & every cute kitty thing. The joy these cats bring!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It makes me so happy to hear all that you have done to help animals! It also makes me feel a little less crazy to know I'm not alone.

We named her Ink--short for Indoor Kitty. That and she's got long, jet black fur. She's such a beauty.

Thanks again for your encouraging words!
    Things fall apart. It's scientific.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information