Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Farewell, old friend: The pain of losing a pet

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Let me tell you, I may sound crazy and unbalanced, but I love my dog more than anything. She's been the most consistent, loving relationship I've ever had. I can't even think about losing her.
    The is the truth! My dogs have always been my best friends and partners. My black lab died nearly 3 years ago and I cannot talk about him without getting choked up. I picked him out when I was 10 years old (and was there giving him kisses when we put him down) and he stuck with me through everything. I was even devastated when I couldn't bring him to college with me, and he was depressed for a bit my mom said.

In his last year I got a beagle puppy to help liven Duke's spirits but he was in too much pain, so we had to do right by him and let him go to the Rainbow Bridge. God now I'm crying at work...I should know by now that these threads make me
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I will be lost when I can't hug my oldest kitty everyday. I have another cat who is so scared of most everything and everyone. Me and my husband are the light of her life.
    All my pets get depressed when we leave town.
    My dogs won't leave their crate hardly at all. (It's ok, they love the crate and go in it willingly every night to sleep.)
    The best thing about my pets is they love me no matter what. Even when I'm looking or feeling my worst. I will never forget all the joy my pets past & present have given to me and my family.
    My condolences to anyone who's lost a beloved pet.
    mama mia*
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward

I have seven cats right now - I've had at least two cats in my life for the last 30 years. I'm not married and I don't have kids so coming home to these furry bundles of joy is something I look forward to every single day. Yes, I have to clean up after them and it's not cheap feeding seven of them, but the rewards more than make up for it. And yes, they die, and you have to live with the after effects of that. I give myself a couple of months to grieve, then I run right back out and get another one or two. Why? Because there are pets that need a good home and somebody to love them, and I already know I provide a GREAT home with lots of company, food, warmth, love and attention. My Punkin died last year at age 19 and her memorable trait was that when I'd pick her up and flop her over my shoulder like a baby, she'd slobber like one until my shoulder was soppy wet.

Pets - gotta have 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by mama mia View Post
    The best thing about my pets is they love me no matter what. Even when I'm looking or feeling my worst.
    i think that my cat likes me more when I'm ill as he can sleep on the bed allday & get petted at the same time! Right now he's lying on my foot - I really don't know why.....
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Let me tell you, I may sound crazy and unbalanced, but I love my dog more than anything. She's been the most consistent, loving relationship I've ever had. I can't even think about losing her.
    No I can relate my dog loves me as much as I love her and I will be a wreck when that day comes. After working all day it is her I think about getting home to first, she is a pug and needs people just like a little child.
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town. George Carlin

My cat ran away 10 days before I was supposed to move from Italy back to the States. I woke up last month in a cold sweat at 3am, knowing she was dead. I just knew it, and people kept saying how could you know such a thing?

But the beauty of pets is that they love you no matter what...and everyone who has one has a great story to tell about how you and a great animal came together.

When it's their time, you let go, and appreciate what they did for you.....almost like a boyfriend breakup, but without the anger.
    "You can't date your fuck buddy."

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    i think that my cat likes me more when I'm ill as he can sleep on the bed allday & get petted at the same time! Right now he's lying on my foot - I really don't know why.....
    Yes, there is something about when we're not well. They seem to sense it. My kitty hardly left my side after recovering from three surgeries. She helped me get through some rough times!
    mama mia*
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward

We had to have one of our cats euthanized yesterday afternoon and my eyes are so swollen I can hardly see. She was only 12, had battled inflammatory bowel disease for quite a while. She was down to skin and bones, literally. We tried so many meds, food changes, etc. and she just would not gain weight. It was the right thing to do, but it hurts so much. I can't imagine living without animals, but this part sucks beyond belief.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Constance, I can't say enough how truly sorry I am. Your story breaks my heart. I do know how hard it is (I've had to do it several times) and I can't stand to think of another animal lover going through it. Hugs to you.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    We had to have one of our cats euthanized yesterday afternoon and my eyes are so swollen I can hardly see. She was only 12, had battled inflammatory bowel disease for quite a while. She was down to skin and bones, literally. We tried so many meds, food changes, etc. and she just would not gain weight. It was the right thing to do, but it hurts so much. I can't imagine living without animals, but this part sucks beyond belief.
    I'm so sorry. I have felt you pain. It does get easier.. as much as it sucks now. I'm sorry.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Crumpet and Rhonda, thank you!! We've also been through this more times than I care to remember, but it just never gets easier.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Crumpet and Rhonda, thank you!! We've also been through this more times than I care to remember, but it just never gets easier.
    No, it doesn't, because each pet is unique and forms its own spercial bond with you. Although, to be fair, there are some who by their very nature get closer to your heart than others (indoor lap kitty vs. outdoor half wild kitty that doesn't care for cuddling). The only consolation we have is knowing we stopped their suffering. That's it. But I keep all my animal's ashes and they each have their own vase.urn in a huge wall lenght china cabinet I keep in my room. They're still there, they just changed form, like ice does when it melts into water.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

there's nothing worse than a pet you don't connect with, be it one of those cats that spends all day hiding in the basement or a dog that's just so dumb you can't get close to it
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    No, it doesn't, because each pet is unique and forms its own spercial bond with you. Although, to be fair, there are some who by their very nature get closer to your heart than others (indoor lap kitty vs. outdoor half wild kitty that doesn't care for cuddling). The only consolation we have is knowing we stopped their suffering. That's it. But I keep all my animal's ashes and they each have their own vase.urn in a huge wall lenght china cabinet I keep in my room. They're still there, they just changed form, like ice does when it melts into water.
    Yes, we have a shelf full of urns as well, but we also have several buried in the backyard. It just totally sucks, I really miss all of them.

Grimm, I've never encountered a dog or cat like that. We've taken in strays who were really beaten down and exhausted and it took a long time of TLC for their personalities to blossom. Even the ferals we trapped and took in are lap cats now. It just takes a lot of care and patience and they'll usually come around.

Unhappy

No and we swear we will never put ourselves through it again.. but we all do.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information