Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme dining on live sea animals

This thread horrifies me. I'm getting emotional just reading it.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Oysters die in the stomach. They are alive when eaten, too. Lobsters live until they throw them in the boiling water, just like shrimps. I find all this very sick, but most people don't.
    doesn't bug me at all. in fact, i was in brittany a few days ago and visited a town where they farm oysters and you go to the harbour and buy them directly at the source and they are alive and they just slice them open for you and you pour lemon on them and eat them with a little fork. yummy. we bought lobster too and you have to keep them alive until right before you cook them. and right before chucking them in the pot you're supposed to rub their backs and this makes them kind of lethargic. i'd honestly like to say that this bugs me but i'd be lying.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

WAY OT. But is it true that lobsters scream when you add them to water?

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by sweet and sexy View Post
    Yes Grimm however at this restaurant they don't fry it, just bring it out after removing the head and then it is eaten with tentacles moving as it dies.

It is so brutal.
    If it's been decapitated it's already dead...

Eels and chickens for example will continue twitching for like 10 minutes after they've been decapitated, doesn't mean they're alive though.

A*O

The 'screaming' of lobsters and any other shellfish when put in the pot is the sound of the shell expanding in the hot water. The 'humane' way to kill and cook a lobster is to put it in cold water and slowly bring it to the boil. The lobster falls asleep as the water temp rises and never wakes up. Some people stab it through the brain and kill it instantly just before cooking it. None of this stuff is exactly new so I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked?

I moved a plant pot yesterday and accidentally knocked the tail off a small gecko that was underneath (their tails fall off very easily). The gecko ran off and the tail continued to twitch and curl/uncurl for a good 5 minutes. Weird.
    PS I didn't eat it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

SVZ

PS I didn't eat it.
    Ugh, waster...you know there are kids in Africa...blah bah blah...

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The 'screaming' of lobsters and any other shellfish when put in the pot is the sound of the shell expanding in the hot water. The 'humane' way to kill and cook a lobster is to put it in cold water and slowly bring it to the boil. The lobster falls asleep as the water temp rises and never wakes up. Some people stab it through the brain and kill it instantly just before cooking it. None of this stuff is exactly new so I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked?

I moved a plant pot yesterday and accidentally knocked the tail off a small gecko that was underneath (their tails fall off very easily). The gecko ran off and the tail continued to twitch and curl/uncurl for a good 5 minutes. Weird.
    PS I didn't eat it.
    The only question I have is, how do they actually know the lobster is falling asleep? Wouldn't it just be boiling to death slowly, making it look like it's falling asleep?

what next, hypodermic tranquiliser shots for lobsters before cooking them?
    we've been eating seafood forever, there is a foodchain, and humans are omnivores. simple as that. i really don't put much more thought into it than that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's easy to feed yourself without killing anything. It's just unnecessary nowadays. Evoltuion has made us omnivores, but most importantly it has given us a brain and a sense of moral.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

meh. we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. i still believe in the foodchain. no amount of progress and evolution can totally remove us from nature. i also think it would be a shame to throw out thousands of years of culinary art and tradition because of this. cooking and food is an artform and vegan cooking just doesn't even come close.

sex is unnecessary too. thanks to science we can have babies without it and getting rid of it would probably end a lot of diseases and make things easier, but it doesn't make it right.

Factory farming and torture isn't culinary art. Killing is not an art form.

And tradition should never be a reason not to change things. Female circumcision is a tradition, too.

The way people are treating animals is going to bite us in the ass. Bird flu, BSE, hoof and mouth disease are just heralds. Humanity is going to pay for the daily holocaust that you call an "art form".
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

God damn.. I love you Chilly.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

*bows to Venus*
    -Bugdoll-

who's talking about factory farming? don't get me wrong, i think industrialising food to the extreme is wrong as well, i just don't see the reason to go all the way to the other extreme either.

People can keep their thousand years of culinary art and tradition. I don't want any part of that shit in my kitchen or my belly.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information