Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ever hit a deer/other large animal with your car?

Deer hunting starts in Ohio today. In nine days over 400,000 hunters are expected to kill about 125,000 deer in Ohio. (many hunters coming from other states).

This toll will be about half the amount involved in accidents with vehicles.

Last year, about 67,000 deer were involved in collisions with vehicles in Ohio alone
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hunters in N.J. love deer hunting season. They hold contests to see who shot the most deer, bagged the biggest buck, etc.

Damn deer hunters used to come onto our property - several acres of which were forested - when I was growing up. Kind of scary for my parents when you have small kids and dogs.

I accidentally ran over a cat 11 years ago. It was on one of those roadways next to a hill with houses all around. It was one with heavy traffic and speed limit was around 45 MPH or so. I was driving home from work, and it was dark. Next thing you know I see a cat in the road right in front of my path, and it turned to look at my car. I could see its face in the lights. Without being able to react, I next hear a sickening thud. There were other cars behind me. I felt sick to my stomach and went back later but couldn't find the poor thing. Haunted me ever since, haven't hit anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I accidentally ran over a cat 11 years ago. It was on one of those roadways next to a hill with houses all around. It was one with heavy traffic and speed limit was around 45 MPH or so. I was driving home from work, and it was dark. Next thing you know I see a cat in the road right in front of my path, and it turned to look at my car. I could see its face in the lights. Without being able to react, I next hear a sickening thud. There were other cars behind me. I felt sick to my stomach and went back later but couldn't find the poor thing. Haunted me ever since, haven't hit anything else.
    I hit a cat once, and still remember vividly the "kathunk-a-thunk" sound it made when I ran over it. I was still a teenager, and on my way home driving down a lone and dark street, so I did not stop. A few years ago, I went out to start my husband's truck, and unbeknownst to me, a kitten had decided to to take refuge in the engine area during the night. I heard a weird sound as I started the engine, and didn't think much of it until I started driving off, and noticed a bloodied but still living kitten at the edge of the curb. I parked, jumped out of the truck and ran back inside to get my husband, close to tears. He just calmly told me to got to work, he would take care of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I hit a cat once, and still remember vividly the "kathunk-a-thunk" sound it made when I ran over it. I was still a teenager, and on my way home driving down a lone and dark street, so I did not stop. A few years ago, I went out to start my husband's truck, and unbeknownst to me, a kitten had decided to to take refuge in the engine area during the night. I heard a weird sound as I started the engine, and didn't think much of it until I started driving off, and noticed a bloodied but still living kitten at the edge of the curb. I parked, jumped out of the truck and ran back inside to get my husband, close to tears. He just calmly told me to got to work, he would take care of it...
    That's horrible.

Actually, that is how our family lost one of our most beloved cats way back when I was a kid.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information