Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever hit a deer/other large animal with your car?

Deer vs. car collisions on rise locally

Deer vs. car collisions on rise locally
    By TIM PRESTON
    The Independent

ASHLAND November 23, 2009 10:53 pm

— State highway officials say the number of deer being removed from local highways after collisions with cars and trucks may be at a record high.

“Deer activity has increased,” said Allen Blair, spokesman for the District 9 Kentucky Transportation Cabinet. “Recently, the Carter County crew removed 18 deer in one day, and there were more the next day.”

Blair said local motorists should avoid distractions, including cell phone use, and pay close attention to their surroundings if they hope to avoid a deer-related incident.

“If you live locally you know where you see them,” said Blair. “We try to document areas with deer crossing signs, so when you see a sign, please realize it is based on reports and evidence.”

Blair said deer strikes often can’t be avoided, although drivers can decrease their chances of a problem by obeying speed limits and being vigilant in the morning, especially if there is low-lying fog, and evening hours.

Barbara McGuire, office manager for McGuire’s Towing and Recovery, said certain areas seem to be hot-spots for deer crossings, although she hasn’t especially noticed a higher rate of vehicle collisions so far this year.

“Well, I-64 is always good there from Coalton to Catlettsburg,” McGuire said, recalling a recent call to recover a vehicle and trailer destroyed along that section of highway when the driver successfully avoided a deer but still ended up being in a wreck. The section of U.S. 23 near the Marathon refinery is another area where deer commonly cross the road, McGuire said, along with major sections of Rt. 3 in rural Boyd County.

Considering the evidence left from deer/vehicle collisions from their business, McGuire said she would advise drivers to make no effort to avoid such collisions.

“Just hit them,” she said. “It can be a lot worse if you try to avoid them.”
    Also, she observed “Large pickup trucks do better. Little cars usually don’t stand a chance.”

An average of 10 deer a day were removed from state roads, mostly U.S. 23, in Johnson County during the past several weeks, according to a statement from Highway District 12.

Keith Hill of the District 12 office in Paintsville said one of their trucks was loaded with nine deer collected from local roads in a single day recently.
    “Deer can do tremendous damage to a vehicle and people need to be cautious,” Hill said, who also advises drivers to be particularly cautious at daylight and twilight. “Headlights blind them for a few seconds and then they often jump right at your truck. It’s not that you hit the deer, usually the deer hits you, so it’s hard to get out of their way. We just want people to realize there are more out there than usual right now.”

In Lawrence County, highway workers report removing several deer from U.S. 23 as well as Ky. 32 each day. Floyd County maintenance crews say their deer problems tend to be along Ky. 80, Ky. 122 and Ky. 7. Knott County transportation workers say deer there seem drawn to Ky. 80 and Ky. 15.

TIM PRESTON can be reached at tpreston@dailyindependent.com or at (606) 326-2651.

Copyright © 1999-2008 cnhi, inc.

Interesting. That deer did kind of seem to jump right at me. It saw me, or the lights of my car or something cause it was looking right at me, not turned away or anything.

Well that settles it. From now on, I drive with my lights OFF when driving at night!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

My ex lived in a very rural area in Yorkshire and I was lucky enough to see deer a couple of times (and bushpigs, and swallows and... it was heavenly for a town girl!), although we did hear one being hit by a car (which didn't stop) but when we went to see if anything could be done it was already dead. It was all twisty country roads and hooligan racers decimated a lot of wildlife around there. Poor, beautiful creature, and poor Soj, too.

Geez, that sucks. Sorry your car is ruined and the deer is dead, but I am happy you are okay. *hugs*

I just found out that they have this list thing in our area too but they take the meat and give it to the soup kitchens and homeless shelters! What a great thing!

A big fear of mine too...I've had a few scary near misses, and actually had a deer run into the side of my car once (was stopped for a train..)

You're very lucky it didn't come through your windshield, Soj. I agree, the safest thing to do (for you, not the deer of course) is to just hit it square on. I was told if you brake, there's a greater chance it will come through the windshield because braking lowers the front end of your car.

We have so many deer in my area now, they come into my front yard and clean out my bird feeders. I know I shouldn't feed them but we do put out food for them when we can. I feel sorry for them, especially when they bring their babies. Poor things, their habitat is shrinking and they have no where else to go for food.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Interesting. That deer did kind of seem to jump right at me. It saw me, or the lights of my car or something cause it was looking right at me, not turned away or anything.

Well that settles it. From now on, I drive with my lights OFF when driving at night!
    That happened to my brother driving up the road to our parents' house. He said the deer was standing on the side of the road, then suddenly jumped right on his car, totally shattering the windshield. Now I'm always freaked out when I see them on the side of the road, so I go really slow, in case they're going to jump my car.

Glad you weren't hurt!

fgg

so scary! glad you are ok.

you need to get one of those sonic things for your car that tells the deer to stay the fuck away from your front bumper.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I clipped a Mule Deer buck when we lived in Colorado. No serious damage to deer or car. All that happened was the deer had a bald spot on his rump, and I had deer fur and a small ding on my car.

I'm glad you're ok, I've seen some pretty scary pictures of car/deer collisions.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    Geez, that sucks. Sorry your car is ruined and the deer is dead, but I am happy you are okay. *hugs*
    Car is not ruined. It is a 14 year old Honda Accord and has plenty of dings and bangs on it. It just has a slight bend in the left hood and slight denting, etc. -You would never be able to tell given the other damage(the car is a freakin' magnet for BEING hit...on the street, in parking lots, etc. Not a big deal there). It is just an old car and as long as it runs well I do not care too much about what it looks like.

Thankful it was not worse,etc.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I hit a doe full on when I was 17. It was dusk and I was accelerating up a hill and I didn't see it until it made impact. The car sustained $3000 worth of damage. Thankfully, no injuries for me. My dad wasn't happy though. This incident was followed a few months later by my friend T-boning the car when it was parked in her driveway. I couldn't catch a break that year.

The deer population is a real problem in NJ. You have to always be aware when driving.

Glad you're okay, Soj. Not everyone who hits a deer is so lucky. I remember hearing about a woman here in N.J. a few years ago who was taking her kids to a soccer game and a buck rammed the car and killed her.

About six or seven years ago, I was coming home from work one night and there were three deer on the side of the road. They weren't fawns, but they weren't adult deer, either. At first, I thought they were going to run and they stopped, and then suddenly they dashed in front of my car. I missed the first two deer, but the front end of the car caught the third one and ripped the hind leg off and sent the deer spinning across the highway. Didn't do much damage, but I had to get a new bulb for my right turn signal.

One of the things I learned is that when a deer runs out in front of the car and gets frozen by the headlights, just hit the horn to scare them into moving. It worked when a buck ran in front of my car a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I never thought this would happen to me because I did not live in a rural area until two years ago.

All I could think after it happened was "Thank God it did not go through the windshield!" I remember very vividly how helpless I felt when I hit it and it came hurtling up and I just moved to the left in my seat and braced for it to come through the glass...all in just a second.
    I never thought it could happen to me either. I was born and raised in Las Vegas. You just have to worry about hitting drunk pedestrians there. I'm now only 45 miles or so outside of DC, but it's pretty rural.

You are right about them being beautiful creatures. I feel terrible for the ones that get hit, and I feel terrible for the people that hit them. I'm sure it's a terrifying experience.

Soj - glad you are okay. Man, it could have been so much worse - sad about the deer, but better the deer than The Soj.

Saw a bad one on vacation in Alberta several years ago. My friend Sonja and I were on the Transcanada heading to Lake Louise and there was a wrecked full-size pickup on the side of the road with the windshield completely gone. Some guy had hit a moose on the road; the moose flew into the cab, thru the windshield and killed both the driver and the passenger. The weird thing was that the pickup was on the side of the road for days. It was a grim reminder to all of us up there.

Silver Member

Sorry about your car. I hit a deer years ago after seeing Jurrasic Park. It came out of nowhere and scared the shit out of me. The creepiest thing I ever hit was a hoot owl. I thought it was coming through the windshield.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information