Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here own a Ragdoll cat?

Hit By Ban Bus!

That's a shame, Algernon, I feel for you. One of my close friends recently had her cat shot with a bebe gun by a neighbor. Just because he wanted to.

As for ragdolls, I agree iwth you PB. They are almost too mellow, I think one needs to choose cats much like researching what type of dog is best. Ragdolls are great cats for certain people. The opposite of mine, however, that little biter! He likes to play hard. I got him when he was 6 yrs. old and he'd had to defend himself against 3 little kids before he came to me, so usually I forgive him.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    Off on a tangent about this...

We lost our beautiful black cat almost 3 years ago. It was hit on the road (we don't live on a busy street at all), and our neighbors had called animal care and control to pick her up before we even got home so that we wouldn't have to see the horror of it. They also baked us a yummy chocolate cake and were so concerned about us. They told us they had seen it happen, and that one of the renters down the street who was known for peeling out like a maniac had run her over without even stopping.

Wellllll.....fast foward almost three years...

The little girl who sometimes lives in our neighbors house (the house belongs to an old woman with many grown children who come and go and have many children of their own) was at our house visiting. Out of the blue, she brings up Spot (our cat). She says "I am not supposed to tell you this, but when your cat died, my cousin's girlfriend is the one who ran over her. She hit her on purpose because she hates black cats." My face was like this: I blew it off and said she didn't need to spin tales like that, but she started to protest and then was quiet. I honestly think she was telling the truth and I felt sick to my stomach. I suppose some people really could be THAT superstitious.

For the record, the said neighbors are sooooo wonderful and they were probably horrified enough by what this girlfriend did that they didn't tell us the truth. After the little girl (she is 10 so old enough to remember something like that) told me that I couldn't get it off my mind and it still bothers me. That cat was so beloved to us, we were completely devestated by her death and do not let our cats out at all anymore. Ugh.
    Wow Algernon, that is so uncool. My sympathies, and what is wrong with people?

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    Off on a tangent about this...

We lost our beautiful black cat almost 3 years ago. It was hit on the road (we don't live on a busy street at all), and our neighbors had called animal care and control to pick her up before we even got home so that we wouldn't have to see the horror of it. They also baked us a yummy chocolate cake and were so concerned about us. They told us they had seen it happen, and that one of the renters down the street who was known for peeling out like a maniac had run her over without even stopping.

Wellllll.....fast foward almost three years...

The little girl who sometimes lives in our neighbors house (the house belongs to an old woman with many grown children who come and go and have many children of their own) was at our house visiting. Out of the blue, she brings up Spot (our cat). She says "I am not supposed to tell you this, but when your cat died, my cousin's girlfriend is the one who ran over her. She hit her on purpose because she hates black cats." My face was like this: I blew it off and said she didn't need to spin tales like that, but she started to protest and then was quiet. I honestly think she was telling the truth and I felt sick to my stomach. I suppose some people really could be THAT superstitious.

For the record, the said neighbors are sooooo wonderful and they were probably horrified enough by what this girlfriend did that they didn't tell us the truth. After the little girl (she is 10 so old enough to remember something like that) told me that I couldn't get it off my mind and it still bothers me. That cat was so beloved to us, we were completely devestated by her death and do not let our cats out at all anymore. Ugh.
    That is sick. Apart from the sadness of losing your cat, that must have made you SO mad. What is wrong with some people???

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    I love my cat, but honestly, I couldn't see me paying that kind of money for a cat...any animal for that matter...
    Honestly, people need to start utilizing their animal shelters more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    I adopted a bunny from an animal shelter, and I'm going to our local shelter next weekend to look around because I'm thinking about volunteering (there's another reason but I haven't told my boyfriend: I saw on their website that they have a ragdoll-mix cat in there at the moment and I want to check him out...), so I'll assume you're not referring to me when you're talking about what people need to do

Gold Member

^ Tiggle, if you remember, (or feel like it) post pics when you get him/her.

My aunt has a couple ragdolls, and they really are the calmest, sweetest cats. But I can't bring myself to reccommend people go and seek out pets by breed, as it usually means they go to a breeder as opposed to a shelter. My kitties are from shelters (2 of them, anyway - we found the third wandering around the street at 4 wks old), and they are so loving and loyal, and it just breaks my heart to know that if they hadn't been adopted, they would probably have been eventually put down. If you're dead-set on a ragdoll, try looking at a shelter or a website like Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.
    Sorry to get all preachy on you :-)

Lil

A friend of mine has three ragdolls, and whilst they all have their own personalities, they are all pretty calm and laid back, as others have said. But these are indoor cats, so they are well suited to their life. They are quite big and hairy though and do need regular grooming.

For myself though, I am with those who said they'd rehome a poor kitty in need before buying one.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Geez, Algernon...that's just awful! What is wrong with people?? I had two black cats and they were the funniest and smartest cats. They both passed away pretty young. One was 10 and the other 12. The 10 year old died suddenly and the 12 year old had cancer.

I am still rather amazed that someone would take it upon themselves to run over someone else's cat basically because they felt like it. I've never met anyone like this before -- she sounds deranged and dangerous. I would have to go and talk to my neighbours about this if it were me because I think that woman needs help, serious professional help.

What she did was not only cruel, but illegal and probably evidence of severe mental illness. Lots of people may have anti-social feelings and ideas, but it's quite another to act them out. Crossing the line like that shows that she is a danger to others and her relatives hiding that fact from you only enables her to continue doing God knows what other things to animals and possibly people.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    I got Potsie from the shelter. Hes my little rescue kitty. He was about two years old when I got him, they said he was picked up as a stray, and then adopted out but then brought back...I for the life of me cant figure out why anyone would bring him back, since he is the sweetest, most patient, lovable cat ever.

My 4 year old niece is constantly climbing all over him and picking him up and carrying him around...something most cats would freak out and scratch over, and he just lets her do whatever she wants to him...lol
    Dramatically overdramatic

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I am still rather amazed that someone would take it upon themselves to run over someone else's cat basically because they felt like it. I've never met anyone like this before -- she sounds deranged and dangerous. I would have to go and talk to my neighbours about this if it were me because I think that woman needs help, serious professional help.

What she did was not only cruel, but illegal and probably evidence of severe mental illness. Lots of people may have anti-social feelings and ideas, but it's quite another to act them out. Crossing the line like that shows that she is a danger to others and her relatives hiding that fact from you only enables her to continue doing God knows what other things to animals and possibly people.
    This girlfriend is not even around anymore, so I don't feel comfortable bringing it up. But I definitely agree with you...if the story is true then that girl has got psychological issues. I'm trying to pretend like I never heard the story and keep believing Spot died due to an accident.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by tiggle View Post
    I adopted a bunny from an animal shelter, and I'm going to our local shelter next weekend to look around because I'm thinking about volunteering (there's another reason but I haven't told my boyfriend: I saw on their website that they have a ragdoll-mix cat in there at the moment and I want to check him out...), so I'll assume you're not referring to me when you're talking about what people need to do
    No I meant in people in general!

My brother bought 2 Bengal cats at about $700 a piece, so I can understand the lure of pure bred animals. I used to volunteer for my local animal shelter and the number of animals being euthanized is astounding. The worse part is a majority of the animals being PTS are owner turn-ins.

I honestly just don't understand why someone would fork over so much to purchase an animal when there are so many in need of homes that will cost a fraction of what you paid. Also when you pay the adoption fee at the shelter, the money goes right back into providing supplies for these unwanted animals and not someone's personal checking account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

My son has a cat that is part Ragdoll. I LOVE that cat. I kid him that I am going to steal him. You pick him up and he just goes limp. He is a pretty big cat too. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    My aunt has a couple ragdolls, and they really are the calmest, sweetest cats. But I can't bring myself to reccommend people go and seek out pets by breed, as it usually means they go to a breeder as opposed to a shelter. My kitties are from shelters (2 of them, anyway - we found the third wandering around the street at 4 wks old), and they are so loving and loyal, and it just breaks my heart to know that if they hadn't been adopted, they would probably have been eventually put down. If you're dead-set on a ragdoll, try looking at a shelter or a website like Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.
    Sorry to get all preachy on you :-)
    NP
    thanks for the link
    you think they ship cats to Europe though?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information