Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you let your pet lick you?

Default Re: Do you let your pet lick you?

Absoutely, completely and utterly not. I would never let my dog lick my face, lips, hands or legs, or any body part whatsoever. Really grosses me out.

I have 3 cats. One licks everything in sight. I should have named him Tongue or Licker or something like that. All of them love to lick my lotion off my body and any hair products out of my hair. The other morning I was brushing my hair and a small wet clump fell out. My cat Savannah just goes crazy over my hairspray...she drives me nuts! She will wake me during the night sucking and licking my hair right down to my scalp.

One night while my Dad was sitting on my sofa...here comes Savannah walking along the back of the sofa right up to his head and just started licking his hair, her paws were clenching his head suck suck lick lick...he's just staring at me smiling " I think she's hungry" he says to me. "No Dad" I said, "she loves hair products" That was the night I found out my Dad uses moose. lol

Gold Member

I used to have a cat that licked my hair too. My two kitties aren't lickers at all but one drools when she purrs and shakes her head so drool flies everywhere...really cute. My doggies lick me on my face and have hit my lips before, I don't care they are too cute.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Silver Member

Malika loves to lick, she will lick strangers too. I do not encourage it though. Bella, my pit bull, will lick me, but only once, she is a very shy dog.
    She is kinda strange too, when DH and I argue loud, she curls up in a ball and shivers. She is not much of a typical pit bull, but, she is older.

My cat Fonzie really likes to lick my hands. He'll come up and sit on my lap and lick and lick and lick my hands until I shove him away...which I always end up doing because he NEVER stops with the licking once he starts.

My cat Opie likes to come up to me and sniff my face and then he licks my forehead like hes trying to groom me or something. Or sometimes when he's feeling especially sweet he'll come up and lick me just once on my cheek. I think its cute.

I'd never let them lick my mouth though...

I let cats and dogs lick my hands (or feet sometimes, weird animals ), but they'd better not go near my face with their slobbery tongue, it grosses me out! ANd once an animal has licked my hands I can't wait to go wash them!The only place I ever kiss a cat is on the head. I'm always a little bit afraid of dogs so I keep a distance with them, but that's probably because I've never had one.
    Lots of cats drool when you pet them, it's cute and gross at the same time

You think your cat has a rough tongue Frank? Try getting licked by a cow, their huge tongue is like a damn grate!!! Love cows!
    Nope.

Gold Member

None of my animals are lickers but my mom has a couple that go after toes and noses. The chihuahuas are the worse, it's like roto-rooter up the nose if you're not careful. And the ears. Can't stand it!
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Sammy is not a licker on your face, his "kisses" are rubbing his nose against your nose or cheek. So cute I love it. He does like to like my hands when Im watching TV. I kiss him on the lips and tell him "your my good boy I love you".

my kitty licks my hands and toes but she won't ever lick my face. she will however stick her snotty little nose in my eyeball when i'm sleeping. lol

Both my dogs are lickers, they actually have "tongue wars" with each other. I will admit I stick my tongue out at them and they try to lick it, but usually I'm faster... not always tho

My one dog, Psycho Charlie is the wierdest, my Mom calls him Dr. Dog. After my surgeries, when I got home he was very insistent in checking out my whole body. He would actually zone in on the wounds or any new injection sites. He wouldn't do anything, but he knew exactly where my injuries were and would sniff them daily until they healed. I still go for pain management every two weeks and get a bunch of injections. He sniffs every one... weird dog, but I like to think of him as my "Early Warning System" for infection. If he smells something wrong, he would try to lick it, sure enough within a day or two I would have to go get antibiotics.

Animals are so smart...
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

Quote Originally Posted by deckchick
    If he smells something wrong, he would try to lick it, sure enough within a day or two I would have to go get antibiotics.

Animals are so smart...
    ... or so infectious!?!?! I skim-read your post - that last sentence sounds just like you dog's the one giving you cause for anti-biotics!

Quote Originally Posted by bella
    ... or so infectious!?!?! I skim-read your post - that last sentence sounds just like you dog's the one giving you cause for anti-biotics!
    It is a well documented fact that many dogs can and do smell/sense injuries and diseases.

I think the keys words are SNIFFED and TRY to lick it.

But I am glad I gave you a giggle, now go back a READ the post and comment accordingly or I shall hunt you down and let Charlie lick your face until you apologize to Dr. Dog.
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

I actually heard that dogs mouths don't hold as much bacteria in them than human's do. Something to do with special enzymes and the fact that they don't eat as many different foods as we do. I have no idea if its true and I'm sure someone will set me straight but thats just something I heard.
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

"A dog's mouth contains a lot of bacteria," says Dr. Gary "Ask the Vet" Clemons. "Remember, a dog's tongue is not only his wash cloth but also his toilet paper."
    Not only accurate, but delicately put!
    So, where did the notion that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's come from? Doctors, evidently. It has long been noted in the medical literature that human bites are more likely to become infected than those of other mammals, including dogs. Statistics to that effect were published in journals and repeated by medical professionals, and folk wisdom took off from there.
    Bites vs. closed-fist injuries
    Lately, however, the accuracy of those statistics has come under attack, with critics objecting that some of the human "bites" compared to animal bites in earlier studies weren't really bites at all. A 1988 review published in the Annals of Emergency Medicine found the following:
    • Recent study of human bites has shown that the early literature depicting all human bites as having an extraordinarily high infection and complication rate was biased by its emphasis on human bites of the hand that presented late with infection already present. These bites, the so-called closed-fist injuries (CFI), do indeed have a poor prognosis, but it may be as much due to their location and initial neglect as to the source of the injury. Human bites elsewhere do not seem to have any higher risk than animal bites, which have an infection rate of about 10
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/dogs/a/dog_breath.htm

Harmful dog germs are usually harmless for humans, unless we're talking about rabies, a disease that affects dogs and people in equally damaging ways. But generally, humans are immune to most dog germs. Likewise, human germs probably won't harm a dog. But human germs can harm humans, of course. So a bite from a human mouth full of harmful bacteria may very well be more damaging than a dog bite, even if the dog's mouth is full of harmful dog germs.
    http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/dogmouth.html

Go Ahead, Give Them a Kiss

If you want to give your pooch a kiss, it may be safer than kissing another human.
    http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=1213870

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I don't let Jake lick my face. I just don't like it. He licks boyf though, but I take great pleasure in advising him of exactly where sweet Jake has been licking just moments before.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information