Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Americans like dogs or cats best? Dogs win, cats are most disliked

I am a cat person through and through. I can't stand the neediness and constant attention a dog requires. I prefer the independence that cats have,and the fact that they do not have to be babysat nearly as much.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Dogs are just too high maintenance for me. I've spent a few minutes, holding my little indoor cat..watching the chumps walk their dogs in 6 inches of snow (and still counting)and 20 degrees out, and windy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    Dogs are just too high maintenance for me. I've spent a few minutes, holding my little indoor cat..watching the chumps walk their dogs in 6 inches of snow (and still counting)and 20 degrees out, and windy as hell.
    Technically, not chumps,
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I prefer dogs over cats.

Am allergic to the felines.

Dogs are just so loving

I am not interested in either, but I can understand much better the appeal of dogs. They will wag their tail when you come home, save you from drowning, defend you, help you find your way if you are blind and are good detectives. Cats are creepy, aloof, kill birds, leave hair on your patio furniture and dig up your daffodil bed and pee in it.

OK, cats do also kill mice. One for the plus column.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Yes, irresponsible pet owners bug me too. We've got a dog in the neighbourhood who is chained up 24/7 and barks endlessly. If the people are home, they'll open the door periodically and scream obscenities at it.
    I'd steal that dog!
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

dogs are not cute with their constantly open dripping mouths !!but they r social pets...
    cats got it all

Quote Originally Posted by bomulll View Post
    dogs are not cute with their constantly open dripping mouths !!but they r social pets...
    cats got it all
    My dog does not have a "constantly open dripping mouth".
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

For me all animals have their good points. My cats are excessively attentive and loooove attention. I distrust anyone who can hate any animals. God, is there a more innocent creature on earth?

I agree that men and other people who 'hate' cats tend to do so because they are not perceived as being sufficiently obedient, pliable, and don't make that person the center of their entire universe. So, I doubt they like women who ar independent either. It's fine to prefer one over the other for whatever reason, but there is so much bias against cats that I think a lot of it comes from stereotypes passed down from the days when people thought cats (and women of course) were part of witchcraft. There is a strong connection between woman hate and cat hate, imo. When I see a man who openly loves his cat, I already know this is a man who likes women. I've also known more than a few people who always believed negative things about cats until they had one and then they feel totally in love and were amazed at how affectionate and responsive the cats were. Every cat I've ever had came when I called. Hell, all I have to do is call any one of my animals and they all come running.

It serves Europe right that they got struck with the plague. If they hadn't persecuted all those cats out of pure ignorance, they'd have had the disease carrying rat population wiped out. I love karma.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I am not interested in either, but I can understand much better the appeal of dogs. They will wag their tail when you come home, save you from drowning, defend you, help you find your way if you are blind and are good detectives. Cats are creepy, aloof, kill birds, leave hair on your patio furniture and dig up your daffodil bed and pee in it.

OK, cats do also kill mice. One for the plus column.
    Actually, I've had both and surprisingly I ended up a cat person, although I would have done anything for either of them, they were my world. But if you were to ask me now, I would always choose a cat over a dog, mainly because of what Boogs posted. Dogs are a lot of work, or at least mine was. Cats are totally self-sufficient, very clean, won't chew through your furniture, and know how to behave around kids (this isn't a dig on ALL dogs, but a good percentage that I have seen were quite the opposite). The cats you describe don't sound domesticated. I had indoor kitties and they were terrified of the outdoors and if you threw a fake mouse at them they ran for a bit, peeked out, and saw it wasn't moving - only then would they attack! Also, I posted awhile back about how my kitty used to love bringing me his fake mice while I was sleeping, he'd put them all around my body as a gift for me. I love cats so much.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    For me all animals have their good points. My cats are excessively attentive and loooove attention. I distrust anyone who can hate any animals. God, is there a more innocent creature on earth?

I agree that men and other people who 'hate' cats tend to do so because they are not perceived as being sufficiently obedient, pliable, and don't make that person the center of their entire universe. So, I doubt they like women who ar independent either. It's fine to prefer one over the other for whatever reason, but there is so much bias against cats that I think a lot of it comes from stereotypes passed down from the days when people thought cats (and women of course) were part of witchcraft. There is a strong connection between woman hate and cat hate, imo. When I see a man who openly loves his cat, I already know this is a man who likes women. I've also known more than a few people who always believed negative things about cats until they had one and then they feel totally in love and were amazed at how affectionate and responsive the cats were. Every cat I've ever had came when I called. Hell, all I have to do is call any one of my animals and they all come running.

It serves Europe right that they got struck with the plague. If they hadn't persecuted all those cats out of pure ignorance, they'd have had the disease carrying rat population wiped out. I love karma.
    Great post. I feel the same way about men and cats. My husband came from a culture where cats were really revered and it wasn't unusual at all for men to have cats as pets, and adore them. It was actually a very cat-centric culture. It always made me smile to see his friends excited over a kitten or something, it was very different than the attitudes here. And I admit that I am one that always bought the negative stereotypes about cats as a child, and then I had one and FELL IN LOVE. Now, honestly, I can't see anything negative about them.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

As much as I love my seven kitties, I'm a "to each his/her own" kinda gal. I used to have dogs, and I just don't have any room for them and my back yard has no grass and it's not big enough for a dog to be happy in. I think it's great we're all happy with what we've got.

PS - Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Dogs are much more high maintenance for sure. In fact, I had to cancel my plans for this evening because hubby has to work late and I can't leave Crumpet inside until we get home at 8 or 8:30 pm. Of course the cats will be fine!

For low maintenance you just can't beat a snake. He eats about once or twice a month, shits once a month, pees this solid chalky substance you can pick up with a towel. He sheds once a month and you just pick that up,too (or vacuum the cage). Never had to go to the vet, no shots, and has never fucked up anything in my house.

In response January´s post and just in general: I guess it comes down again to irresponsible pet owners. Where I grew up there were a couple of dogs that terrorized me every morning on my way to school, and several more that were always disturbing the peace with incessant barking. The latter were always chained up in backyards and largely ignored by their owners. Back then I disliked dogs far more. In my current neighbourhood it seems most people have a dog, but almost every day I see their owners out walking them and I hardly hear a peep from them. I am sure that is not a coincidence. So now cats cause me much more trouble. I guess it is possible they are strays, but I think they´ve got owners who can´t be bothered to keep them from bugging the neighbours by shitting in their yards and using their flower beds as a litter box.

Cat gal for sure. I loathe the way dogs smell when they are wet.....I do. And they are quite high maintenance compared to most cats. However, I am not above ever getting a dog. If the right dog, right situation came along and the dog needed a home---I would do it.

I've had cats my entire life. Loved every one of em like my kids. Every single one was either a stray that showed up on our doorstep or came from our local shelter. All have been awesome cats.
    Our current cat, whom we adopted about 18 months ago, came from the SPCA and we did look at the dogs too. So hard.....so hard.

But hey, whatever floats your boat in life. You like dogs, great. Cats? Great. Whatever works for you.

I like dogs, but I LOVE cats! Like everyone else has said, they're not as emotionally needy as dogs and more independent, but they're still affectionate (like curling up next to you at night!). Plus they're better for working folk, since they can be left alone during the day with no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    ... I've also known more than a few people who always believed negative things about cats until they had one and then they feel totally in love and were amazed at how affectionate and responsive the cats were.
    My mom was one of those, LOATHED cats. Then she reluctantly agreed to take one in that needed a home immediately. That cat became her baby, she was devestated when the cat passed. Now she has 3 cats. They do win you over!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information