Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Damn it...I got adopted

My nerves are worn. I just put her in a "time out" in a guest bedroom I want her to feel is her own. But she is crying like the day I found her and it is breaking my heart.

She scratched my left eye and my right hand is bleeding. I'm trying to keep my cool but I've never been very good at that. I went in there once to calm her and she went back to the aggressive scratching and biting. I thought she would welcome the company but she attacked me.

I'm going to try to find a vet tomorrow that understands my hesitance for declawing, but from the ones I've researched so far, they are pro declawing.

ETA: sorry, for the constant updates, but she is finally calmed down. she is grooming her self, which is good news according to what I've read. I am scared to leave her tomorrow for 10+ hours. I hope all of the toys will be enough, but I am prepared for my guest bedroom to be destroyed.
    Last edited by Froogy; November 13th, 2011 at 09:39 PM.

That's a cute kitty Foogy.

I don't know much about cats. The one I have is my first and she's been completely indifferent to us since day one. Is your cat considered feral? Maybe that requires special handling?

I've read that if puppies are taken from their mothers too soon (before 6 weeks) they tend to be harder to handle, more aggressive as pups, etc. Something to do with missing out on important lessons mama teaches them about behaviour. Like if a pup bites it mother, she nips them or she might shove them away when they get out of line. Maybe it's the same for cats? Since yours didn't get that training, maybe you need to think/act like a mother cat?

aw hell I have no fucking clue.

Thanks CornFlake, she is for sure the product of a feral mother.

We have so many of them around here it is sad. I could be wrong, but feral traits are learned, not inherited.. at least I hope. I love her so much, but she is more aggressive than kind. Right now, she is nuzzeled under my neck but I know it wont last. I've never felt so scared of having my eyes scratched out as I do now.

Aw, my heart melted. I've got a couple of ferals - they take a bit to become accustomed to being inside, not as long if they're as young as little Ramsay is. Mine wouldn't even dream of being anywhere besides inside next to either me or each other now. Just keep in mind that kittens are curious and fearless and will try anything, usually more than once. It does take patience.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Thanks Brookie, she is still in time out and I feel terrible about it, because I hear her crying. She did a number on my face and my hands. The hands, I can understand, because they look like toys to her, but my face has made me scared of her.

Since you have experience with ferals..am I wrong? are the traits learned or inherited? I am doing my best to keep my nerves under control.

I'm off to check on her again....i feel so bad leaving her alone, even though I know she wants to scratch my eyes out

The traits are learned - I've got a former feral who's the most affectionate, sweetest, loving cat you'd ever want to meet. She's still got her street smarts - caught a mouse in the basement and wouldn't give it up for anything, and can handle herself with the other bitches in the household - but she's my lovey-est kitty. It takes some time to break the other bad habits and for her to get that YOU are the new bitch in charge.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Froogy View Post
    Thanks Brookie, she is still in time out and I feel terrible about it, because I hear her crying. She did a number on my face and my hands. The hands, I can understand, because they look like toys to her, but my face has made me scared of her.

Since you have experience with ferals..am I wrong? are the traits learned or inherited? I am doing my best to keep my nerves under control.

I'm off to check on her again....i feel so bad leaving her alone, even though I know she wants to scratch my eyes out
    My sissy raised a feral cat from about 2 weeks. She would wrap her in a soft towel and feed her with a baby bottle.
    Skip ahead 2 years-that is the most spoiled cat EVER! Such a sweetie and a snuggle bunny.
    When I had to have animal contol trap some adult ferals at my house the control officer said getting them adoped was never a problem, that after 2 weeks at the shelter most settle right down.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Congrats on the kitty!! Such a cutie!

I've had 11 cats over the years (I'm on my last one ) and some of them were very aggressive players. Mostly I just tried to not encourage the behavior and eventually they learned. My one cat still likes to go for your feet under the covers...he's 13 now. I tried everything. Hissing at them and squirt guns. Hey, another kitten might help. They can take it out on each other.

Froggy, keep her away from your face if she has no control over her claws (just a FYI claw control is learnt too - she might be a bit young at the moment if she's 4 weeks).
    I've never had a cat de-clawed,I've never even trimmed them but I live in the countryside.
    Please remember, while you are getting used to her, she's in a new enviroment and without her mom/siblings. Everything is strange for her. Shes just trying to make sense of it all.

As for the feral/non-feral debate, she needs to be handled (touched, played with, picked up & cuddled) to get her used to the human contact. She's just a baby so needs to learn. My rescue cat was a stray & he's still learning to like being picked up & won't stay in anything he's put in (basket, cardboard box etc) we're still learning about each other & it's nearly been a year.
    Thanks for the picture!
    Free Charmed.

Froogy, I understand your frustration, you got a cute cuddly little kitty but she doesn't know how to act. There are lots of articles on how to socialize feral kittens, here's one, lots more if you google. Good luck, it will take a little time but it will be worth it!

Alley Cat Allies - Socialized Cat Guide
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Froogy, you're doing a great thing! She just needs time. Like others have said, ferals can take a few weeks to adjust, and the fact that she lets you handle her at all so early on is a good sign - a lot of them will just hiss and not let anyone touch them in the beginning, so she's ahead of the game!

From one cat lover to another - thanks for doing this, Froogy.

- Mark Twain

She's a sweetie pie. You've got a big bootiful heart.

Went to the vet today and got the all clear! She is 7 weeks though, so I was a bit off, but she is a runt. She weighs 1lb 13oz. Vet says her ears and tail are underdeveloped and will probably always be that way. She has cataracts and could be partially or totally blind later in life, oh well, no is perfect.

The vet scared me because she had the vet tech take her to be checked for a microchip. I asked her why and she said it is not normal for a stray to not have worms in the poop, no ear mites or fleas, but Ramsay and I just got lucky.

Ramsay has settled down a bit. Still scratching, but understands no and I redirect her to her scratching post.

See Froggy, she's training you already!!!!
    Glad that she's well with no worms or mites. You'll be surprised at how quickly you become attached to Ramsey. Great name by the way!

Funny story... My beautiful well-trained cat woke up (on the bed!!!) in a bad mood yesterday. I stroked him & he bit me, I tried to play with him a little while later & he tried to bite me again so I thought "**** you" & left him to his own devices will I got ready for work. I'm on the toilet when he barges into the bathroom, walks up to me & TRIES TO BITE MY KNEE!!!! It was like a mouse on the back of a whale, & then he got all offended coz I was laughing at him. Just wait, you'll have many hours of fun like this to look forward too!!!
    Free Charmed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information