Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clueless about my dog

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

New chill pills in 3 different colours!

I personally think it was not very smart to assume a dog is untrainable, it's usually the owners that let dogs behave in some way because of their lack of proper training. Owners are responsible for their pets. Some dogs need more strict training than others and it's not easy.

Ok, people gave good advice, appreciate them without getting so defensive.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

This sounds like a case for the Dog Whisperer.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

The dog needs training. It would be wise to take him to a professional dog trainer because you don't know what to do at this point. Your dog can be trained, and it would be best for him and you to start on that right away.

I have a three year old dog, he tries to undermind me all of the time and take the position of "top dog" all of the time, they are pack animals, they will take control if they think you are being weak. My dog tests me all of the time, but I never back down to him otherwise I am doomed. And he is a good dog and I never have had to hit him or be mean to him ever. He can tell by the words I use and my tone that I am boss and he automatically kissing my ass when he knows he is in the wrong.

Dogs love to be trained because only then do they understand what you want and what is acceptable in your home. And training gives them attention, it's a way for you to communicate with them and they can understand you. My dog loved to be trained to go into his room at night, now he just gets up when he is tired, walks over to his room and waits for me to put his baby gate up. He is like a person, he knows what is expected of him and he does it like he is supposed to. They really are like little children in a way, they need to know what you want them to do.

And just to let you know, some breeds cannot be taken off the leash even when they are trained. My dog is trained and is a damn good dog, but I never can trust him in public places off his leash, training doesn't overpower his instincts. So please keep this in mind with your dog, keep your dog safe and on a leash. Be a good owner to him, he loves you! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    The dog needs training. It would be wise to take him to a professional dog trainer because you don't know what to do at this point. Your dog can be trained, and it would be best for him and you to start on that right away.

I have a three year old dog, he tries to undermind me all of the time and take the position of "top dog" all of the time, they are pack animals, they will take control if they think you are being weak. My dog tests me all of the time, but I never back down to him otherwise I am doomed. And he is a good dog and I never have had to hit him or be mean to him ever. He can tell by the words I use and my tone that I am boss and he automatically kissing my ass when he knows he is in the wrong.

Dogs love to be trained because only then do they understand what you want and what is acceptable in your home. And training gives them attention, it's a way for you to communicate with them and they can understand you. My dog loved to be trained to go into his room at night, now he just gets up when he is tired, walks over to his room and waits for me to put his baby gate up. He is like a person, he knows what is expected of him and he does it like he is supposed to. They really are like little children in a way, they need to know what you want them to do.

And just to let you know, some breeds cannot be taken off the leash even when they are trained. My dog is trained and is a damn good dog, but I never can trust him in public places off his leash, training doesn't overpower his instincts. So please keep this in mind with your dog, keep your dog safe and on a leash. Be a good owner to him, he loves you! Good luck.
    Very good advice.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Training any dog involves being consistant, firm and patient. There is no such thing as an 'untrainable' dog, although some are easier to train than others. You have to be willing to commit a lot of time and effort to this - they can't guess what is and isn't acceptable behaviour. Dogs are pack animals and need a Leader and that's you and if some tough love is required then you have to do it. Otherwise this dog will continue to run circles around you because it knows it can. Consult a professional trainer, listen to the advice and follow through with it for as long as it takes.
    Your post made me laugh because it reminds me of when we got rid of that "untrainable" purebred Golden, I was 8-3/4 months pregnant trying to do the whole jugular jerk thing that we learned from both trainers. At the time we also had two very messy and loud parakeets and a 3 yr old and my (wonderful) MIL staying with us, so I said to my hubby "either that dog goes or I do and I mean it"!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information