Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cat Owners: Where do you put litter box?

Default Re: Cat Owners: Where do you put litter box?

I have been so excited today to get home and check on her! And that is not like me...this cat is really cool, though!!
    and Rizzo, it's funny you mentioned pics, I have never been a pet picture taker, but thought today that I would like to have one at work....oh know, what is happening to me!! Am I becoming a cat person?!?!?!
    Absolutely no offense cat people, I kinda like the idea!!

Congrats on the kitty, sweetrebel! I'm glad you just went ahead and did it. And btw, cat people are very cool.

Update on my story. Spooky is back in the country at my aunt's with his other stray buddies. Turns out my husband was mysteriously allergic to him. I just don't get it. We've always had cats, except the last year. My husband put a brave front on for days, but finally broke down and said we had to take Spooky back. He was itchy, sneezy, miserable. How in the hell did he suddenly become allergic? Maybe Spooky's hair was too long. I don't know. I'm a bit sad about it all.

But, in all honesty, Spooky was depressed here. I think he was really used to being outside, with all the other kitties, running loose. My aunt's got SCADS of strays/litters running around, and I honestly think Spooky missed them. As soon as we brought him back, he ran to some of his friends and played, and his energy exploded. At our house he just slept, crept around slowly, and slept again. Cool thing is, we can still visit him. I go to my parents' (who live next to my aunt) every Friday.

So....thanks for everyone who supported/congratulated me on this thread, but it all ended up being for nothing anyway!!! And my husband better get used to taking pills or something, because I will not live out the rest of my life without a kitty.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I keep the kitty box in the garage.We never use the garage for parking cars.

Yeah, I have become a cat person!! And I know that I am way cool, so all others must be too!!
    Last night got home and Lucy was asleep on my pillow. I went into the livingroom and was munching on some chips and she walked up to the couch and just kinda looked at me...I told her to come on up, and she got on the throw and tried to lay down there but just couldn't get comfy so she ended up at the end of the couch on my husband's hunting pouch...she slept for a while until she heard hubby come up and his truck scared her so she got under the couch. So after about 15 minutes of hiding she came out and walked up to me and meowed *she had never meowed before*then jumped into my lap...I was so excited!! (this is where the cat person comes in) she finally started purring (she hadn't the night before) and that made me feel that she was happy! When she came to bed she was on my side for the longest time and ended up on hubby's side before morning-just like the night before! He had to love on her this morning before he left for work. We talked about him missing his cat that got killed and he admitted that was one reason he wasn't really interested in another cat...aawww...so we are really happy with our new kitty!!

You can put a box pretty much wherever you want to...just use a good deoderizer and a litter catcher in front of it and you are good to go. http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1133403746357

I use this stuff to deoderize: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...188x003&ctt=60 and have never, ever smelled the box since, despite the fact that I have two cats and I can't say that about other deodorizers I've tried.

Can I share a cute cat story?

I moved home after a couple of years away and to help my mom out I took her kitty to the vet because she was busy and I didn't mind. I had just broken up with someone and moved 500 miles away from him and I was looking for a cat for company and also because he had disliked them and not wanted me to get one. I grew up with Siamese cats and I adore them but I couldn't bear to buy a cat when so many darling ones needed homes.

So I take my parents cat to the vet, check her in and sit down. Suddenly, from the corner of the waiting room, an unearthly yowl errupted. It was a DISTINCTLY Siamese yowl. I looked over and there in a cage on their floor was a beautiful seal-point Siamese cat, staring at me and yelling his heart out. I went and talked to the girl at the counter and she said he was up for adoption, so I took him out and sat with him for a while and fell totally in love. I went home with him that day. I went back the next day and got the cat that he grew up with (the owner gave them both up) and they have been my babies ever since.

Aww, cute story, Banshee. Seems like so many cat stories have the cat choosing the person.

My stray/lost kitty that I have adopted is prompting me to consider letting both of the cats outside. New kitty, Cheeto, has stopped yowling at the windows & doors so much, but he still wants out. I have never let my first cat out. He was feral when we got him as a kitten, but hasn't been out since.

What are cat owners' opinions on this? Seems like there are pros & cons.

Pros: Less litter box business going on; cat gets more exercise; cat is happy;

Cons: Gotta keep up diligently with shots; gotta give worm meds regularly; birds might ket killed; cat might get lost or hurt or killed

We live on a dead-end road with very little traffic. What am I not considering? I'm still thinking about this. What got me considering it was the realization that one of them peed in a basket of laundry. Clean laundry. Must admit, I'm holding a small grudge against both of them.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Do you have more than one box, Lobelia? That can often stop the bad peeing behavior. Some cats just need their own box.

I don't and won't let mine out- I just couldn't bear it if they got hit by a car and around here that's pretty likely. Not to mention that the cats in the area that are let out by their owners have been turning up positive for FIV. Not good.

I let my cats out. Always have. I don't think it's fair for an animal to have to live its entire life inside. We live on a dead-end road, too. If I lived near a busy street, I'd take them out on a leash at least.

You can put bells on them, although it doesn't really stop a determined hunter. I don't think it's a big deal to keep them worm and flea free -- I use Revolution. You squeeze a small pouch between their shoulderblades once a month and that's it.

My cats actually want to be inside more than out, but we don't have the greatest weather here. They usually go out for a bit in the morning, and again at night, although I only let the former stray out at night because we have a lot of bears and raccoons around here. My Siamese boy isn't that street smart.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; November 30th, 2005 at 10:32 PM.

Ok, to answer Banshee's question & comment about the bad peeing behavior, I'm going to have to take a deep breath and acknowledge an issue that I have buried deep in the basement of my brain & refused to deal with!

*deep breath*

First kitty already had bad peeing behavior. There is an area on the floor in the living room, near a window that he pees on sometimes. It's ceramic tile, and easy to clean, so I just kept refusing to deal. Well, tonight, my husband said to me "OMG. He's not peeing on the floor, he's peeing on the chair, and it's dripping to the floor."

The chair in question is a leather recliner that no one sits in. I don't smell anything, we never do. So, kitty #1 is already a bad, bad kitty. Kitty #2 coming along is probably bound to make him worse. They are both neutered males, but still.

This is why I'm considering letting them out.

*gets up off the shrink couch*
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Eeek. Well, the bad news is that you're going to have to get rid of the recliner- he will always be able to smell his scent on it no matter how well you clean it and he will continue to use it as a box. Is that the only bad place he pees? It may be fine if you just remove it. Otherwise, he may need to be box trained all over again. (I had to do that with one of my adopted kitties.) It sucks, but it's easier on the furniture.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information