Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cat Owners: Where do you put litter box?

Default Re: Cat Owners: Where do you put litter box?

In the basement.

We keep our litter boxes in the bathrooms. Linoleum makes for easy cleanup when theres the times they step in something and track it out of the box. Also, bathrooms generally arent known for smelling great anyway...

And I'd be careful with the corn litter thing too...buy a small bag and make sure your cat will use it first. My cats refuse to use any sort of litter except for the sand/gravel scoopable stuff. We got some of that corn litter and they ended up going all over the floor.

Also, dont place the box near where kitty eats. They dont like to eat where they potty, so if you place their food by their box they might end up using the toilet someplace other than their box.

I would SERIOUSLY suggest getting a littermaid box. They're a little pricey, but well worth the cost. I use half as much litter as I did, and my bathrooms dont stink anymore..plus I dont have to worry about scooping, just emptying the container every so often. My cats like it too because their box is always clean...they for some reason have a thing about being the first to go in a clean kitty box...
    Dramatically overdramatic

Elite Member

I did not have good luck with the litter maid. One of my kitties had loose poop, and it would get caught in the blades of the scooper -- YUCK! It was grosser than it would have been just to scoop it.

I get Tidy Cat Multicat with immediate odor control and I mix in a little Tidy Cat litterbox deodorizer (I think Arm and Hammer makes a deodorizer too). It's not overpowering and doesn't turn off the cats. Our cat boxes don't smell and the cats use them consistently.

We keep our boxes in the basement and in a spare bathroom. We have a box on every floor of the house.

When I had a spare bathtub, I'd put the boxes in there -- very easy to clean up and hide (just pull the curtain)

We keep our box in the kitchen - I promise it's not gross, lol, it's a big kitchen, in a little nook where the previous owner kept his water-cooler. We thought about the basement, but it's all carpet down there, and we don't really use the basement on a daily basis, so I'd be worried it wouldn't get cleaned as often.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    We keep the litter box in the downstairs bathroom. The cats are super-picky and if one has used it, the rest will shit on the floor...but the floor is linoleum and once the shit is dry, it's easy enough to pick up and flush down the toilet.

Don't get a cat unless you're prepared to let them come and go as they please...or pick their shit up every single day.
    What is going to happen to your cats when you go back to the US, DH? Will they stay here or go with you?
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Silver Member

I, too, use a LitterMaid...for me it is the BEST!!! The cats never have to step in the other's doo doo...plus I work out of town a lot and my boyfriend would never scoop it daily.

I live in a house where we have a really large storage room that we keep the litterbox in...we put a cat door in it so the cats can go in and not have the dog bug them...I am fortunate to have cats that will go in any kind of litter, etc...never had a problem with them.

I have lived in apartments, though, where the box was in a less private area...sucked. I would vote on finding a closet of some sort and putting a cat door on it...would also make sure the floor and walls are lined with something easy to wash...I find "stuff" finds its way outta the box...cat pee on walls or hardwood is impossible to erase.

Don't forget to feed your cat a high quality food w/o by-products so they crap less!

Oh, and I'm having Saving Face withdrawl...wish they'd get the boards back up!!!

I am getting a cat today when I get off work!! Gonna sneak it home and hope that hubby doesn't have a fucking stroke!!
    Wish me luck guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    I am getting a cat today when I get off work!! Gonna sneak it home and hope that hubby doesn't have a fucking stroke!!
    Wish me luck guys!!!
    Goodness, well good luck!
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    Wish me luck guys!!!

A friend of mine did the same as you are going to do.The next day the kitty was found choked to death.Her husband killed that cat.To this day I hate that bastard.

^^He should be reported. What he did is a crime. Ugh.

I hope she left him. People who hurt animals usually hurt people too.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    ^^He should be reported. What he did is a crime. Ugh.

I hope she left him. People who hurt animals usually hurt people too.

I did report him,but he lied and she lied for him.I should have said my x friend.She is still with the creep.People can be sick.

^^You did the right thing. Sounds like they deserve one another. Poor, poor kitty.

We have a hooded litterbox with a flap-door, and it works out great. Our cats like it, and we don't have to be bothered by the smell- it's a win-win situation. The box is placed in room we don't really use for anything other than storage.

Our cats also only get vet-food, I've heard crazy stuff about the food you buy in the grocery-stores, and if they get that they'll just poop all the time.
    Mmm... Am I wrong, or did it just get fatter in here?

Brought the cat home, I had already named her Lucy! So hubby said "what the hell are you doing with a cat?" He was a little pissed, but after about 30 minutes he was laying on the bed with her, rubbing and loving on her!
    He likes her! She slept part of the night on my side of the bed then got on his side of the bed some time before morning!
    I do have a question, though. Her eyes have never dialated, and he said he thought that meant a cat was nervous or anxious...Is that true? This morning they are still huge! I know it will take some time before she feels at home, but she was eating last night so I take it that meant she was "ok"...I have never really had a cat of my own, so I would appreciate any advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo View Post
    I'm glad hubby is okay with you bringing a new kitty home!! My hubby was the same way... didn't want the cats but he loves them now.

Your new kitty will take a while to adjust to her new home. Just give her time. Don't worry about her eyes not dilating for now. Everything is new to her so she's not completely comfortable yet. Where did you get her? Has she seen a vet yet?

Congrats on the new kitty! What did you name her?
    Her name is Lucy. She showed up at a friend's house last week. We live in a college town and unfortunately, there is a problem with what I call disposable pets. They go home for holiday or graduate and the animals get put out...so, we are thinking that may be the case cause she looks so healthy. Am gonna take her to the vet. Not even sure how old she is. We think she may have some siamese in her b/c of her coloring and her beautiful blue eyes...
    She has such a unique personality! When she is through being loved on or you touch her somewhere she doesn't like, she growls...I know that sounds like a mean cat, but I like that about her...I have never been one to have an animal in my lap or all over me, so I think we will bond fine! She can get lovin when she wants it and when she doesn't, she will go on her way...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information