Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canine kidney failure?

Hope your baby is doing better. So sorry to hear what all your dog is going through,...and you as well.

Cali, any update? Fingers and everything are still crossed for a good outcome.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Sorry to read about your furbaby Cali x Sorry can't offer any advice

Elite Member

It's been almost 2 years since I lost my Lucy after a valiant fight to Kidney/Heart Failure as well as long time Addison's Disease. She fought the fight long and hard, with a drug regimen that required a dozen pills a day and injectable steroids. The steroids for the addisons and the diuretics to treat the kidney disease made her super thirsty and had to pee all the time, but when they got her meds tuned just right, it was like they pushed the sun back up in the sky. It gave us three great years. I always said to her long time vet that she was going to have to tell me when it was going to be time to stop. But, when the day came, I knew it in one second. The only thing I could think was that I had one last thing to do for Lucy. I needed to make it stop. So I did. I cry every single day for her.

Cali, I'm so sorry to hear about this. My baby pup got sick on Friday, and we thought it was curtains for her. The emergency vet took an Ultrasound of her tummy, and started throwing the word cancer around. My baby is 4.5 months old.

They wanted to operate right away, but we knew if it was cancer, we would put her down anyway. They gave her something for the nausea and the pain, and we brought her home for one last weekend of love. We planned on surgery for Monday.

Monday came, and she was fine. Today, she is running and jumping like nothing ever happened. We're taking her back in on Friday for an ultrasound, and hoping that all of this was a false alarm. Her vet seems to think perhaps the ER clinic was trying to take us for a ride.

I spent the weekend in tears. There is no such thing as just a dog. I pray your furry baby makes it through and beats the odds.

Hi guys.
    I'm sorry its taken me a bit to update this thread. I just couldn't bear to.

I had to have my girl put to sleep. She was just not recovering and her plasma infusion didn't help much. She was in a lot of pain and it was just time. It was so absolutely horrible. On top of everything, because of her infection, I had to clean all her bedding and the house and it was just heartbreaking. My brother helped me with those tasks because I just started bawling when I had to look at putting the slipcover back on 'her' chair.

I got her ashes yesterday and I just cannot deal with it. I had my family put them in a box on a shelf until I can better deal with the situation.

Kat, McJag, everyone, thank you so much. Thank you all so much for all the support. You are so right- they aren't 'just a dog' at all. I had her since she was a puppy and I NEVER expected her to go so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyester Pam View Post
    I was also terrified she wouldn't make the nights. I was heartbroken when I had to bring her to the vet and she had a cone on her head and was squinting at the sunlight. I just had this feeling that this would be it
    Somehow the lead-up to putting her to sleep was the worst. I had so many of those moments of 'this is really going to be it' that by the time it came, I was just emotionally exhausted. In a week, I had gone from having a healthy dog with a 'possible cancer scare,' to 'renal failure + huge life changes to preserve her health' to 'deadly kidney infection' to putting her to sleep. It was all so awful and so much to get used to in one week's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyester Pam View Post
    We received a call that most likely, she'd have a seizure if we brought her home and the humane thing would be to put her down. I couldn't make myself go and my mom and sister went instead to say goodbye. Apparently she just looked at them like she was ready (I saw pictures later and balled) and that was that. I was in hysterics and it took a long time before I could look at getting another dog. (As it was, I got the same breed and she was hit by a car and killedat 9 months old. Cue devastation again. A month after her I was looking online for dogs and found a little poodle cross who was being flewn in from LA as part of a bid to place dogs from high-kill shelters. I drove 3 hours to meet him, fell in love and as I write this, he's curled up on an old chair, sleeping.)

I actually just finally threw out the last of Maddie's toys this weekend but kept her collar. It sucks.

let out what you need to let out. It is so tough, it's never "just a dog". I joined an online group for people who's animals had kidney failure and it helped. You're already giving your dog the best possible life you can and that's what matters most.
    It really is awful- and like you mention, its the little things that break your heart. Like the dog's collar and food bowl. I don't think I'll ever be able to get rid of her collar.

When I had to actually put her to sleep, I had a really positive (as positive as such a thing can be at least) experience.. it was almost beautiful. That sounds weird but that's the only way I can explain it. The vet that put her down was so compassionate, they had a nice living room like private room with sofas and carpets where they let me hang out with her for as long as I wanted. She got to curl up on her pillow from home, just like always. I probably spent an hour with her, just petting her, crying and such. Then they gave her a basic sleeping injection before administering the euthanization. It was really literally like putting her to sleep. I was able to hold her all the way to the end. I never imagined that I could do such a thing, but in the end I'm glad I did. She passed in as much comfort as possible, sleeping with her head on my lap.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    It's been almost 2 years since I lost my Lucy after a valiant fight to Kidney/Heart Failure as well as long time Addison's Disease. She fought the fight long and hard, with a drug regimen that required a dozen pills a day and injectable steroids. The steroids for the addisons and the diuretics to treat the kidney disease made her super thirsty and had to pee all the time, but when they got her meds tuned just right, it was like they pushed the sun back up in the sky. It gave us three great years. I always said to her long time vet that she was going to have to tell me when it was going to be time to stop. But, when the day came, I knew it in one second. The only thing I could think was that I had one last thing to do for Lucy. I needed to make it stop. So I did. I cry every single day for her.
    In a way, I'm glad that she didn't have to go through all of that. :ugh hug: Had she made it, she would have needed 3x daily injections, and lots of fluid injections. I just don't think she would have led a full life. As flipping awful as this all was, I'm glad that my doggie didn't have to go through so much. But then again, I would give anything to have had 3 more years with her.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypye View Post
    Cali, I'm so sorry to hear about this. My baby pup got sick on Friday, and we thought it was curtains for her. The emergency vet took an Ultrasound of her tummy, and started throwing the word cancer around. My baby is 4.5 months old.
    OH MY GOSH!! HUGS! So is it cancer? I so hope not. That would be so beyond tragic.
    Last edited by Cali; November 28th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.

Elite Member

Oh Cali, I'm so sorry. When Lucy died, someone said to me the pain we feel now is the price for the love we feel. I still cry every day for her.

Cali, hugs, hugs,hugs. You know you did the right thing, but I know how awful you feel. I still have my Ginger's ashes in my closet. 2 years of deciding.
    Keep your heart open because she will send you a new companion when you least expect it.
    My Ginger was put to sleep December 18. On January 5th I was just looking at shelter pets when King cropped up. Ginger sent him to me and while I still grieve for her (like right now), there is a little furry monster snoring on my lap. He needed me as much as I needed him. Eyes open.
    Many more hugs.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Cali, I am so sorry. I know exactly how you feel as I went through almost the exact same thing 3 years ago. I had no idea how much of a wreck I would be. hope this helps a little:
    My dog is dying....

I just re-read this old thread and cried all over again. It does get better, but it never goes away.

We did get a new dog a year and a half ago. Looks exactly like Bailey. Same height, same weight, same color. We got her for free off Craigslist. We named her Gracie. She's dumb as a stump, but has a good heart.

I will admit though, it's very comforting having Gracie around, and part of me thought it will fill that hole that Bailey left, but I have to say it didn't. It's just not the same, and probably never will be.

The family with Gracie:

Hugs. Find a way to make a little tribute to her. Bailey's ashes are in an amber color glass container on the shelf in or family room. At least she's still with us as much as she can be.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

So sorry to hear about your little doggie. I know the situation, both as a person from the veterinary field and personally since I had a cat with kidney failure. Every day I had to give him IV fluid for over a year, saw his condition declining every day. Untill I could do nothing for him. My comfort is that I did the best I could to give him the best life and treatment I could. I wish I'd remember him as the beautiful massive persian cat he used to be for most of his life and not the emaciated version of him towards his end. But what can we do? That's life. I hope that when you are ready you will make another puppy very very happy. Hugs

Elite Member

I'm so sorry, Cali. It must be such a shock to have this happen so quickly to such a young dog. The only comfort is knowing you loved her and gave her the best life you could. I'm just so sorry.

Gawd dangit guys.... I just CANNOT win these past few weeks/month.

As another update, last weekend, I was trying to deal with missing my dog and being open to having a new doggie buddy, so I went to an adoption fair. And danged if one of the dogs didn't choose me!

He is the sweetest, most awkward lil hound puppy, about 3 mos old. He was in some sort of incident and lost part of his tail and his back leg but he gets around just fine! I was petting another dog at the fair and this little guy just up and climbed in my lap. He really did pick me. He was such a cuddle bug that I wound up adopting him and bringing him home.

The last week has been beautiful. He's a puppy and a handful but overall- he's the smartest, sweetest puppy I've ever had! Housebreaking has been a breeze- only 2 accidents so far!

Then tonight at the dog park, he got attacked. This nasty evil-ass dog just mauled the hell out of my lil guy. He's okay- handful of stitches in various places, mostly superficial.

But what is killing me is that he is now so spooked. He's scared to eat, he's scared of me, he's scared of everything. Its like this has triggered something from his past and the little guy is now this terrified, skittish rescue.

UHG. It is just breaking my already-broken heart all over again. He's on pain meds tonight and every time he wakes up, he starts moaning. It is killin' me.

Cali-do not lose heart! I am so glad you have the puppy and cannot believe this mauling! Does your dog park have a big dog section and an under 30 pound section like ours?
    Poor baby. Let him get all well, give him treats and get him back out there to socialize. He will get through this. Of all the luck! More hugs.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

So sorry you had to have your dog PTS Cali. I do hope your puppy is recovering

Cali, first let me say I am very sorry to hear your dog didn't make it. I can't say more than others have already said, but I've lost a dog, too, and it's heartbreaking.

As for the pup, he'll come around again. I can't help thinking what would happen to the little guy if he was with someone other than you. Because you won't give up on him and others might. He's a lucky boy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information