Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling female dog owners.. I've got questions

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    But I was wondering if a desexed female will still get her period?
    No. In spaying a dog, it isn't like a human having her tubes tied. They actually completely remove the ovaries, fallopian tubes and uterus

I like the temperament of females and haven't found them to be, on average, more difficult to deal with than males. It'll depend on the individual dog though.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Why do you get to have so many dogs, Honey?

*sulks*
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I got my dog spayed at 6 months on the dot. Our vet felt that spaying them before the first heat cycle spared them from things (certain cancers) down the road. Also, I find that having a pair of the opposite sex makes for a better combination. Male/female is best...
    Could have written this post - same experience here.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Gold Member

I have a male and a female dog and they get along awesome. Female dogs are more loyal and they are smarter. I'm crazy about my girl. I did have some issues with dominance years ago but once you train her and show her your the top female everything is fine.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Girl dogs will cut a bitch!!!! My girl is super loyal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Girl dogs will cut a bitch!!!! My girl is super loyal to me.
    I'll agree with that! I got some takeout sushi last night and wanted my dog to get off the couch and she was not having it. So I went to physically move her and she let out the most deep, scary growl I've ever heard from out of her. It was quite funny... sounded like something coming out of a rabid Pit Bull, not a floppy sweet Basset Hound. But she was smart, she knew that wasn't okay and she scampered off the couch and into her crate.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    I'll agree with that! I got some takeout sushi last night and wanted my dog to get off the couch and she was not having it. So I went to physically move her and she let out the most deep, scary growl I've ever heard from out of her. It was quite funny... sounded like something coming out of a rabid Pit Bull, not a floppy sweet Basset Hound. But she was smart, she knew that wasn't okay and she scampered off the couch and into her crate.
    Holy shit!! I get the same attitude from my LAB!!! And don't mess with her chewies. God help the cat that braves her territory while she's enjoying a chewie!!

^^ God save the dog that dared growl at me. I don't take shit from friends I feed, lol. As much as I love animals, and I do, I'd never stand for an animal even hinting at agression in my presence. It's obsolutely out of order and I'd be afraid that letting them get away with it would allow them to become more bold in the future.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Quote Originally Posted by PaintTheTownRed View Post
    I have a male and a female dog and they get along awesome. Female dogs are more loyal and they are smarter.
    That's been my experience too. I think if you're gonna have two dogs, opposite sex is the best mix. I had two females, and they basically ignored each other...never really bonded at all. After I lost my older female, I got a male and they play and sleep together and stuff. It makes me feel better about leaving them because they seem to keep each other company.

Oh, and my female is definitely the alpha dog in the house. Don't know if it's because she was there first, but she definitely doesn't take any shit from the male.

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    good question. i have no clue, but i'd like to know. i'm getting a female dachshund, but want to get her fixed fast. i'll be waiting!
    OMG, here another one! It's not a matter of "fixing"! She's already fixed as she's a female dog with her genuine sex. Actually you're going to un-fix her tubes and uterus, healthy already, and sterilize her which means that you will stop her to go into heat etc etc etc... it's not like a female dog needs to be fixed at all!!
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintTheTownRed View Post
    I have a male and a female dog and they get along awesome. Female dogs are more loyal ...
    I think that depends on the dog. I had a female collie [who has passed away] and a male mutt. Despite having the collie for much longer, the mutt was always the more loyal one.

I remember when the male was maturing and starting to test out being the leader of the two. The collie was around 6yo by then. She tolerated his putting her on the floor a few times ... I guess she was just humouring him. Then one day, he tried it again, and she went after him. You could almost hear her thinking - Look, you little pisshead, I've been here longer than you. This is MY house and I'M the boss. Now BACK OFF!

He never tried it again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information