Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Calling all cat people: Advice please!

I have a Himalayan who was just like that as a kitten. My vet suggested we put him on a food that was grain free, some cats just have issues with that element in their diet.
    I tried a few different ones, Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet (that one was about $13 a bag but lasted a month) and then another one called "Taste of the Wild" that my cat still loves, it's completely grain free, he likes the Roasted Venison and Salmon. It's $12 a bag and lasts for a month.
    He loves the food but because it has so much protein and no empty calories from grain and corn, he doesn't have to eat as much.
    It completely transformed him, he doesn't have the poop on his fur anymore and he's really muscular and his coat is so shiny so it's a great brand of food for him.
    Try around and see what foods work for your cat, it's sometimes just trial and error but higher-end ingredients do seem to help with cats that have digestive issues. I hope that helps your really adorable kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    He told me that ideally cats should only get dry food. I am truly shocked. It just doesn't seem natural to have a carnivore on biscuits.
    Mine have only ever eaten dry food but I think it depends on whether you pay the extra $ for the premium brands or just give them the supermarket stuff which has less of the good nutrients. I always make sure there are 2 full bowls of water available to them and they tend to take occasional long drinks rather than being thirst and drinking frequently. And they love it, my housemate's cat was eating some cheap rubbish and mine wouldn't go near it. Little snobs.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I hate to say it but I will be ignoring the vets advice (not something I usually do!). Feeding her just dry doesn't sound correct. Thanks once again for your information Constance. She gets dry during the day, wet food for dinner and once a week I give her fresh meat (husband is a butcher!).

I can't believe how fast she has grown. She has already lost the kitten face and has a grown up regal looking face. So beautiful and affectionate.
    Kittylady and ConstanceSpry like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Isn't it crazy how fast their little pudgy kitten face vanishes? I swear that you go to bed with a kitteny fuzzyface and wake up to see that their nose has suddenly 'popped' overnight and they're starting to look almost grown up.

Bloke's kitten is continuing to thrive on a dry-only diet and is fat and shiny and not squitting everywhere. Well, I say that she's on a dry-only diet but there's the odd slip here and there, like when a slice of ham accidentally fell into her bowl when I was making his sammiches this morning.
    Sleuth likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    I hate to say it but I will be ignoring the vets advice (not something I usually do!). Feeding her just dry doesn't sound correct. Thanks once again for your information Constance. She gets dry during the day, wet food for dinner and once a week I give her fresh meat (husband is a butcher!).

I can't believe how fast she has grown. She has already lost the kitten face and has a grown up regal looking face. So beautiful and affectionate.
    You are very welcome!
    Re. fresh meat, one of our kitties had inoperable cancer and was given a few months to live. I added as much raw, ground, grass-fed beef to his diet as he wanted to eat (the vet was horrified, but I figured we had nothing to lose and there was always lots in the bulk grass-fed box we buy) and instead of a few months, he lived almost another 18 months, and had good quality of life up until the last couple days.

And if she's changed so much, we need more PICS!!
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Ragdolls are great (and big) cats. My brother has had (and lost) two in the past 10 years. They were strays or give ups that he adopted from shelters. Very easygoing, but had weird health issues. Trimming the area is the best solution, in my opinion.

I have pictures, too. My kids loved the those cats.
    Wonderful, wise, loyal, lovely cats. My sister has had quite a few and I agree, they're just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    ^^I wouldn't feed dry only just in case all the info out there is correct and it causes renal failure. Believe me, you want to do whatever you can to prevent renal failure. One of our kitties has it and we have to give him fluids 3 times a week.

The Truth About Dry Cat Food from Blakkatz
    And, according to multiple sources including sis the ragdoll lover, that breed is somewhat prone to renal failure. She's had one die of it unseasonably young and watches the others' health carefully now.

So definitely not a dry food only diet for a ragdoll.

Can we haz more pictures please??
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Seeing as though we're sharing advice here and all the crazy cat people are gathered here does anyone know of a good way to deal with fleas? The Bloke's cat has been treated with two different types of spot on drops (Bob Martins and Frontline), sprayed with flea killer, bathed with flea shampoo (although obviously not when she's just been dabbed with flea stuff), is wearing a flea collar, is rigorously flea combed twice a day and we've repeatedly treated the carpets/furniture/soft furnishings and the little biting bastards refuse to fuck off and die. Is there some kind of super-resistant flea now? The next step is to haul her off to the vets for one of the flea injections but we're a little hesitant as we've heard stories of kitties reacting badly and dying.

This is getting ridiculous as I'm one of those people that bugs just looooove to bite (although Bloke hasn't been nibbled once, the twat) and I'm having to spray myself all over with flea stuff every time I've been there so I don't bring any home to my cats. Thankfully my precautions are working so far as my cats are remaining clear (new collars on and I've been checking them). Has anyone got any suggestions? I'm getting to the end of my itchy tether here!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

I give mine the monthly drops on the back of the neck and they've always been enough but I had a flea infestation when I first moved into this house - after about a week I noticed my cats were covered with them and their little beds were full of eggs and fleas. This went on for weeks and unfortunately the only way I could get rid of them was to vacuum the house EVERY day when I got home from work, empty out the dust, put the flea collar back in the dust chamber and get ready to do it again the next day. I did this every day for about a week before I noticed the numbers really dropping off, and another week until they were all gone. It was a fucking nightmare but they haven't been back.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Seeing as though we're sharing advice here and all the crazy cat people are gathered here does anyone know of a good way to deal with fleas? The Bloke's cat has been treated with two different types of spot on drops (Bob Martins and Frontline), sprayed with flea killer, bathed with flea shampoo (although obviously not when she's just been dabbed with flea stuff), is wearing a flea collar, is rigorously flea combed twice a day and we've repeatedly treated the carpets/furniture/soft furnishings and the little biting bastards refuse to fuck off and die. Is there some kind of super-resistant flea now? The next step is to haul her off to the vets for one of the flea injections but we're a little hesitant as we've heard stories of kitties reacting badly and dying.

This is getting ridiculous as I'm one of those people that bugs just looooove to bite (although Bloke hasn't been nibbled once, the twat) and I'm having to spray myself all over with flea stuff every time I've been there so I don't bring any home to my cats. Thankfully my precautions are working so far as my cats are remaining clear (new collars on and I've been checking them). Has anyone got any suggestions? I'm getting to the end of my itchy tether here!
    You mentioned "Bob Martins" and Frontline. Now Frontline I know, and maybe it used to be good but now it sucks. It actually gave an elderly cat of mine a nasty allergic reaction; the fur all round his neck fell out and took a while to grow back! And it didn't even work well; he still had fleas, poor old guy. I dunno what the Bob Martins brand is, but, do you have Advantage over there? It's another "drop on the back of the neck" brand, do it once every month or two, and it works GREAT. I've never had a problem as long as I keep the dosage going.

What Faithanne said, too. Sometimes you have to make an extra effort for a bit to get things under control--for me it was extra washing of throws and stuff too. But the main thing is to get a neck-drop med that works.

Or if you don't like meds, just use them long enough to eradicate fleas in the house as much as possible, and then make your cat indoor-only. You'd still have to flea comb though. Oh, and that is another tried and true method that you can employ along w/vacuuming, washing etc. to bring the levels down. If you've only got one or two cats it's not a big deal--a few minutes every other evening or so and it can be a nice ritual for you and your cat. They usually love it. Plus it is fun murdering fleas. My cats and I watch them drown and high five each other. I hate fleas so much, along with mosquitos. Completely useless, horrible creatures. Grrr. EXTERMINATE.

Good luck!!!
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I did a little more digging around after I logged off here and found plenty of people saying the same thing Kathy; Frontline is now considered to be pish and Advantage is the way to go so we're going to get some this weekend. I also found endless complaints about Bob Martin pet products which, after this fiasco, doesn't surprise me. They used to be a really good pet care brand but judging by our experience and the online reviews they have really gone down the toilet with their quality and effectiveness across their range. Thankfully I only got bitten once last night and as I have sensitive skin I felt it happen and was able to grab the little bastard and drop it into my 'murder jar' of soapy water. Call me a sick bitch if you will but I'm another who enjoys seeing their little legs kicking in death throes as they sink and drown. The direct spray seems to be helping more than the spot on drops did (even if we did have a huge eyed stoner cat for about an hour) as we're getting less off her with the comb than we did before but they still aren't gone completely.

Faithanne we've been spraying, vacuuming and washing everything - the house has never looked so clean (or smelt so insecticidal...) and while numbers are down we can't seem to quite finish them off. Every time I think we're winning they stage a fight back. I've even up-ended the couches and sprayed underneath, as well as taking off all the seat cushions and spraying the base and down into the seams. I've come close to gassing myself a few times because there's been that much stuff in the air. We were going to try a few of the Bob Martin room flea bombs too but after the reviews I don't think we will because apparently they don't even light properly half the time. And don't even get me started on the crappy BM flea collar! The bastards have been living right under it! Arrrrrgh!!!!

And the Bloke STILL hasn't been bitten. Not once. BASTARD! *scratch scratch scratch*

ETA I checked my cats again this morning. They are still in the clear so it isn't cross contamination that's the issue.

Pixie!!! A bit more grown up! I had a second picture to upload but it keeps buggering up.

re: Flea Problem: I'd recommend Advantage as well. Haven't had a cat flea problem yet but it always worked with my dog Jack. I also used flea powder on the bedding and a spray outdoors.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Squeeee! WANT!!!! She's so gorgeous!
    Sleuth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post

I have a couple of suggestions that should at least keep the fleas off your cat (but they'll still be in the house as this doesn't kill them)

- garlic. Try putting a little (!) bit througgh the cat's food. Not all cat like it, though. This should make the cat smell/taste bad to the fleas, and they'll leave to find something less offensive-smelling (you).

- Tea tree oil. Put a drop or two on your hands, rub them together and pet the cat. This smells really bad to the fleas and they should stay away from the cat. In small quantities it's not toxic. You can also mix a drop with the shampoo when you bathe the cat.

For the fleas in the rest of the house, vacuuming and spraying seems to be enough.

Nothing works as well as Advantage on the kitty's neck and spraying all the carpeting/upholstery, but if you're all chemicaled out, this will reduce the hatched flea population: Get some white (or mostly white - a colored rim is fine) plates, fill them with water that you've added a drop of liquid dish soap to, and set them around on the floor in the most infested areas with a light shining into them. Cheap desk lamps are ideal for this. The fleas are attracted to the white and the light, will jump into the plate, and drown themselves. The dish soap changes the specific gravity of the water a little, to trap them better, and it also works on their exoskeletons. In the morning, you should see little black dot-corpses all over the plates.

For the eggs, I've had good luck sprinkling 5% sevin dust (if it's available in your area) into the carpet, letting it set for 10 or 15 minutes, then vacuuming it up. Sevin is pretty toxic, so you'll want to keep the cats away while you're doing this, and be sure you've got it all vacuumed up.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I don't really like chemical stuff, but when it comes to fleas, I agree with the benefits of Advantage. One of our dogs came home from the groomers with fleas and we used Advantage on both the dogs and the cats. it wiped the fleas right out. It's one of the more benign, yet effective, flea control meds.

Re. Tea Tree oil, I would be really careful. Some cats are extremely sensitive to it, as they are to many essential oils. One of ours smelled tea tree oil on my hand when I put it on a cut, and started foaming and acting weird. Since then, i've kept if far away from the kitties.

Re. fleas in carpets, boric acid works perfectly and is not nearly as dangerous as pesticides. Vacuum thoroughly, dispose of the vacuum bag (double-wrap in plastic bags before throwing out, in case the eggs you vacuumed up hatch). Sprinkle boric acid on the carpets, including under furniture and in closets. Then use something to work the boric acid into the carpet fibre, a stiff hand brush or a broom. When we had carpets, used to leave it in for a week, then vacuum and throw out the bag and do the whole thing again, after the second time, no more fleas. Now, we have tile throughout, which makes it harder for the little buggers to gain a foothold.

Edited to add, Pixie is gorgeous!! I just want to reach into the monitor and pet her.
    Last edited by ConstanceSpry; September 19th, 2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Forgot something
    Sleuth likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information