Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Calling all cat people: Advice please!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    in our house...

Dog crack = kitty poop. With kitty litter crust = rice crispie treat!
    p.s. yes, bluebonnet, cosmic catnip too! I have some stashed in the pantry, and they crawl in there trying to get the package open!

our house too!
    thordis likes this.

Ewww!!

So before I even had a chance to get different dry food for Pixie she has started nibbling at it. So I will wait a bit longer. Perhaps she just wasn't quite ready for dry food before.

I also haven't had to wipe her bum since giving her a slight bum fluff trim (she hated it!).

Thanks also to Constance for the nutrition article!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

p.s. yes, bluebonnet, cosmic catnip too! I have some stashed in the pantry, and they crawl in there trying to get the package open!
    LOL! I could walk into the house with it in the bag from the store and my cat would climb up my leg trying to get to it! All along, yelling at me:

MEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW! *purr* *purr* *purr*

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Ewww!!

Thanks also to Constance for the nutrition article!
    You're welcome! I hope it helps.
    Had to look at the Pixie pics again, she is adorable. You are going to have so much fun with her.
    Re. cat poop = dog treats, that's why we have baby gates everywhere. And I third the cosmic catnip, the container has to go on the top shelf in the pantry or it will be raided.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

same crack, different name

in our house...

Didn't realise it was by whiskars but yeah looks the same!

Well, I live in the country so we have cat, dog, cow, sheep, horse-poop... So doggy gets a variety! Lol!

I need to find out where to get that cosmic catnip, however I think that Bogart will not appreciate it while the dog is around (since the dog keeps trying to play with the cat & the cat is nonplussed - any advice on how to make our cat more comfortable with the dog gratefully rec'd!)
    Free Charmed.

Bronze Member

Just feed the cat the food that you can afford to buy. She will learn to clean her own ass, unless you would like to keep doing it for her, forever. She will be fine, no matter what.

She really is cute. Congrats, she will bring you a lot of companionship and happiness, I'm sure.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm going to have to tell the Bloke to get some of that Cosmic catnip the next time he goes to the States with work. I once made him get some Yankee catnip for his previous cat but it never made it home (last night there + drunken tequila shennanigans = Sacramento Catnip Cocktails becoming the stuff of legend ).

Sleuth I'm glad that the bum-trim has helped. My ex had a fluffy furball and he used to regularly defuzz her arse to keep klingons at bay. They may not like it but they do seem to appreciate it (once they stop sulking lol). Also squitty tummies can be common amongst young cats. Bloke's kitten can't have wet food as it upsets her stomach and unfortunately (as me and the laundry found out this weekend) she also can't handle Whiskas dry food. On the plus side she'll happily eat cheaper supermarket own brand food without exploding so we get a happy cat and save some money too
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

she's adorable! congrats on the new furbaby.

you should try wetting her dry food. my vet recommended this for kittens up to age 2-3 months. it will also help her get accustomed to the dry food and she'll eventually eat it on its own without water.

as for the grooming, when you adopted her, was she living with her mother and other cats or was she abandoned/stray? some kitties are dirty because they get separated from their mother and she never teaches them to clean themselves.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah I spoke too soon.. still wiping her ass lol Bum trim is making the clean up a lot easier though. She has starting cleaning herself now so that is a relief. She probably found it undignified to have her ass wiped. I'm thinking Whiskas was the problem so I started to introduce her to another brand to see if it makes her happier.

She was still with her mother and siblings when I adopted at 8 weeks. Cheeky girl tried to sit on my shoulder last night.. but slipped and slid all the way down my arm.. ouchies!!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Is it adult whiskas that she's on? Bloke's moggy was fine on the whiskas kitten biscuits but the adult stuff really upsets her tummy. She's absolutely fine with Go Cat and Tesco own brand adult though.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Nah I was using kitten whiskas.. i'm trying Supercoat Kitten dry atm. I think she is getting sloppy crap because she only really wants wet food. She is showing more interest in the dry food since I started mixing it with the wet. Might try a different wet food next week as well. Gotta keep the lil girl happy lol

my cats all hated the crunch Whiskas. They 'let us' feed them the wet food, but would turn their noses up at the other stuff.

They are whores for Meow Mix crunchies. oh and they hate anything 9 Lives. you'll find one that the cat will like, then you will switch to that, and they'll decide its not good enough LOL
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I always had good luck getting kittens to eat Purina Kitten Chow brand. You could also try moistening the dry food with a little milk, if she's one of those cats who loves dairy, although that comes with a caveat... too much dairy can give certain kitties the runs, too.

All poop problems seem to be fine now but I spoke to Pixie's vet about her diet just to make sure it was a suitable food choice. He told me that ideally cats should only get dry food. I am truly shocked. It just doesn't seem natural to have a carnivore on biscuits.

^^I wouldn't feed dry only just in case all the info out there is correct and it causes renal failure. Believe me, you want to do whatever you can to prevent renal failure. One of our kitties has it and we have to give him fluids 3 times a week.

Renal Failure and Urinary Tract Disease

Cats evolved as desert creatures and are well adapted (still!) to survive in a dry climate, if fed their natural food. Cats are not thirst driven like dogs and are able to survive on less water than dogs. They compensate for reduced water intake by concentrating their urine. When fed a dry food diet (which has less than 10 percent moisture), unless they drink a lot of water, which most cats do not, they are in a constant state of dehydration. Moreover, although a cat consuming a dry food diet does drink more water than a cat consuming a canned food diet, in the end, when water from all sources is added together what's in their diet plus what they drink the cat consumes approximately HALF the amount of water compared with a cat eating canned foods.6 On a dry food diet, a cat's urine becomes overly concentrated which leads to feline lower urinary tract disease. Consumption of dry food is associated with lower urinary tract disease as is increased frequency of feeding (a.k.a "free feeding" which is how most people feed dry food), no matter what type of food is fed and obesity.

Fat, dry-food-fed cats are prone to all sorts of diseases!!

The current trend towards dry food with urine acidifiers (for urinary tract health according to pet food manufacturers) can cause metabolic acidosis, resulting in impaired kidney function and mineral imbalance that includes potassium depletion. Urine that is too acidic provides a good environment for oxalate crystals to form that can cause urinary obstruction. Struvite crystals, associated with an alkaline urinary pH were once the common form of urinary tract disorder, now calcium oxalate crystals, associated with a more acidic urinary pH, are more common.
    The Truth About Dry Cat Food from Blakkatz
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information