Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Calling all cat people: Advice please!

Squee she's adorable! You would probably want to get her trimmed anyway in your climate, which will make things easier around the bumhole area. When my little fluffball was a kitten she had poo stuck around her bum and I freaked a bit and sat her in the bathroom on an old towel for 15 minutes and bingo she cleaned it all herself.

I've only ever fed mine Science Diet dry food from day 1 - kitten food for the first year then adult after that. It's more expensive but it keeps their poo reasonably firm and it could save me thousands in vet bills down the track because they're less likely to have kidney or other organ problems later on. It's got everything they need (other than a bit of cat grass every now and then) and they're both super healthy.
    Sleuth likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

She is a living doll!
    Sleuth likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Hahaha sorry to leave you hanging.. her name is Pixie

Thank you all for your great advice! I've been giving her Whiskas kitten pouches (which she loves!!) plus supplying her with whiskas kitten dry food during the day. I was working on the assumption that her teeth might go bad if she only ate wet food. Myth??

I'll give her a slight trim around the bum as well. Thankfully she doesnt seem too upset by me cleaning her with baby wipes.
    OMG, she is so freaking cute!! I lover her! Anyway, I am also under the same assumption. I only feed my cats dry food unless a bag that I buy has a free sample of wet. They love it, it's like a treat for them.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

awww look at that little honey!! Pixie is so adorable! wet food is preferred for cats because it gives them more fluids. my stubborn siamese gained a lot of weight on a dry food only diet, then i had a bear of a time trying to ween him off it. you're fine feeding her half and half like you're doing...i do the same now (the cat won)
    Sleuth likes this.

Yup she really is a gorgeous little girl and she truly has me wrapped around her little paws. She follows me everywhere. If she loses sight of me she walks around meowing till she finds me. I'll try out another kitten dry food just in case it really is as simple as she just doesn't like the flavour of Whiskas.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

She's adorable! Congratulations on your furbaby, Sleuth!

I agree that you should be giving her dry food every now and then. Leave it until she eats it, she won't starve. I usually go two days wet and one day dry food with mine and we have a routine going.

As for the choice of dry food, kitten is best for now and also you should check the grains content on the food you are giving her. Cats are true carnivores and grains make them fat. Make sure the grains percentage on the food is as low as possible and you won't have any weight problems for the kitty. Food with fewer grains might taste better for her too.

As for the poo, she'll get the hang of it eventually. I've never owned a long haired cat but I'm sure trimming the area would help!
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

She's soooooooo gorgeous. So cute!! I am very jealous

I always thought that dry food helped keep their teeth in good condition. I always used a mix of dry and wet and changed her water bowl constantly so she would be encouraged to drink. Silly thing was always dropping her food in there and then wouldn't touch it Awww I miss my cat now Hope to get a cat again in the future, they make the best friends (better than people!)
    Novice and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

I'm not a cat person, but I do find kitties cute. Yours is adorable, congrats and I hope she figures out the whole hygiene thing soon!

Yup she really is a gorgeous little girl and she truly has me wrapped around her little paws. She follows me everywhere. If she loses sight of me she walks around meowing till she finds me. I'll try out another kitten dry food just in case it really is as simple as she just doesn't like the flavour of Whiskas.
    Aw! She's as cute as a lil' cute thing!

Don't forget that she's just a baby & is probably feeling insecurikitty at the moment, she'll settle down as she grown up.

Wet cat food & teeth - I've never heard that. We had cats when I was little and never fed then dry food and their teeth were fine. My cat currently only eats dry but that's his choice as wet gives him a runny bum. I try him on wet every so often but nah he's not interested.

Good luck with her!
    Last edited by Novice; August 19th, 2012 at 06:25 AM.
    Free Charmed.

^^Your caR eats dry food? Bet that's cheaper than gasoline!

My vet has told me that feeding only wet food can be bad for their teeth, as dry food keeps the teeth clean. If she refuses the dry food, maybe you can buy her 'toothbrush' treats?

^ I've never had a cat that didn't go crazy for those dry "Temptations" treats. We call it kitty crack.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Kitty crack =

(in our house)
    Dog Crack = Kitty every day food. Go figure!
    Free Charmed.

Sleuth, here is some very interesting food info from a vet re. what to feed. It's a loooong article, but well worth reading.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
    Bluebonnet and Sleuth like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    ^ I've never had a cat that didn't go crazy for those dry "Temptations" treats. We call it kitty crack.
    I used to have a cat whose "kitty crack" was this:

That cat on the package looks paranoid!

Ragdolls rock! They are so sweet and affectionate and are known as the "gentle giants" of the cat world.

Get used to her following you around. My Ragdoll is older and still follows me from room to room like a puppy. He has the "dingleberry" issue from time to time, too but I just use a baby wipe. I agree with everyone on here about trimming her fur in that area. That will help.
    Sleuth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Kitty crack =

(in our house)
    Dog Crack = Kitty every day food. Go figure!
    same crack, different name

in our house...

Dog crack = kitty poop. With kitty litter crust = rice crispie treat!

p.s. yes, bluebonnet, cosmic catnip too! I have some stashed in the pantry, and they crawl in there trying to get the package open!
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information