Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bite me Spidey

Are they the birds that steal other birds nests?

ETA - I think I'm thinking of a cuckoo bird

I haven't seen anyone die or get a really bad reaction. There is just something about them that creep me out. Damn wolf spiders in the pool, they carry their babies on their back...so you think you got the mom out and squish her, then theres 1,000 little ones running around!!!
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Bug spray is always good

Conkers!
    those look like buckeyes..are they the same thing? And they will keep spiders at bay??

*googled it..yes they are the same..must gather some later this fall(they are everywhere here)
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

A*O

Thing I Learned Today: Conkers (horse chestnuts) are called Buckeyes in the US.

Do Americans play with them like this? We used to do it as kids but apparently grown men still enjoy a game of conkers while relaxing around the barbie.
    YouTube - Conkers !
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Thing I Learned Today: Conkers (horse chestnuts) are called Buckeyes in the US.

Do Americans play with them like this? We used to do it as kids but apparently grown men still enjoy a game of conkers while relaxing around the barbie.
    YouTube - Conkers !
    There is no game like conkers that I know of. We mostly used them as kids as weapons to be hurled at eachother.

Buckeyes are sort of worshipped here. The state(Ohio) is the Buckeye state. The Ohio State University sports teams are the Buckeyes(#2 in the nation last year in both basketball and football-losing in both national championship games to the hated Florida/Flaw-duh.) ugh

They are used as decorations(made into things like necklaces) around here(because of the sports fanatic thing here). There is also a delicious chocolate and peanut butter candy called buckeyes (made to look like a buckeye).

Also squirrels LOVE them and will get all medieval on your ass if you come between them and the buckeyes.

The Ohio State University mascot is Brutus..a man dressed in scarlet and gray running around with a giant three foot diameter buckeye as his head~

buckeye candy:

Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    One night I was staying down the south coast of NSW with my grandmother and I'd been asleep awhile and I suddenly hear my grandma scream.

She was reading in bed and one of those spiders had fallen in between her face and her glasses as she was reading. (spidey must have been trying to scoot across the ceiling)

My gran nearly had a bloody coronary!
    Good God I about had one just reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh come ON you bunch of neurotics. How many people do you know who were killed by a spider bite?

@ Sleuth, the baby brown snakes would be more of a worry, especially as you know there's a MUMMY brown snake nearby!
    Yes that is a worry... but as i can't leave Australia anytime soon lol we will just have to stomp around like idiots so that the snakes won't get freaked out by us and do something stupid like biting us. If the family grows too much i will be giving a call to Australia Zoo so that they can relocate them for us.

And i really don't think we are neurotic ... spiders, whether venomous or not, are incredibly creepy. Its like their sole purpose in life is to scare the bejeebus out of people.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Ack! I'm all itchy after reading through this thread.

Bronze Member

I just discovered this thread, and please excuse me while I say:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!

Spiders scare the hell out of me. Just reading this thread has me feeling all itchy. I swear I'm arachnophobic, they freak me out so much. I wouldn't say I'm neurotic, I just have this unexplainable fear of spiders. When my sister and I were very little, my mom killed a black widow spider that was creeping towards us as we played outside, so that might have something to do with it.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I could live in Australia. All the snakes and spiders. Isn't there also a spider that hides in the toilet or something? (pardon me if I'm completely wrong) I don't know if there are poisonous spiders where I am, though I do know that there's thousands of long, huge spiders that build webs in the trees and on the sides of buildings. God, if one of those things dropped on me, I'd be screaming bloody murder.

Speaking of spiders that like to hide in big piles of clothing....I just remembered I need to clean out my closet, which contains plenty of clothing piles.

Yikes! It really freaks me out when I am in the shower and out of nowhere....a spider falls from the ceiling...yikes!
    Love ya,
    Dara

That is exactly why I have a mosquito netting canopy over my bed. I hate the thought of those nasty things dropping on me while I sleep. Plus it's cute over my bed.
    We have wolf and brown recluse (hobo) spiders here. The wolf spiders will actually charge at you if are walking toward one that's on the floor. Creepy bastards.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Snakes and lizards are cool to me, I pick them up and talk to them. Daddy Long Legs Spiders don't bother me, but big black spiders in the house can send me into temporary psychosis. They are okay outdoors though.

Grimm, being chased by a parent holding a spider is a horrific image. You are one Brave Motherfucker. I salute you!!!
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

I have a few spider stories....

My dad was bitten by a black widow back when we lived in So. Cal. He was bitten at night while he was sleeping on his hand. It got pretty bad before he went to see a doctor but it healed ok.
    My friend was bitten by a brown recluse and it actually did a bit of damage. It ate a big hole in her flesh around the bite. It was NASTY.

I don't think I've ever been bitten by a spider, but after watching "Arachnophobia" I can't take a shower without freaking out a little or reach into a bowl of popcorn without a bit of trepidation.....
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by elginshel View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Yep... we get them in Tassie. Grew up with them in Dad's shed, amongst his carpentry tools... and Dad wondered why I didn't like fossicking about for a hammer!

Even in my 20s I will still pull the biggest running around screaming fit if I see a huge spider. Even down to the sheepish "[male housemate's name]... canyoupleasecomeandkillthespider?"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information