Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bite me Spidey

Damn, Grimm. That's terrible.

My exhusband put a black widow in a jar and teased me with it. That fucker.

^are they big? I always wondered, how would you know its a black widow...I mean I know the red markings, but from a distance is there anyway to tell?
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    But I am not afraid of the the real little ones that cause the cobwebs or the ones we have here called grandaddy long legs.
    You do know that Daddy Long Legs are one of the most poisonous spiders here? The only reason they can't kill us is their fangs/teeth are too small to pierce our skin. I think they're cool too though.

"Arachnophobia" still scares the crap out of me, when they're crawling all over the house, up the drain, under the door, ewwww god it's nasty. I feel them all over my body. Incidentally, my brother had a tarantula that he watched for a project in college. I went to the pet store with him and the dude that was handling it was DEATHLY allergic to them. We were like, um why are you the one doing this? Apparently every other employee was scared shitless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by silver024 View Post
    ^are they big? I always wondered, how would you know its a black widow...I mean I know the red markings, but from a distance is there anyway to tell?
    Surprising to me, but they are not as big as I thought they would be. They are bigger than the common house spider, but not in the ballpark of a tarantula. They are very shiny and have these really dainty legs. Looks like they are wearing patent leather and a corset. Kinda like a dominatrix spider. We have a lot of them in SoCal. They lurk in dark areas. Normally they have their abdomen facing inward (they like to build little webs, in corners and closer to the ground) so it's not that easy to see the red hourglass.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    They are very shiny and have these really dainty legs. Looks like they are wearing patent leather and a corset. Kinda like a dominatrix spider. We have a lot of them in SoCal. They lurk in dark areas. Normally they have their abdomen facing inward (they like to build little webs, in corners and closer to the ground) so it's not that easy to see the red hourglass.
    Totally. I'm in SoCal along with KrisNine, and she desscribes them perfectly. There are so many here. I find them all the trime. Once I found a very large one and I neaarly fainted. It had a huge web and looked so scary.

I once saw one in VA. They really don't look very frightening, it's their reputation that scared the shit out of me.

Gold Member

^ The big ones look like horror-movie scary.

Um, don't they carry enough venom to kill 20 adult humans or something
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It's better to be bitten by the male than female. My cousin was bitten last summer and he was messed up with the swelling and pain. The docs believed it was a male because his symptoms weren't as bad. But they can still make you very sick. He still has a scare from the bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Um, don't they carry enough venom to kill 20 adult humans or something
    Black Widows? I'm not sure. We had a special segment on the news about local spiders and poisonous creatures and the "expert" said that only a small child, perhaps a dog or cat, the sick and the elderly could possibly be killed by the bite. Who knows.

Although their venom is extremely potent, (15 times more potent than that of the rattlesnakes; it is also reported to be much more potent than the venom of cobras and coral snakes), these spiders are not especially large. Spiders bite but do not sting, though it can sometimes feel like being stung. Compared to many other species of spiders, their chelicerae are not very large or powerful. In the case of a mature female, the hollow, needle shaped part of each chelicera, the part that penetrates the skin, is approximately 1.0 mm (around .04 inch) long, sufficiently long to inject the venom to a dangerous depth. The males, being much smaller, can inject far less venom and inject it far less deeply. The actual amount injected, even by a mature female, is very small in physical volume. When this small amount of venom is diffused throughout the body of a healthy, mature human, it usually does not amount to a fatal dose (though it can produce the very unpleasant symptoms of latrodectism). Deaths in healthy adults from Latrodectus bites are relatively rare in terms of the number of bites per thousand people. Only 63 deaths were reported in the United States between 1950 and 1989.
    HOORAH WIKIPEDIA
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i officially need to move out of Australia ... its coming into summer and i hate sweating... i have a baby huntsman in my room and its too fast for me to kill... and there are a family of baby brown snakes hanging around the washing line... and the kookaburras are ignoring them.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

A*O

Oh come ON you bunch of neurotics. How many people do you know who were killed by a spider bite?

@ Sleuth, the baby brown snakes would be more of a worry, especially as you know there's a MUMMY brown snake nearby!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

wtf is a kookaburra?

Is that like a Chuzwazza?

A*O

It's a bird. Very cute but very noisy. Sometimes called the laughing kookaburra because, um, it makes a 'laughing noise'. Loves to eat snakes.

Here's a nerd explaining about them. Warning: A mouse was harmed in the making of this video.
    YouTube - The Laughing Kookaburra

And one just for Grimm:
    YouTube - Kookaburra with song
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information