Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Black Dog Syndrome

Zee

I love big dogs and am actually afraid of small dogs. Was attacked by a little pomeranian as a child and never really forgotten the incident.

I've heard about big black dogs from a friend who works at a shelter. She puts bright collars or bandanas on her dogs to help them stand out in the cages.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

We have neighbours who live across the street from our building; they recently lost their Great Dane, Missy. She passed away due to old age.

They don't have a computer, so I went searching for a Great Dane online for them. I found one on Kijiji (Montréal annonces classées) which is a Canadian Craigslist type site.

I emailed the owner of the Great Dane puppy, and he emailed me back with his phone number, which I gave to my neighbours.

The rest is history.

You ought to see this Great Dane puppy. She's as big as a horse, and she has coal black fur that shines like satin. She's gorgeous. Her name is Becky. Naturally, Mr. Pippin and I call her 'Becky Thatcher'.

One of the closest dogs to my heart is a big black dog, but I remember her owner telling me something about these statistics. Terrible
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I have a Belgian Shepherd, who've I had since a pup, and she is just a joy. Smartest, kindest, most loyal dog I've ever had. She loves everyone and everybody. She's a people dog and would rather be around humans than other dogs. But she loves dogs too! And cats, raccoons, etc.

But...

There is something about a big black dog that DOES make people nervous. I've had several people ask me if she's a wolf. And when I take her for walks on the path, she seems to bring out the worst in other dogs, even though she shows no aggressive behavior.

Every dog I've every had has been a big black dog, come to think of it. Huh, strange! My next one will be too, as I am addicted to Belgian Shepherds.

Apparently this prejudice has been around for a while
    Church Grim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think its perhaps because they do kind of resemble wolves, which humans fear, and because they are hard to see at night.

Oh, and tdk girl, he is GORGEOUS. Reminds me of my brother's dog, Zoe, is who half golden, half husky
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

^^ Is that your Golden??? I LOVE thre red Goldens!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    ^^ Is that your Golden??? I LOVE thre red Goldens!!!
    She's a half and half and she's a glorious dog. She's my 'niece', heh, but we sometimes have her for months at a time when my sil goes in for her surgeries. My brother just feels she gets neglected during his wife's recovery, and when she's here she plays with my pup and keeps her in line. She is only four but VERY MUCH the alpha female around here.

That picture was taken at my son's birthday party. I gave her a special neckerchief for the occasion (She gets them at the groomer all the time, so I didn't think she would mind) but shortly after this picture was taken, she showed me EXACTLY what she thought of THAT by taking it and rolling it in poo! She is normally a very clean dog so I was very shocked, but then, when I took it off her, she looked SOOO pleased with herself, I suddenly understood
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    She's a half and half and she's a glorious dog. She's my 'niece', heh, but we sometimes have her for months at a time when my sil goes in for her surgeries. My brother just feels she gets neglected during his wife's recovery, and when she's here she plays with my pup and keeps her in line. She is only four but VERY MUCH the alpha female around here.

That picture was taken at my son's birthday party. I gave her a special neckerchief for the occasion (She gets them at the groomer all the time, so I didn't think she would mind) but shortly after this picture was taken, she showed me EXACTLY what she thought of THAT by taking it and rolling it in poo! She is normally a very clean dog so I was very shocked, but then, when I took it off her, she looked SOOO pleased with herself, I suddenly understood
    Dogs rolling in poo... SIGH. My previous dog liked to roll in bird poo, and when there are Canadian geese around, it ain't pretty! She also rolled in dead fish on the beach. Crazy thing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information