Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Small Dogs?

A*O

Default Re: Best Small Dogs?

Any dog (or child LOL) is prone to bad behaviour if you don't train them. It takes time and effort and consistency but it's 99% common sense. If you pick a smart breed then it does not take very long, but the most important thing is to establish yourself as the Top Dog. Dogs work on a hierarchical social system - they need to know where they stand in the pecking order and YOU have to be pack leader. Good luck!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

From what you said- you would like a small dog, not too nervous & it doesn't shed too much hair. Well:

My boyfriends Mum has a Bichon Frise ( I think that's the correct spelling) She is the cutest little thing. She looks like a little sheep, her hair is curly like one, therefore she doesn't shed like other breeds. She has the occasional visits to her poodle parlour to 'poof' her up but I guess you could do that at home. She's very playful but yet calm and timid around strangers. The perfect lap dog.

I'd like to look up pictures from google but I'm on my home computer and I don't know how to, I have a Mac at home and the mouse is weird! But I swear you should look up the Bichon Frise

A*O

It's also a sad, shallow fact that some small dogs are just too 'poncy' for some people. There are definitely 'blokey' and 'girlie' dogs so you have decide on what image you want to project
    Dame Edna Everage

LOL, I don't mind either way.

I'll probably go for the frou frou dog and keep him or her girl'ed up. I don't plan on carrying it around in my purse ala Parisite, though.

I don't know if I should get a boy dog or a girl dog. I plan on keeping my pup inside the majority of the time and since I plan to adopt from a shelter, he or she will be fixed. I've heard boy dogs some times want to mark their territory, even after they've been fixed, so I'm not sure.

I've had boys and girls and I've honestly never noticed any difference at all. They were all fixed, of course, so that probably levels things out.

If they act pretty much the same fixed, I won't worry about it then.

Since I've never had a little inside dog, I just want to make sure I get one I'm mutually compatable with. I don't want either one of us to be miserable and plotting against the other.

PUGS!!

I have two boys and a girl, I have found (and other ppl I have spoken to have found a similar trend) that the boys tend to be more cuddly and the girls are more independent but bigger clowns.
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore0101
    PUGS!!

I have two boys and a girl, I have found (and other ppl I have spoken to have found a similar trend) that the boys tend to be more cuddly and the girls are more independent but bigger clowns.
    Oh yea, my pug is a boy and he's sooo cuddly and a sweet little baby.

My SIL has a pug shitzu mix that's a girl and she's soo extremely hyper to the point she looks like she has ADD. She has another pug terrier mix, this one is a boy but he somehow learned from the bigger sis (pug/shitzu cross) to behave all hyper and is as crazy as if not worse. It might be all because of training though (or lack thereof).

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Silver Member

I am not a fan of dogs.
    However the only dog I would ever get is a Bichon. My neighbor has one, he is adorable and patient with the kids. I love him.

Gold Member

Yorkies are sweet little things but they have their share of health problems, including seizures (we lost one from this).

Like mentioned, Chihuahuas are hit or miss. All of the ones my mom has are sweet and very mell mannered. The neighbor's dog had to be muzzled at the vet, held down for his medication and so on. Some are mean little things.

Personally, I love pomeranians. They are very low maintenance on the coat, love to play and are very affectionate. Several of my mother's will use the litterbox. Just for the record, they did that on their own, I guess they figured the cats weren't using it, might as well. Anyway, they are really great little dogs. Like any breed, they have their genetic health problems, but, if you get one that is larger in size, some of the problems aren't an issue. This breed used to be about the size of a keeshond and now they're almost pocket size. My mom has some that weigh only a couple of pounds all the way up to 20-some pounds and they're purebred. It's all in the genetics. If you do an image search, you'll see just how many variations there are in the breed, but I definitely think you'll fall in love with them.

When I get a chance I'll post some pics of some of my mom's.

Well, I'm partial to Pekes, which are very much like long-haired pugs. I love pugs too but I got both of mine from the pound and I happened to find Pekes before I found pugs. Then my sister got a pound Peke and my parents got a rescue Peke. So the extended family likes them quite a lot! They also shed like crazy but I kind of prefer their shedding a little bit to the pug shedding because the hair is longer and doesn't poke you as much as the bristle-y pug hair. But they are equally messy hairwise, in my experience. Pekes take themselves far more seriously than pugs do. They have a funny kind of dignified attitude even though they often appear ridiculous. They are prone to the same health problems as pugs (respiratory/eye) plus back problems/arthritis due to their long backs. They can be quite stubborn but it's a bit laughable. Also they tend not to need too much exercise (though it of course varies by individual and I've seen Pekes who can run all day) because with the stubby nose and general physique, they are not really built for a lot of activity. When I took my first Peke to obedience classes, the teacher was telling all the owners that a lot of exercise is important for keeping a dog from tearing up your home and causing trouble. She said, "Once around the block is not enough." Then she looked at me and another Peke person and said, "Except for you two. You'll be lucky to make it around the block." Which is true!

Any as long as they are prepared properly(prefer mine cajun spicy) and are accompanied by the appropriate wine.

A*O

Removed. I apologise - I brought my irritation at over-sentimentalising about animals over from a different thread. Believe it or not I do like animals - I have two dogs who I adore. Pitbulls are a different matter but that's another discussion.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo
    Uh, regarding pitbulls, not all pitbulls attack babies. Here's the thing about pitbulls: you HEAR about every single attack becaust it makes news. And so many short haired dogs are mistaken as pitbulls it's ridiculous. What that means is: even though a pitbull attack is reported, that doesn't necessarily mean the dog was truly a pitbull. Nobody said pits aren't aggressive toward OTHER DOGS but the notion that they're baby killers is fucking retarded.

Research the breed before you post your assumptions.

Anyways... Laurent, it's AWESOME you plan on rescuing a dog in need!!!!
    Ha! Reminds me of the time I was walking my younger Peke and we went past a pit bull and I sort of pulled her closer to me. The woman with the pit said nastily, "He's a friendly dog." And I said, "Well, SHE'S not and you shouldn't judge a book by its cover!" And right on cue, my dog lunged.

She has an unfortunate tendency to want to attack anything that's big enough to eat her, Rottweilers being a favorite. Obedience lessons have helped...a little.

jack russels are active and high energy! have you finally decided on a small dog?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information