Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby panda for Zoo Atlanta!

I will have to go to the Atlanta Zoo website and check out the baby pix. I love me some panda cubs.

For Lewis Black fans: his take on celebrity births including the panda.
    http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewid...k_index.jhtml&

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

great news the baby is a little girl and she is healthy and happy as she can be! It's amazing to see how fast she is growing. Lots of new pictures and videos up on the Zoo website. she is darling!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

pandas are so cute! I saw a vid clip of the baby panda on the news. They said it's now 5 times bigger than when it was born.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I watch the the little panda cub every day on the Atlanta zoo website. She is getting more hair now and is looking more like a little bear. When panda cubs are born, they look more like rats than anything else. Anyway, looks she's going to be a cutie, but it's hard to get a good look at her, because Mom is often holding her.

Here's the Atlanta Zoo panda cub at her first exam:

cub update: she had another exam today and her eyes are 75% open! She's healthy! I laughed out loud when I read they said that she is a "solid cub!" She is a little fatty! they have great pictures on the zoo website and the Atlanta Journal website! zooatlanta.org and ajc.com.
    The pictures of the baby are so precious I cried a little bit.

she's now at 3.8 lbs and 16 inches from nose to tip of tail. go little girl!
    Last edited by panda; October 12th, 2006 at 12:24 PM.

She really could not be any cuter!! Such a chunker!

picture from exam is my new avator!

Panda cub gets feisty

By TOM SABULIS | Thursday, October 26, 2006, 09:37 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Maybe it’s because she feels her teeth beginning to show.

Or maybe she didn’t like the lens of the panda paparazzi hovering in her face.

Whatever the reason, Zoo Atlanta’s Giant Panda cub turned a little feisty Thursday morning. During her weekly physical, she squawked and suddenly lunged, albeit weakly, at a newspaper photographer who was busy clicking her profile. Then, almost instantly, she started to nod off to sleep.

At 50 days old, the panda baby weighs 5.5 pounds, a half pound more than last week, and has grown to 18 inches from nose to tip of tail.

“She’s growing very well, very steadily,” zoo veterinarian Maria Crane said. “Her incisors are beginning to erupt and her hair coat is much thicker than last week. She’s getting stronger. She’s a little more active and she’s trying to push up.” The cub is not expected to walk until about four months.

Meanwhile, mother panda Lun Lun, according to keeper Jay Pratte, is regaining muscle mass that was lost during pregnancy, when expectant pandas stop eating for the most part. She weighs about 105 kilos, or about 231 pounds, roughly ten pounds below her normal weight, he said.

She is cute! I'm glad to hear that she is so healthy and doing so well.

(I read the updates from the zoo daily.)

I do, too. She's a cutie, and seems to have a very attentive mom.

November 2 exam:

Atlanta Zoo: zooatlanta.org
    Thursday,
    November 2
    The cub had her sixth health check this morning. She continues to thrive. She weighed 2.79 kg (6.15 lbs) and was 49 cm (19.3 in) long from her nose to the tip of her tail. She used her forelegs to push her upper body up during the procedure, which is a precursor to learning to walk. Her ears are more erect now and she has been reacting to sounds for the last several days.

AJC report: ajc.com
    Snerk! Panda cub fit as a fiddle
    By Mark Davis | Thursday, November 2, 2006, 10:13 AM The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

She’s gained weight. Her teeth are round little nubs. Her nails are as sharp as roof tacks.
    She is, in other words, in great shape.
    The baby giant panda at Zoo Atlanta underwent her weekly exam Thursday morning. It’s a routine procedure designed to monitor the cub’s development — a chance, too, to wow her handlers. Their assessment? The child is longer, stronger, more prone to let people know what she’s thinking.
    “Snerk!” The 57-day-old baby grunted once and fixed eyes as bright as black marbles on her handlers, three energetic young women who came to poke and probe. She’d just been removed from the heated space she shares with her mom, Lun Lun, and looked vaguely irritated.
    Maria Crane, the zoo’s chief veterinarian, gently thrust a glove-clad index finger in the little creature’s mouth. White jaws clamped shut, a furry vise. The latex snapped softly as Crane removed her finger.
    “She has teeth,” Crane announced.
    But that’s not all. The baby has grown more than an inch; from soft little nose to furry little tail, she now stretches 19.5 inches. She’s put on about a half-pound in the last seven days, making the scales groan at 6 pounds. The ears? Last week, they were beginning to stand erect. This week, they were still rising, and sat atop her head like surprised wooly-worms.
    She is doing just what a baby panda should be doing after less than two months on this earth. She’s eating, sleeping, hanging close to mama, and making the occasional editorial comment.

I emailed the Zoo gift shop and they do have mama with baby logo t-shirts and sweat shirts. The aren't available online yet, you have to call them to order. They will be putting baby bear items online in the future.

Panda...I was thinking about you when I saw her latest photos yesterday! She is beyond cute and about 40 days from getting her name

I thought about you, too, Panda, when I saw the photos yesterday. I didn't even realize that they would soon have panda t-shirts and other other panda items available. Oooh, I want!

Bronze Member

Unhappy Panda Bears are so beautiful and amazing

I love Panda's, How I wish they were free and safe to be where they are from. As the other wild animals that must live in zoo's in captivity, I guess it's the only way to keep them safe from harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    I love Panda's, How I wish they were free and safe to be where they are from. As the other wild animals that must live in zoo's in captivity, I guess it's the only way to keep them safe from harm.
    Unfortunately, it's starting to look this way for a lot of animals. I've spent the last year and a half studying and learning as much as I can about pandas. They are making progress in the world, mostly due to what has been learned in captivity. There is a male panda that was released into the wild in China this year. He was tagged and collared with a GPS tracking device to monitor his progress. So far, it seems to be a success. Only time will tell. Also, it looks like there may be more pandas in the wild than previously thought. I love pandas too, in case you couldn't tell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information