Page 30 of 99 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast
Like Tree4116Likes

Thread: The "awwwwwww!" thread for all your disgustingly cute animal needs

Hurray Mohondas, he's a cute little guy, what's his name? Maybe you can peepad train him as well. They do have small bladders and if you're going to be gone longer than 5 hours it might be a good idea. He looks so calm and cute in that sweater.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Elite Member

He should be able to hold his bladder longer than that eventually. All the different homes has probably confused him. Dogs won't mess up their own space, their "in door" space. Given the proper sized crate, you start there. Every time you open the crate, you take him outside to pee. If he has an accident, don't punish him, put him in the crate for 30 minutes and then take him out immediately. After he does his business outside, praise him exuberantly. The strict folks have a full schedule for new dogs, crate hours, play hours, eating, walking, and then loosen the schedule gradually but I never managed that.

yeah, never take the dog out if he's barking, in fact, react as little as possible to any bark. People turn dogs into barkers without even realizing it. Even a negative reaction to a bark, like shouting at dogs, only encourages them. Of course, exercise helps enormously in avoiding all bad dog behaviors. I like it when my dog "talks" to me, using moans and whines, so that's what I react to.

One trick I learned with my dog was training her to sit at the front door when she needed to go out. It's a little tedious, but it works. As we played, every time she touched the front door, I'd take her out. No, she didn't need to, but she learned that touching the front door (or sitting at any door) was a signal she had to pee or poop.

It will be irritating for a few days, making the connection for him by taking him out every...damn...time he touches the door, but it works.

Oh man, now I want a new pup.
    Brookie and MohandasKGanja like this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    Hurray Mohondas, he's a cute little guy, what's his name? Maybe you can peepad train him as well. They do have small bladders and if you're going to be gone longer than 5 hours it might be a good idea. He looks so calm and cute in that sweater.
    His name it "Taz". That was the name he had at the shelter, and we think it was from the last owner. I'm guessing somehow related to Tasmanian devil and spinning around? We liked the name and kept it.

I never heard of a peepad before. That sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    He should be able to hold his bladder longer than that eventually. All the different homes has probably confused him. Dogs won't mess up their own space, their "in door" space. Given the proper sized crate, you start there. Every time you open the crate, you take him outside to pee. If he has an accident, don't punish him, put him in the crate for 30 minutes and then take him out immediately. After he does his business outside, praise him exuberantly. The strict folks have a full schedule for new dogs, crate hours, play hours, eating, walking, and then loosen the schedule gradually but I never managed that.

yeah, never take the dog out if he's barking, in fact, react as little as possible to any bark. People turn dogs into barkers without even realizing it. Even a negative reaction to a bark, like shouting at dogs, only encourages them. Of course, exercise helps enormously in avoiding all bad dog behaviors. I like it when my dog "talks" to me, using moans and whines, so that's what I react to.

One trick I learned with my dog was training her to sit at the front door when she needed to go out. It's a little tedious, but it works. As we played, every time she touched the front door, I'd take her out. No, she didn't need to, but she learned that touching the front door (or sitting at any door) was a signal she had to pee or poop.

It will be irritating for a few days, making the connection for him by taking him out every...damn...time he touches the door, but it works.

Oh man, now I want a new pup.
    Those are great ideas. It would be great if we could train him to signal somehow that he needed to go outside. This is a VERY quiet dog. Never, EVER barks outside his crate. And now, when we put him in the crate, he hardly makes a peep. It's almost kind of eerie. I love that my son has gotten into taking care of him to the extent he has. After Taz was fed this morning, my son immediately took him outside and the dog went number 2, like clockwork. My wife said that the first time my son had to bag the poop, he was gagging. Now, he's over it. I especially like how this experience has worked out for my son. He is the baby of the family, and it is very illuminating and gratifying to see him take care of something for a change.

mo that dog is freaking adorable. he's the kind of chihuahua i love, the ones that are hairier and chubbier, not the scrawny rat ones (which are cute too, but in that 'so ugly they're cute' kind of way)
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    mo that dog is freaking adorable. he's the kind of chihuahua i love, the ones that are hairier and chubbier, not the scrawny rat ones (which are cute too, but in that 'so ugly they're cute' kind of way)
    Thanks. He has really good proportions in terms of the way he's built. The shelter said that he came in fat because people were feeding him all kinds of inappropriate stuff. But he got down to acceptable size at the shelter. She told us exactly what to feed him and when.

Having never owned a dog, or especially a puppy before, what has freaked me out is how much you have to watch them. I don't think I realized that dogs will pick up and chew on just about anything, including things that they could choke on. Yesterday, he had a grape in his mouth. I learned very fast that you can't let him have free reign on any floor of the house and that if he isn't in your lap he has to be tethered to something. At least until he knows better, I guess.

yeah not all breeds are as prone to chewing on stuff but for the most part dogs are pretty stupid about that kind of thing and will chew/eat stuff that could choke on - unlike cats. they also grow out of it. our black lab chewed up shoes until she was about 2 years-old so for 2 years we were pretty good about not leaving shoes lying around. and then we got back to our usual bad habits lol.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post

the Budweiser Clydesdales from this years Super Bowl commercial
    Dammit. I knew I should've worn waterproof today.

And congrats on the new family member, MKG.
    Squish likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Monhandas, when we got our King Charles spaniel from the shelter, I hung some big jingle bells from a big ribbon looped over the door knob reaching almost to the floor. Before I took him out I would jing the bells several times. Right away he caught on and I can hear that jing,jing from wherever I am in the house! Works.
    MohandasKGanja and olivia like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Thanks. He has really good proportions in terms of the way he's built. The shelter said that he came in fat because people were feeding him all kinds of inappropriate stuff. But he got down to acceptable size at the shelter. She told us exactly what to feed him and when.

Having never owned a dog, or especially a puppy before, what has freaked me out is how much you have to watch them. I don't think I realized that dogs will pick up and chew on just about anything, including things that they could choke on. Yesterday, he had a grape in his mouth. I learned very fast that you can't let him have free reign on any floor of the house and that if he isn't in your lap he has to be tethered to something. At least until he knows better, I guess.
    I only know the breeder of our dog gave all the puppies crate training before they went to their new owners, so when we got our puppy at 9 weeks, she could already stay in the home for about 2.5 hours without needing to pee. But they must have received other training, too, because she NEVER picked up a thing from the floor to really eat & digest it. We'd leave our sneakers right next to the door after we'd walked her and she didn't even look at them or the laces. Socks: ditto. Sometimes she'd pick up something like a rubber band or a piece of paper napkin and then throw it at our feet and look up at us as if to say "you've dropped something" and sit down next to it. What she does try to eat is her fur. She doesn't really shed, but we've let her hair grow out for the winter and the top hairs do fall out a bit, when they've reached a certain length. She'll sort of collect them on her rug, lick them up and mock around with them until they turn into a tiny hairball which she then proceeds to chew as if it's bubblegum. Yep, she's a character alright.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Monhandas, when we got our King Charles spaniel from the shelter, I hung some big jingle bells from a big ribbon looped over the door knob reaching almost to the floor. Before I took him out I would jing the bells several times. Right away he caught on and I can hear that jing,jing from wherever I am in the house! Works.
    This I'm stealing for the next one! What a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dowcat View Post
    Oh GAWD dowcat! Not fair at all! I want this one, with howl included.
    dowcat likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Pinkii, McJag, dowcat and 3 others like this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by dowcat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    both of these are beyond adorable! squeee!
    Brookie likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I need fabulous cat in my life.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Thread Information