Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice on toilet training a new dog

Congrats! We have two shelter rescues, an American Stafforshire Terrier and an English Bull Terrier. Both had histories of being neglected/abused. It's hard work to earn trust but can be done. You're already doing it right, speaking softly, praising, etc.

If you're still interested in adding another dog to the family, be sure to research both breeds for their tendancies with aggression or lack of, with other animals.

Also be sure to socialize them together a great deal before bringing another home. We're lucky in that our Staffie loves other animals, including all cats. The EBT is known to not really like other animals, especially those of the same sex. Ralphie (our staffie) is so calm and easy going, that Maxine (EBT) did great with him from meeting number one. It also helps to have both sexes and not a male/male, female/female combo.

Don't let him lick his incision!!!

I have 2 rescues as well, one was severely neglected (fur all matted and filthy, nearly emaciated), the other was dumped in a park right around summer (vacation) time, and he was also somewhat neglected.

All our dogs over the years have been rescues, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

In my experiences, dogs from shelters don't really know any rules as to where to do their business, and what's suitable as a chew toy. But they learn quickly after a few accidents and the appropiate disciplinary actions.

I think it's so rewarding to be able to give an animal a great life after such a bad start in life...

A*O

Sounds like Simba already has a clue about housetraining so keep and eye and hopefully you won't have to start from scratch. He's such a lovely little dog - half of me wonders how he came to be abandoned, and half of me doesn't want to think about it. I should also warn you that this dog will probably stick to you like GLUE once you gain his trust. Then we have to talk about separation anxiety! LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    Aw, thanks everyone. He's adorable, isn't he? I already love him so much.

Great advice, Elphie. Your other advice has been spot on as well. In the last hour, his tail came up for the first time, which made my entire day! He is becoming a little bit more confident all the time.

Apart from throwing up his medication this morning (I think from the after affects of his surgery yesterday) he has not had any incidents in the house and goes in the same spot outside. He's a very clever boy.
    I'm so happy to hear this. good job! Keep posting pics too!

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    If you're still interested in adding another dog to the family, be sure to research both breeds for their tendancies with aggression or lack of, with other animals.

Don't let him lick his incision!!!
    He licks his incision all the time - I've tried stopping him and he runs away. I rang the vet and she said as long as he doesn't tug at his stitches, it's ok. I hope the vet is right!
    Charmed, it's great that you've rescued dogs and have had success. We are holding off getting the greyhound for about 10 days. I have vacation time right now and am spending it helping Simba get settled and toilet trained.

Here is the dog we are interested in adopting:

In Foster Care

"Snowy" - 17 month old Male
    White
    Snowy is 17 months old, housetrained, and cat-friendly. Extremely placid, would be great with another equally placid male or female dog, he just has a gorgeous nature.
    Snowy was in a kill shelter too, but is now with a foster family. We haven't seen Snowy yet, but have called the foster family, who said he is very gentle and should be a wonderful companion to a very timid dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezi View Post
    I have 2 rescues as well, one was severely neglected (fur all matted and filthy, nearly emaciated), the other was dumped in a park right around summer (vacation) time, and he was also somewhat neglected.

All our dogs over the years have been rescues, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

In my experiences, dogs from shelters don't really know any rules as to where to do their business, and what's suitable as a chew toy. But they learn quickly after a few accidents and the appropiate disciplinary actions.

I think it's so rewarding to be able to give an animal a great life after such a bad start in life...
    That's great, Jezi. I'm amazed at how many of our GR members have successfully rescued animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Sounds like Simba already has a clue about housetraining so keep and eye and hopefully you won't have to start from scratch. He's such a lovely little dog - half of me wonders how he came to be abandoned, and half of me doesn't want to think about it. I should also warn you that this dog will probably stick to you like GLUE once you gain his trust. Then we have to talk about separation anxiety! LOL
    He's doing so well with toilet training - so far he gone outside every time. He ran to the door this morning and I took him outside and he did his business.

You're right - he's starting to stick like glue! I haven't left the house since I got him two days ago. I am going out this afternoon for about an hour and will crate him. I will then make little trips on a regular basis to help him to adjust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphie View Post
    I'm so happy to hear this. good job! Keep posting pics too!
    Thanks Elphie. Here are some more pictures:

He goes up to the bowl, takes one bit of food and runs back to his favorite spot to eat it! Then he repeats that until he's finished.

He's lying on our loungeroom rug in front of my husband's chair. Simba seems much more comfortable around him now.

It's hard to look at this picture now:
    Last edited by Wiseguy; January 12th, 2010 at 09:12 PM.

He looks so much better now. The greyhound looks just beautiful. Good thing he is placid.
    I ended up with 2 males,by accident. They are getting along far better now!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

I am glad things are going well with the new 'baby'. My own 'baby' a 13 year old Labrador is dying as we speak. I took her in yesterday because she didn't seem right and the chest xray shows she is in heart failure...chest full of fluid. Usually they would treat that with Lasix, but her kidneys cant take it. They tried putting her on a different medication last night, and the overnight vet just called me at 7:00 am to tell me she's had a seizure. I have to take my little girl to say goodbye to Lucy after school. We'll put her down after that. Gone to sob some more.

Scooter,no! I am so sorry. Bless her little heart. Hugs.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Scooter,no! I am so sorry. Bless her little heart. Hugs.
    Oh, Scooter. I am so very, very sad at hearing your news. I know your heart must be breaking. Sending prayers and hugs your way.

Elite Member

Thanks guys. She's rallied enough to come home and for the moment her kidneys are tolerating the lasix, but there's not much more they can do to help her. The vet said it could be a day, a week, a month or 6. So every night well tell her we love her and every morning we kiss her before we leave.

Life is funny. This lab is what 'they' say you should never do...a spur of the moment buy at Christmas from a pet store...and yet she's the greatest dog. My 3 year old lab...from the very fancy breeder, who cost 4 times as much and I had to fly to Pittsburgh to pick up....a complete knothead. She has a long way to go to fill Lucy's pawprints.

Scooter, that's fantastic news. Your baby has rallied and is a fighter. I hope you have your baby for much longer than you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Life is funny. This lab is what 'they' say you should never do...a spur of the moment buy at Christmas from a pet store...and yet she's the greatest dog. My 3 year old lab...from the very fancy breeder, who cost 4 times as much and I had to fly to Pittsburgh to pick up....a complete knothead. She has a long way to go to fill Lucy's pawprints.
    it's not just about pedigree though, it's the fact that pet store dogs are puppy mill dogs.

Elite Member

Oh I know! So baby Lucy is holding her own, though I get a daily phone call from the vet checking on her, so that's a hint. She's amenable to eating, as long as I cook for her. So there's a lot of low sodium rice a roni being made at our house with beef or chicken. She also gets about 1/4 lb of rare roast beef 3 times a day to get her meds into her. As of the advent of the CHF, her med list includes: Prednisone (addison's disease), Amlodipine and Benazapril (hypertension), Phenylpropenalamine (incontinance), Famotidine (antacid), Lasix (CHF), Pimobenden (CHF), Spirolactin (cardiac), Plavix (anticoagulant), Misoprostal (anti ulcer) as well as her monthly steroid injection. I am a one woman pharmacy. I know the end is coming soon, but I'm holding it off as long as she's comfortable, alert and eating. My husband has been taking DD skiing on the weekends, but I wont leave Lucy with a sitter, because I'm sure she will die.

I wish I knew how to post pictures of my beauiful girl. Long ago she was the Pedigree Dog Food commercial dog.

Scooter, I'm so glad you posted back about Lucy's progress. She is a fighter! You've got a very attentive vet and you are doing everything possible to keep her alive and happy for as long as you can. I can tell Lucy is not just a pet, but a much loved member of your family.

As for posting pictures, you can do that by going to a site such as photobucket. It's free and you just sign up and then it allows you to post pictures. Here is the link:
    Photobucket

Also, if she was the Pedigree dog, you may be able to find her picture on a Google image search.

As long as she isn't in pain & has some fun,go for it. I would have cooked all day if had given my Ginger a few more hours.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information