Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice on toilet training a new dog

You MUST get them into a routine to pee in a certain spot.. the first few times they won't even know what they're supposed to do so it might take a while. When I was training Snickers I'd take him for a walk and watch him constantly.. if he did his business I'd say a word ("outside") and then praise him constantly... he's come to associate "outside" with pee-peeing outside and it's worked pretty well. The only downside is that if you slack off and get lazy they WILL find a new place to go to the bathroom and if it goes on long enough they'll associate THIS place with "outside" (or whatever word you choose to say) rather than the place they learned previously. The key is to be consistent, patient, and SING THEIR PRAISES when they get it right. It took me about two weeks to get Snickers to where he was comfortable doing it but we had some "accidents" too and it's frustrating but if you're consistent they'll learn eventually. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    You MUST get them into a routine to pee in a certain spot.. the first few times they won't even know what they're supposed to do so it might take a while. When I was training Snickers I'd take him for a walk and watch him constantly.. if he did his business I'd say a word ("outside") and then praise him constantly... he's come to associate "outside" with pee-peeing outside and it's worked pretty well. The only downside is that if you slack off and get lazy they WILL find a new place to go to the bathroom and if it goes on long enough they'll associate THIS place with "outside" (or whatever word you choose to say) rather than the place they learned previously. The key is to be consistent, patient, and SING THEIR PRAISES when they get it right. It took me about two weeks to get Snickers to where he was comfortable doing it but we had some "accidents" too and it's frustrating but if you're consistent they'll learn eventually. Good luck
    Good advice. I'm going to pick a designated spot for Simba. I really, really want to get him. I'm calling the shelter tomorrow morning, and then I pay for him and he gets a vet check to check for serious complications, and all of his needles. Hoping and praying all goes to plan and that he comes home with us.

Good luck! I hope he comes home with you too.. keep up updated

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    Good advice. I'm going to pick a designated spot for Simba. I really, really want to get him. I'm calling the shelter tomorrow morning, and then I pay for him and he gets a vet check to check for serious complications, and all of his needles. Hoping and praying all goes to plan and that he comes home with us.
    How much is the adopting fee? Mine needed rabies & they sent me to a nearby vet who updated him for free. Have to fax in proof by Monday.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm picking up Simba today!! He is going off to get neutered and get all of his shots by the vet. The poor baby will be very sore. The vet will also give me some pain killers to take home for him.

I haven't owned a dog in many years. I'm planning on treating him with Frontline Plus (for fleas and ticks) and as for dog food, I'm not sure. There is so much out there. I want to feed him a very healthy diet.

I'm going off to buy him a crate, toys, collar, leash, treats, a cover for his crate, clickers etc. I'm very excited and can't wait to bring him home.

As for the adoption fee, it costs $240. That includes desexing, worming, all needles and shots and pain killers (from desexing). I think Simba will be very sore today, but I hope he will cope with everything - he's already very stressed. He will mostly be an indoor dog and is going to get spoilt rotten.

A*O

$240 is a good deal. Just give him lots of patient love in a calm environment and I'm sure he'll be fine. If he's 2yrs old he may already be somewhat housetrained but be prepared for some frustration as abused dogs often 'act out' in weird ways. I admire you for doing this - a visit to a dog rescue place would break my heart.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have Simba at home, but he is literally too scared to move anywhere. I put him down and he just crouches and makes as though he wants to wander, but doesn't. I have him inside on a leash. I took him outside and he didn't move again. I went to get some things out of the car and came back about 2 mins later and he still hadn't moved from the grass spot I put him on. If I go to pick him up, he tries to run away, but when I get close he rolls onto his back and shakes. He got desexed today and is licking the wound right now. I'm feeling a bit helpless at the moment. Any ideas??
    Last edited by Wiseguy; January 11th, 2010 at 01:17 AM.

He is in pain,no doubt. And high on painkillers! At least mine was already neutered. This is a lot for the little guy. He has so much to get used to-feeding him will help. He will gain confidence,but not today! Keep patting him & talk to him in your sweetest voice. I think he will catch on, as soon as he feels better. That on the back thing-he is little & is showing you he is submissive & please don't eat him! I hope you wait a while on the greyhound. You MUST remember to always feed Simba first. The big dog will realize Simba is top dog & not go after him. Talk to your vet,too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    I have Simba at home, but he is literally too scared to move anywhere. I put him down and he just crouches and makes as though he wants to wander, but doesn't. I have him inside on a leash. I took him outside and he didn't move again. I went to get some things out of the car and came back about 2 mins later and he still hadn't moved from the grass spot I put him on. If I go to pick him up, he tries to run away, but when I get close he rolls onto his back and shakes. He got desexed today and is licking the wound right now. I'm feeling a bit helpless at the moment. Any ideas??
    Our older dog was very timid when we first got her. We just let her do her thing on her own schedule. She would hide up in the bushes in our yard for a time. I just let her be and eventually she would come down. It took a good while, maybe a couple weeks, before she got fully acclimated. Just be comforting and don't pressure him. You don't know what he's been through. The foster mom of our dog said she probably had a very scary time on the streets, so we had to be patient.

I wouldn't say my dog is now an uber-confident dog. She still is very cautious, but not afraid. I think you'll find that your dog will be comfortable eventually but very aware of his surroundings. My dog is always alert to what's going on. She never totally relaxes like our puppy, who had a better start in life.

Just give him time. He's find he's in a great place and hopefully enjoy it.

You need to post some pics!

A*O

Patience grasshopper! This could take more than a couple of days so be prepared. I agree about holding off on the greyhound for the time being. You have no idea of how Simba was abused and larger dogs could have been involved as well as an asshole human. Just start a routine (feeding time, walk time, etc) if possible. Dogs find it very reassuring and after a while you'd swear they can read the clock! Keep things calm, quiet and serene and keep your voice low and gentle even when praising him. At the moment he doesn't know whether he can trust you or not so no loud noises, sudden movements or surprises.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thanks for the advice. I am feeling a lot better about things today. Simba still has a LONG way to go, but is beginning to feel more comfortable around us. I am using treats and praise, being very gentle and my husband and I always try to speak in gentle tones.

I agree about the greyhound - we might need to wait a little while....

Simba is a very sweet little dog, but needs rewards to walk through a doorway into the back verandah, to walk down the ramp into the back yard etc etc. I can't walk past him, as he runs away. Having said that, he is eating well and sleeps in a little bed next to me on the couch throughout the day. He seemed fine in his crate last night and I'm using the crate a fair bit too. So, although there is a lot ahead, Simba has had a much better day today and we love him to bits. Here are some pictures I took this afternoon:

My heart just melted seeing Simba! Big hugs to you and your baby!
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

What a darling! I think he will start making good progress,now.

when you approach him, crouch down to his level, you will appear less threatening to him. Also, do not look him in the eye, b/c this is a challenge to him. He needs to feel that you are not a threat so he can begin to trust you. Soft, calm voice and lots of treats! He will come around.

Maybe set up an area in your house with puppy pads if he is too timid to do his thing outside. Get him feeling stable and secure. You;re doing awesome already btw!

Aw, thanks everyone. He's adorable, isn't he? I already love him so much.

Great advice, Elphie. Your other advice has been spot on as well. In the last hour, his tail came up for the first time, which made my entire day! He is becoming a little bit more confident all the time.

Apart from throwing up his medication this morning (I think from the after affects of his surgery yesterday) he has not had any incidents in the house and goes in the same spot outside. He's a very clever boy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information