Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice on toilet training a new dog

What a great little dog!! I'm sure you love him to bits already. One of the dogs I want from the shelter gets put down in four days - am doing my best to convince my husband to get it, so this thread has been a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    What a great little dog!! I'm sure you love him to bits already. One of the dogs I want from the shelter gets put down in four days - am doing my best to convince my husband to get it, so this thread has been a big help.
    Haul his butt up there! Once he sees him...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^^I've arranged for the cleaner of the shelter to open up tomorrow morning so we can have a look. Am planning on hauling Mr WG's ass there first thing tomorrow!

A*O

Glad you are planning on getting two dogs. It's really not much more work and they love the companionship. Just don't get two females - you know what happens when bitches get together.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Update. We went to the shelter and we saw the little dog we are thinking of adopting. It is very, very timid. Here is a picture of it:

He is 2 years old and is a pom mix. Any ideas what else it could be?? It doesn't have a name and they don't know its history (it was dumped).

When it was first rescued, it stayed at the very corner of its cage and cowered. It has been at the shelter for a week. When we saw it today, it had shown progression - it was very timid but was kind of sitting in the center of the cage. The attendant picked it up (it was shying away) and we held it. It shook when the male attendant picked it up and then settled down. I held it and it shook for a little bit then seemed to settle. It was not aggressive at all. It came across as an abused/traumatized dog.

My question is this - do I get it? My heart kind of breaks at the thought of leaving it there and I would absolutely shower it with love and affection. But I'm wondering if it's been so affected by its past that it can't mentally recover.

The other dogs at the shelter all ran up to the front of their cages and were yelping and pleading to be picked up. This little one hung back.

Lastly, it gets along with the other dogs when it is outside.

I'd really appreciate the thoughts of anybody who has been in a similar situation and what the outcome was.

what a sweet dog, it has no doubt, a sad history. It's going to take a LOT of time and dedication by the sounds of it (I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just being realistic), but once this dog feels secure and loved it will be a wonderful pet I am sure. It seems to be responding to you already, it's just going to take some time to get him to trust you.

Nobody can tell you whether to adopt this dog or not, only you can know if it's right. I understand not wanting to abandon this poor baby, but if your husband is already leery, you guys need to decide if this is a challenge you are willing to take. Your intentions are good, but if you have to bring him back to the shelter in a few weeks b/c it isn't working out, maybe it would be better to look for a dog that will require less "work". Are you able to take him on a trial basis to see if it would work?

clicker training is a great tool and most dogs respond well to it. It's really easy to do too.
    Karen Pryor Clickertraining
    This woman is one of the first trainers to use clicker training.

I took it as a good sign when they told me mine did get along. Do they have a visit room where you can play with him & see? Mine was on condition-you have 3 days to decide really. Like, I have until Monday noon to make up my mind. (like there is any doubt!) Looks like a sweet dog to me. He may have been rebuffed so many times that he gave up. Give him a chance. He would be a different dog with constant love & security. One thing I can tell you: you will know quickly once you get him home. Mine is just 24 hours and is a perfect fit. His face looks pom but his nose looks more sheltie. Your vet will know. Before you get him,stop by a pet store. Get small dog food. Small chewy. Couple of small toys. Crate for up to X pounds.And a cushion or something soft to go in the crate. He looks like under 10 pounds to me. Might be heavier. But he looks like a sweet dog & I would grab him up before someone else does!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I got a traumatised, abused dog from a shelter, who was already a year old and completely untrained when we adopted her. And she was in a bad state - starved, skinny, and she was terrified of everything.
    I was freaking out a bit at first - I even started a thread here and got some wonderful advice - but within 6 months she was house trained and happy, and 12 months later you wouldn't know she came from a horrible past. We're even getting past the separation anxiety now! She's a 40kg ball of happy carnage. We lost a few quilts and bits and pieces on the way, but that's because we weren't trained either...
    Positive reinforcement, and love and attention, as everyone else has said, is the key.

I couldn't recommend it more. It's probably a bit more work, but 100% worth it. If you can afford the time and effort - go for it!

Good Luck!

Oh, and clickers are great! I found it to be a really helpful tool in training my girl.
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Default Adopting beautiful baby boy

Everyone, you've inspired me to go ahead and get this beautiful baby. I just want to give him a happy life - I can tell it's been an awful one for him so far. McJag - it's been great that you've done this one or two days ahead of me and that it has been so successful for you. Misrule, I read through your experiences too - there must be something extra rewarding in helping dogs who have suffered a lot.

McJag, I also thought it was a Pomeranian, Sheltie cross and have discovered that there is a hybrid dog called a "Poshie". I've looked online and everyone who owns one talks about what a playful, sweet and fun dog they have. It breaks my heart to see this little baby so distraught and terrified. What the heck has he gone through??

Unless the lady who runs the rescue tells me something alarming when I call on Monday, I'm going to rescue this little darling. It upset me to see him so terrified and traumatised. I know it will take a lot of patience, but I can't wait to bring him home and give him lots of love and care.

Thankfully, my husband is on board. He was moved by all the dogs who were so distressed and knows how much I want this little baby. He is actively looking for a greyhound from a rescue organisation, so we will have a companion for the sweet little poshie. I think that’s a great idea and hopefully, the two dogs will become really close.

I am making a list of all the things I'm going to buy for him, including a clicker (great idea Elphie) and lots of toys, etc. I have no idea if he's toilet trained - he spends most of his days in that awful concrete cage with yelping and crying dogs making distressing noises all day. (I left there in tears). But I've geared myself up for that too and received some great info from all of you on crating and having him on a leash inside with me until he's toilet trained. I've decided I will take him to a designated spot outside each time and give him lots of praise and rewards when he goes.

Thanks for your advice and encouragement, everyone and wish me luck! Lastly, any ideas for a name for him?

Both of our dogs are rescues. The oldest was found on the street as a puppy. She was with her two brothers. They were taken to a kill shelter. Luckily the GSD rescue has people who keep an eye out for shepherds, so they were able to get them a few days before they were scheduled to be PTS.

She was very thin and shy when we first got her. Now she is such a wonderful, happy dog. She is the most devoted dog I've ever owned. I don't know if it's because she's a rescue. A few people have said that to me, that rescue dogs are grateful to have a home. Probably reading a bit into it, but I do think she's a special dog. The other one we have is just five months. She's a big bundle of energy. I'm glad I got another dog. The oldest has really bonded with the puppy. They're two peas in a pod.

Is your husband a runner? The greyhound rescues are great running companions. I have heard though, that some have problems when off the leash. That they will run and run and not come back. But I don't know if that's true.

Good luck with everything.

Oh,Wise! I am thrilled about this. You may have far less to cope with than you think. Poor darling will just melt with relief. That shelter looks mean! Mine was nice & new. Maybe they will get a new one soon. About the name: that is important. Decide on one quick, because everyone wants to know it right away. Mine was micochipped before he could leave ,then the vet has to know. Something short & dignified. Leo? He looks like a tiny lion. Rusty? Or name him after your favorite chef. Duff Goldman might be cute. Looks like he might like cake!

Good luck Wise! this is great news
    It may be fine, sometimes animals just do terribly in the shelter environment, all of the sad, whiney dogs, smells are different and they are alone in a concrete run all day. Once they are in a home they usually thrive and I am sure this will be the case too. We get a lot of that with the animals at school who are just miserable and shy or misbehaving in the shelter, but are a completely different dog once they get a home.

So glad to hear your hubby's on board too! Please keep us posted!

I'm so glad you are adopting him Wiseguy. Poor baby is so cute. Who could dump a cutie like that?

He kinda looks like a Ricky.

Thanks everyone. It's great to hear so many successful rescue stories and it's been very encouraging. I kinda think he looks like a little lion too and I like the name Simba. What do you all think?

And yes, my husband is a runner. He has done marathons, triathlons etc and is extremely fit. He is looking forward to running with the greyhound (with a firm leash!) I also love walking and keeping fit and am looking forward to walking with Simba (or whatever name he ends up getting!)
    Last edited by Wiseguy; January 9th, 2010 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    Thanks everyone. It's great to hear so many successful rescue stories and it's been very encouraging. I kinda think he looks like a little lion too and I like the name Simba. What do you all think?

And yes, my husband is a runner. He has done marathons, triathlons etc and is extremely fit. He is looking forward to running with the greyhound (with a firm leash!) I also love walking and keeping fit and am looking forward to walking with Simba (or whatever name he ends up getting!)
    Simba! Perfect!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information