Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: Adopting another kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Royal Canin is awesome. It's expensive but it's the most high quality you can buy without a prescription. My boy is on prescription for his diabetes and to make his $50.00/bag prescription food last longer, I get a small bag of the Royal Canin. He loves it.

BTW, my boy refuses canned food. He acts like it's poison. He runs from it when I try to give it to him! He must've had some sort of "wet food trauma" as a youngster that I'm unaware of since I got him from a rescue. The vet says it's no big deal though since he's responding well to the prescription food and insulin.
    I liked Royal Canin and used to buy it, until I read this: Four Paws: Pet food maker Royal Canin sponsoring bear-baiting
    they sponsored bear-baiting, it's an incredible cruel happening and I will never ever give that company my money again.
    -

^That is disgusting.

Oh no!
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Well, certainly no Royal Canin for us!!

Actually, at this point, he's eating Fancy Feast. I can't get him to eat the stuff he's supposed to and honestly, I need him to eat. That's the most important thing. If he's not eating, all the special diets in the world won't help him get better. He won't even eat his Natural Balance anymore.

Once we get him stabilized and get him to put on the pounds he lost, then I'll try to get him on the special diet.
    Bluebonnet and funky_chicken like this.

Oops: Royal Canin Accidentally Sponsors Savage Bear Baiting Events in the Ukraine

In the contests, dogs fight bears -- and trophies were handed out by the dog food maker. The company says it didn't know the true nature of the events it sponsored.
    • Royal Canin makes food for cats and dogs. It promotes itself with the slogan "respecting the animal nature of dogs and cats." Judging by the bear-baiting contests it has sponsored in Ukraine, the company has a horrible awareness of the animal nature of dogs.

Share this image

Here's what a bear-baiting contest consists of, as seen in a video obtained by the animal welfare group Four Paws: A bear, with his claws removed, is chained to a tree, and dogs are set upon it, biting and attacking the bear. The bear became becomes exhausted and terrified, foaming at the mouth. Men restrict the movements of the bear by pulling on the chain.
      All this takes place in a space demarcated with Royal Canin tape. Trophies, emblazoned with the Royal Canin logo, are given to the dogs judged the bravest.

Share this image

It's a horrific, nearly inconceivable story. The animal welfare group Four Paws uncovered Royal Canin's involvement in these sick events last May, and released the footage showing the contest on July 23. Royal Canin has said it ceased its involvement in the contests when Four Paws approached them in May.

Share this image

The brown bear is protected by law in Ukraine, but Four Paws says that there are bear baiting contest four to six times a year, and estimates there are 15 to 20 "baiting bears" in Ukraine. Sourced from zoos, circuses and the wild, the bears are taken from their mothers when they are young.
      "They live cruel lives in tiny cages with nothing but a concrete floor, and they are only released from these cages for training or to be attacked by hunting dogs," a spokesman for the charity said, according to the Daily Mail. "They are usually given insufficient food and water, to make them weaker opponents for the dogs."

Share this image

Four Paws says it has evidence that Royal Canin sponsored "one than one event," according to the Observer.
      In a statement to the Observer, the company said, "Royal Canin has been absolutely horrified to see these images linked with our brand. The sponsorship of this event is not consistent with Royal Canin's animal welfare policy, our philosophy of pet-first or our vision."
      Royal Canin also said that it knew of the bear-baiting event in the video -- after Four Paws altered the company about it in May. Royal Canin said it immediately stopped sponsoring the event, and it "reminded sales and marketing staff of its policy on animal welfare and sponsorship due diligence."

Share this image

However, the company said it hadn't seen the video at that time, and didn't know the true nature of the event. Now, the company says it has "pledged to work to improve the welfare of Ukrainian bears and dogs involved in bear-baiting."
      "This has been a humbling experience for Royal Canin," the statement said.
      It should be. It's inconceivable that a dog food company would be involved in fighting dogs and the torture of bears. Kudos to Four Paws. The group is still pressing on Royal Canin to do something to improve the life of bears affected by bear baiting in Ukraine, and is awaiting a meeting with the company.
      Via the Observer and the Daily Mail

http://www.dogster.com/the-scoop/roy...-fight-ukraine

I'm glad your kitty is at least eating, Kris.

So, we're continuing on the slow path to recovery. He looks better, is eating better and chillin' with the family a little bit more

Still, starting another round of antibiotics, just to be sure. Tried the KD food again, mixed with fancy feast. No bueno!

Glad he's hanging in there!

Update on Kirby. We're continuing to do a little better each day. I got him a water fountain and put it on the counter in our half bath downstairs. Otherwise, the dummy dog will drink it all in one gulp and fill it with foamy slobber Also, I've been doing a lot of research and I'm convinced the Hills KD may not be the way to go. Yes, it's good that it's low in phosphorous, but it's low in protein and more than likely the protein source isn't a very good quality source (bone meal, byproducts, etc.). Even vet manuals such as Merck are suggesting that cats in the early stages of CRF or CKD need as much protein as they can get in order to keep from losing so much muscle mass. That's what happens to cats, because they are carnivores by nature. So, I'm trying foods with the lowest phosphorous and good source of protein. A lot of vets tell you to keep away from dry, but that's what he likes, so I found one that he can crunch on in addition to his canned food. This info is not easy to find, so the recommendation of Tanya's CRF page has been a godsend. Thank you, albatross, for sending me that way!

For instance, Hills KD dry has phosphorous percentage of .49%. A food like Wellness, which is a good brand, has 1.12 %. I found a good, grain free food called Now. The percentage for that is .65%. So, somewhere close to the Hills. Same with the canned food. Hills KD has .38%. Fancy Feast has 2.25% (a lot higher). I'm trying a few canned foods in the .55% to .70%. A little bit higher, but something that he'll eat.

Crazy, but he's doing better. I think he's put on a little of the weight he lost and he's nowhere near as interested in water. I also think the azodyl is really helping.

Thanks for all the advice and listening to me and my boring stats

One thing you could do since you're feeding a non-prescription food is use a phosphorus binder. I got the aluminum hydroxide powder from Thriving Pets (I found the link on Tanya's site), and I mix it with both canned and dry food whenever I need to give Annie something else to jump-start her eating (I shake the dry up with a bit of the powder and it coats the food). It's light, flavorless powder, and you only mix in a little, so it lasts.

I'm glad Tanya's CRF page is helpful. I go there all of the time to get ideas for other things to try for Annie. Overall, she's doing well (probably better than me), but some days her appetite isn't at all good, and that's when I usually try to switch the food up a bit, and the phosophorous binder makes that easier.
    KrisNine likes this.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Kris, have you checked out Blue Buffalo?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I"m glad he's doing better, Kris. (I love the name Kirby!). And no, your posts are not boring!
    KrisNine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Kris, have you checked out Blue Buffalo?
    I've looked and they haven't released their info yet, as far as the phosphorous goes. I do know that they use a good source of protein.

Quote Originally Posted by albatross View Post
    One thing you could do since you're feeding a non-prescription food is use a phosphorus binder. I got the aluminum hydroxide powder from Thriving Pets (I found the link on Tanya's site), and I mix it with both canned and dry food whenever I need to give Annie something else to jump-start her eating (I shake the dry up with a bit of the powder and it coats the food). It's light, flavorless powder, and you only mix in a little, so it lasts.

I'm glad Tanya's CRF page is helpful. I go there all of the time to get ideas for other things to try for Annie. Overall, she's doing well (probably better than me), but some days her appetite isn't at all good, and that's when I usually try to switch the food up a bit, and the phosophorous binder makes that easier.
    I'll have to look for that. Thanks again. Do you buy it online? or in the pet store?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I"m glad he's doing better, Kris. (I love the name Kirby!). And no, your posts are not boring!

Thanks I think I'll post a pic of the little guy so you know just how special my patient is

McJag, dexter7, Quazar and 4 others like this.

Beautiful!
    KrisNine likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I'll have to look for that. Thanks again. Do you buy it online? or in the pet store?
    I get it online at ThrivingPets Aluminum Hydroxide - Thriving Pets. Tanya's site has a coupon code (tanya - I think) for ThrivingPets, which I've used for a few things - I think you have to spend something like $50 to use it, but you get 10% off. I bought the 1 pound jar, and I don't know how I'll ever use it up. Luckily, it apparently doesn't ever go bad.
    KrisNine likes this.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information