Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: Adopting another kitty

Kris,that is perfect for your daughter. A haul around, calm, big kitty!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Good luck, hopefully it's something simple and easy to treat. Even chronic renal failure can be managed at home for quite a while. We currently have a 19 year old who was diagnosed with kidney disease 4 years ago. He needs IV fluids every day, so the vet showed us how to do it. We also have a 16 year old with diabetes. We had him on insulin shots twice daily, but thankfully he's gone into remission.

MmeVertigina, according to our vet, dry food causes dehydration and contributes to subsequent kidney issues. All of ours are on canned since our 19 year old was diagnosed.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Good luck, hopefully it's something simple and easy to treat. Even chronic renal failure can be managed at home for quite a while. We currently have a 19 year old who was diagnosed with kidney disease 4 years ago. He needs IV fluids every day, so the vet showed us how to do it. We also have a 16 year old with diabetes. We had him on insulin shots twice daily, but thankfully he's gone into remission.

MmeVertigina, according to our vet, dry food causes dehydration and contributes to subsequent kidney issues. All of ours are on canned since our 19 year old was diagnosed.
    I had a kitty that I lost to CRF about 14 years ago. He was fairly young, which was probably why it was caught so late. His kidney function was down to less than 25% of one kidney by the time we caught it. I did the IV fluids for him, but poor guy was too far gone. I still miss that guy (RIP Herbie).

Oh, I just hope for the best. I love my little guy so much.

Our vet actually told us to switch to 100% wet food for now. He said dry food can be too rough on the kidneys of elderly cats. Even if they are healthy.

So, finally, I heard from the vet. Damn, don't they know you're sitting on pins and needles and have a nervous stomach just waiting for them to call???

Anyway, blood test shows elevated electrolytes, elevated liver and kidney enzymes and an elevated white blood cell count. The liver and kidney enzymes are not very elevated and along with the elevated white blood count, he's thinking maybe infection. There could be some early stages of kidney disease, which he said will happen to most cats if they live long enough (he's 15) or there could be some stones developing in the kidney or bladder. So, he wants to start conservatively and treat him with antibiotics to see if it is an infection and he responds to the medicine. He goes in tomorrow morning for some sub Q fluids and an injection of the antibiotic. We'll also take antibiotics home and give it to him for a week and see what happens. If we don't see any improvement by Monday, I'm going to take him in and probably do an xray to see if we can find stones. So, that's it. Not diabetes and no hyperthyroid. We're not out of the woods for kidney disease, but we're not there yet.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. Keep 'em coming
    Quazar, McJag, BoogsBun and 8 others like this.

That is pretty good news, you must be so relieved!!

I am. Poor guy. I dropped him off at the vet this morning. He's getting all fixed up, plus we requested a pain killer since I can tell the little guy isn't feeling great. I hope this helps him

That could very well be correct. I am just going by what my husband told me the issue with his cat was, before that I had never heard of ash being in wet cat food.

He's home. I should have been a vet. $600 later and we really don't know what's wrong with him. Lets just hope the medicine works and this is it. I always tell people, it's $300 bucks every time I walk into the vets office. It's insane.

Constance, what do you feed your kitty? The vet is recommending the hills special diet, kd formula. We bought it from them because honestly, it's cheaper than I could find it online. But, at $42 for a case of 24 5.5oz cans, that's gonna break the bank!!

Kris, we feed Wellness Turkey. It is grain free and good quality. They also have chicken and beef, but ours don't like those as much as the turkey. Our CRF guy will not eat any of the prescription food and he loves this, so that's what all of them eat. He has done well on it for about 4 years. I try to avoid canned food with fish and this does not have it. They also sell it in 12.5 ounce cans which is more economical for several kitties. I order it from mr.chewydotcom, a case of 12 is $27.99 and a case of 24 5.5 ounces is $35.99, free shipping for orders $49 or over. Their customer service is fantastic too. If you haven't ordered from them before, there are lots of coupons on the web for 15% off first time orders.
    KrisNine likes this.

Kris, we feed Wellness Turkey. It is grain free and good quality. They also have chicken and beef, but ours don't like those as much as the turkey. Our CRF guy will not eat any of the prescription food and he loves this, so that's what all of them eat. He has done well on it for about 4 years. I try to avoid canned food with fish and this does not have it. They also sell it in 12.5 ounce cans which is more economical for several kitties. I order it from mr.chewydotcom, a case of 12 is $27.99 and a case of 24 5.5 ounces is $35.99, free shipping for orders $49 or over. Their customer service is fantastic too. If you haven't ordered from them before, there are lots of coupons on the web for 15% off first time orders.

Thanks. That's better than $42. So, am I looking for something that is a good source of protein without the grains?

I'm heading over to mr. chewy

I feed my guys Blue Buffalo.
    McJag and KrisNine like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I've fed mine Science Diet dry food since day 1. They tend to drink more water in one sitting but otherwise they're very healthy. Obviously this is no good for a cat with organ problems but with my 2 I'm hoping its going to save me from having massive vet bills in the long term.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Kris, apparently the canned prescription is the best thing to feed. It has extra fat and calories and less protein. But since our guy does not like it, wellness seems to be a good alternative. The wellness has high quality protein and he has done really well on it for several years. I also tried an alternative renal diet called "HiTor". He initially liked it (smells like it contains a lot of liver), but then got tired of it after a day or so and refused to eat it. Cats!

Kris, my old kitty had CRF and I was giving her Hill's K/D. She hated it. See if you can find Eukanuba or Royal Canin prescription foods, she preferred those. Not sure about prices though...
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information