Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: Adopting another kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey Normal View Post
    One of the large breed cats may be a good choice. From my limited experience, they are kind of dogs in a cat body, mellow, good snugglers and big enough to not break under the love of an enthusiastic child.
    We were told that our kitty is at least part Maine Coon cat. He's very big.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Well, adoption is on hold. We have to take our old guy to the vet tomorrow morning. He's been basically addicted to water for the last week or two. Honestly, I feel like he's been gradually drinking more water for some time now, but I didn't really notice or think anything was wrong until recently. He's always been a sink drinker and a toilet drinker, but I started noticing a lot of urine in his litter. Then, the meowing started. It's all fucking night. He's howling and crying. Not one of us, including the dog, has gotten more than five hours of sleep. He's starting around 3 a.m. and keeps going. I get up and make sure he knows where we are. I'll turn on the faucet for him so he can drink. He's quiet for a while and starts up again. Then, I'm awake and can't get back to sleep. The baby got up one night and was up for about 30 minutes. Saturday morning, my SO and I were both up at 5.

So, I'm hoping it's something that can be helped with some medicine and not something more devastating like kidney disease or cancer. One of my cats had Chronic renal failure and it wasn't pretty. He didn't have an increase in water though. My other old guy that passed a few years ago had hyperthyroid and he acted similar.

Here's hoping it's something simple....and cheap. A high vet bill is certainly not something I'm looking forward to.
    McJag likes this.

Hoping your fur baby is feeling better. Maybe just an infection!
    KrisNine likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Fingers crossed for you Kris.
    KrisNine likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Thanks everyone!! I'm worried about the old guy. He's a sweet cat. The sweetest I've ever had and ever known. Just an all around good boy.
    McJag and sprynkles like this.

Oh no, poor kitty! Maybe diabetes? You can treat that by giving him insulin shots. I hope it turns out to be something easily fixable.
    KrisNine and Bluebonnet like this.

^^I hope so. I've been pretty okay all day, but I'm getting more and more anxious about the appointment. I haven't had a lot of luck with my sick pets over the years. I lost four of my babies in the last 4 years. In fact, I lost them all in an 8 or 9 month span of time.

Ugh.

That is rough
    KrisNine likes this.

fingers crossed KrissNine!
    KrisNine likes this.
    -

So, the appointment is over and the blood and urine are off to be analyzed. I guess there are a few things that he's thinking. One would be hyperthyroidism. He has all of the signs. The drinking a lot, the peeing a lot and the howling that starts in the middle of the night. The other thing he's thinking is kidney or bladder stones. This could cause the same symptoms. He was going to just do the blood and start there, but he noticed his bladder was full, so he took a sample and noticed a bit of blood in the urine. We could also be dealing with kidney disease or diabetes. We should know more in the morning. Please, keep sending out good thoughts for Kirby.
    Brookie, Kittylady, Quazar and 1 others like this.

Maybe he just has a bladder infection. That would be an easy fix.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The vet did say he could have a bladder infection, but he thinks that he has some underlying cause as well. Perhaps the hyperthyroid and a bladder infection. But, yes, I sure do hope it's just a plain old UTI.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    We were told that our kitty is at least part Maine Coon cat. He's very big.
    In my opinion, Maine Coon cats are the best for families with small children. I know I posted these shots in another thread, but this was our blue and white Maine Coon. She was 7 years old and on death row at the animal shelter when we adopted her. We had her for about 13 years, I think. Never scratched or hissed at anyone, including the kids. She never ran and hid when strangers visited. Just walked right out as if it were no big deal. (Now, our Turkish Angora - that was not a good cat with kids.)

My husband had a cat that had diabetes and also a cat who had kidney issues. I believe the vet told him the kidney issues were from feeding his cat wet food, which often times contains ash. Might be worth a thought to look into that! Keep us updated.

Praying for your fur baby Kris!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information